spotmom

Q-See 8816 motion playback skips frames

I have searched the forum to no avail so here is my problem:

I purchased a Qsee system from Costco. It is the Dahua 4k 8816 NVR with 8 4mp cameras.

I set it up just sitting on a table for now with one camera outside and the rest on the table looking at various things to test them out before putting them up in place of the aging Lorex cameras.

When motion is recorded and I try to play it back, it plays back some motion, then freezes for 2-4 seconds, then whoever is in the picture is 10 feet from where they were when the playback resumes. I have tested playback numerous times on 2 different machines that are extremely capable of video handling and on a fast network, as well as straight from the NVR itself. It is like watching a stop motion video, except there are obviously chunks of action missing. When someone is walking they keep jumping from place to place, not a continuous motion.

I tested playing the video frame by frame and it still appears frozen for usually 2 seconds, then leaps forward, resumes play then stops for 2 seconds, on and on. By accident I found that if I played back in reverse frame by frame, all the frames were there and I could see the missing motion.

Now this is not an acceptable solution to have to play back every motion alert frame by frame backwards to see what went on! So, is there something wrong with this NVR, do I have something set wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note, this setup does not record 2 separate streams like the Lorex. Lorex I could set motion to very low quality while continuously recording everything high quality. Then if something triggered a motion event I could see if it was worth replaying at the higher settings and I was guaranteed a high quality recording of everything that went on all the time. I can't do that with this Q-See. When a motion event is recorded the regular stream appears to stop. So if the motion record has issues I don't think I want to keep this unit. Any input would be appreciated.

Could be the system record motion for a specific time period and then stop recording and wait for next motion event to trigger.

Try setting it to continuous recording and see if the the problem reoccurs.

Other possible issues, e.g.

Harddisk speed/connection bandwidth issues (harddisk/system can't cater for high bandwidth HD multiple cameras recording and playback at the same time.)

- Try doing it asynchronous or just 1 camera active to test it out.

I did some trouble shooting and have contacted Q-See 3 times now about various issues. They are not particularly helpful.

I did hook a lapdock screen right to the NVR via HDMI (no TV close by right now) and tested it that way and playback is smooth, so there is a bottleneck somewhere. Either the cheap thin cat5 cables they supply or my router. I am using a desktop wired directly to the router (not wireless) so there should not be any throughput lag, and the lags are exactly the same when I am using the wireless laptop, so it may point to router anyway.

I am looking at purchasing a new one so I will see if that is the issue.

The rep, when I was on chat, had me check my isp speeds (10mbps down and 2 up) and said they were too slow. First off, the Lorex system has no trouble with it when I do remote viewing, nor does the Qsee app, and second, why would my internet speed have anything to do with my LAN? I am not playing back these videos over the internet, I am going straight through from NVR to Router to Desktop, all hard wired.

There is an awful small hard drive in the NVR, only 3TB. I will be upgrading that as soon as I figure out if I like this enough to keep it.

It has been very frustrating. It does not keep settings all the time (it would randomly reboot and all the settings I put in would be wiped out, a firmware ugrade helped a little -it hasn't rebooted in a few days). The web viewer freezes all the time when I am trying to change settings. So I go into PSS to set up the cameras only to find the settings are not the same there as available on the web viewer and some are totally screwy, like when selecting cameras for snapshot and motion detect, all the camera fields say 1 on them, not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 like they should. Just 11111111.

I guess I should go back to the basement and set everything up via HDMI right from the NVR, I haven't tried that since the firmware update.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 8916 doing the same thing. I have it set to record on motion and continuous, like I have all my previous q-see sets. It does seem to happen right when the motion triggers. Is there a way to record constantly only, but still be able to visually see when motion occurred on the playback screen?