jack in oz

Hikvision DS-7608HI-ST recording resolution?

Hello All,

I need to replace my no-name 8 ch DVR. I currently have 6 analog cameras (Samsung & Bosch) connected via Cat5 cables and baluns. I would like the option to add IP cameras later, so a hybrid DVR seems like a good idea. My research so far has led me to this Hikvision model:

http://www.buycameradirect.com/index.php/nvrs/hikvision/hybrid/hikvision-ds-7608hi-st-8-channel-embedded-hybrid-dvr.html

However, I’m a bit confused about the recording resolution. The specs say it will record up to WD1. That’s fine for my current setup, as my cameras are all D1.

Some questions:

If I add IP cameras later am I still restricted to WD1 recording resolution?

How does the WD1 resolution translate into the IP camera world?

Let’s say I buy a 5MP IP camera. Does the DVR just ignore any resolution above WD1?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still confused.

In the summary at the top of the page you linked it says: "Up to 5 Megapixels resolution recording"

BUT, in the Specs it says:

Recording Resolution: | Main stream: WD1 / 4CIF / 2CIF / CIF / QCIF, Sub-stream: CIF / QCIF

Playback Resolution: | 5MP/3MP/1080p/UXGA/720P/WD1/4CIF/VGA/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF

The website I linked says: "Up to 6CIF/ WD1 Recording Resolution & 5MP playback resolution"

So, I'm inclined to believe it will only playback 5MP resolution, not record.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still confused.

In the summary at the top of the page you linked it says: "Up to 5 Megapixels resolution recording"

BUT, in the Specs it says:

Recording Resolution: | Main stream: WD1 / 4CIF / 2CIF / CIF / QCIF, Sub-stream: CIF / QCIF

Playback Resolution: | 5MP/3MP/1080p/UXGA/720P/WD1/4CIF/VGA/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF

The website I linked says: "Up to 6CIF/ WD1 Recording Resolution & 5MP playback resolution"

So, I'm inclined to believe it will only playback 5MP resolution, not record.

How can u playback 5MP if you never record at 5MP?

I don't know, but that's what the specs are claiming.

I wonder if by 'playback' they mean monitoring in real time? Still, nobody has explained the discrepancy in the figures quoted in the specs. See the screenshot.

31506018_DVRresolution.png.47a9ffdaa7f58f4121b0ed75f9e65c29.png

I don't know, but that's what the specs are claiming.

I wonder if by 'playback' they mean monitoring in real time? Still, nobody has explained the discrepancy in the figures quoted in the specs. See the screenshot.

When and If you add IP cameras u will get new settings for recording resolution

as simple as that

So why don't the specs say that?

I've emailed Hikvsion for clarification.

As others have stated, do you think this unit only supports low res ip cameras?

Find the manual on google...you will see a list of supported cameras including 5mp cameras. That said, toss your d1 cameras in the trash and upgrade to 1080p...they are cheap...

As others have stated, do you think this unit only supports low res ip cameras?

I have no idea Boogieman. I can only go on the manufacturer's specifications. And the specifications for this DVR say the maximum recording resolution is WD1. Maybe it's an error in the specs?

Find the manual on google...you will see a list of supported cameras including 5mp cameras.

I did that last week and read it from cover to cover. However, just because a camera is supported, does that mean the DVR will record at full camera resolution?

That said, toss your d1 cameras in the trash and upgrade to 1080p...they are cheap...

That's my long term plan.

I would look at the new qvis or dahua hybrid range ... The hik you have listed is only analog and IP ... The new hybrids out now are cvi tvi AHD IP and analog

Also hik software is a bit choppy