paulbase

HIKVISION No Sub-Stream Playback

Hopefully someone can assist with the question:

Model: DS-7208HQHI-SHA. Current Firmware.

Why Hikvision do not allow the playback recordings via the iVMS-4500 application to be available via the sub-stream (lower quality) method. The live stream can be adjusted which obviously caters for bandwidth mobile viewing, but the more important alarm/motion remote playback lacks the sub-stream facility. If I record at the optimum settings 1080p 4/5Mbs (or even more) bitrate & 25FPS, the main stream forced recordings are near enough un-viewable on any fairly high spec mobile device, even on the LAN connection.

Dahua allows this?

Thank you.

Paul

Dahua does, Hikvision doesn't. With Hikvision there is only one recording, the main stream.

If you are unable to watch recordings even from lan from your mobile, I guess that your mobile must be quite old/bad. I also happen to have a HQHI-SHA unit, and I can playback without any problems a 4mbps stream, from both network and 3G/4G connection (with a Nexus 5).

Hello Securme

Thank you for your prompt reply.

My mobile & tablet are fairly high spec & @ 1080p, 25FPS & 5Mbs bitrate, the playback is slow/laggy & not adequate, even a PC with low spec can struggle.

It seems bizarre that we are all moving towards more mega pixel cameras, more FPS & increased bitrates of data & Hikvision has neglected one of the most important capabilities of the DVR by not providing an adequate way to stream the possible alarm & push video notification playback. I understand you can lower the quality or even select "sub-stream" recording but then this is a step back to 960H or D1 quality, which defeats the purpose of the HD required optimum recordings.

Can I ask what recording settings you have to stream the main playback on a 3G network?

Thanks again.

Some things I like more with Dahua, some things I like more with Hikvision. I would also like Hikvision to have the option to record both the main and substream, but they have never had that option from what I can remember.

I usually record at 4096kbps, and I can playback without any lag from mobile (Nexus 5), tablet (Nexus 10), and computer. Just tested my mobile connection, and it gave me 9.58Mbps download and 1.38Mbps upload (I am on 4G right now).

Hi Securame.

Thanks again for your assistance, sorry for my delayed reply.

On my LAN/WAN recorded playback is fine just about, i3 intel, 6gb ram, windows 10. I am also on fibre (68Mb down 19Mb up) It's the lack of sub-stream playback for lower spec devices, especially mobiles. Your Nexus can by the sounds of it handle the high bitrate/FPS 1080.

Audio stutter & the constant video lag is awful on my Android Moto G & also a fairly high spec android tablet (Hudle2).

Why on earth Hikvision don't follow the correct route & copy Dahua's functional requirements, I really do not know! No FTP facility. Dreadful NAS compatibility.

Apart from all that, their ok!

Hopefully Dahau will follow others so to produce the HDTVI DVR?

Thanks again for you assistance.

Paul

Hopefully Dahau will follow others so to produce the HDTVI DVR?

Hoping that Dahua makes HDTVI units is like hoping that SOny makes games for the XBOX360.

It's not going to happen.

Hi Securame.

I constantly spy on the Hikvision portal for new firmware, loaded onto the 7208 over a week ago. Glad they provided the dual recording but the ivms4500 still only plays in the main stream & no option to playback at substream is available! Pointless really! The new firmware also stopped the alarm push notification to ivms4500, all ok on the previous firmware.