Mavrik

Port forwarding confusion

I'm trying to setup port forwarding for a CCTV DVR. I have read the manual on both the DVR and Router and watched many youtube videos, I'm still confused on how to make it work. I want to set this up manually.

I've done all the basic stuff already, like finding an empty IP address for the DVR to use, etc. My issue is what exactly do I put into the router.

Under the Asus router port forwarding tab I have the following choices to enter data:

service name

port range

local IP

local port

protocol

example; DVR; 7333, 192.168.1.122, 80, both

Please give examples in above format.

On some videos it showed adding several lines to the above for one DVR, is this normal for modern equipment?

Like a line for a TCP number, another for an UDP number, etc. Same as the above example, except changing the port range.

I found different answers to this, if port forwarding is set up correctly, what IP address do I put on the browser to access the DVR over the internet? Some say my public IP, others say internal DVR IP, which is it?

Hello. Consider the following internet resource in trying to resolve this issue: https://portforward.com/asus/ You should not need to create a separate entry for each protocol. Though you may want to to create an entry for each port on the single port page as opposed to the port range page you noted. Lastly, you may want to disable UPNP on the router or DVR or both, if you want to manually manage the port forwarding.

Thanks for your input. The issue is all instructions I see on the web doesn't match what I can enter into my router or named differently.

Asus router, port forwarding tab.

DVR ports, what do I put where?

What IP address do I put on the browser to access the DVR over the internet? Some say my public IP, others say internal DVR IP, which is it?

forward.JPG.6fdd5e622a87dab3f638711f559bf621.JPG

395254977_smport1.jpg.7345330b3c507c1235bd56ad0387ea28.jpg

Hello. In your case, with the info you have presented, I would try two separate port entries:

Service Name Port Local IP Local Port

DVRTCP 4520 192.168.1.122 4520

DVRweb 80 192.168.1.122 80

I assume you meant enter both lines, this didn't work.

I'm so lost on the port forwarding thing, I have tried many variations and nothing works. Is this really possible, anyone successful at port forwarding?

Hello. Port forwarding can be an art as much as it is a science. Perhaps you might want to try the P2P option if that is available for your DVR. Alternately, tech support for either your DVR or your router may be willing to remote in on a computer and try to help.

Could it be because I'm tethering a data line from a cell phone to a laptop? Cell phones do some sort of filtering so the port won't pass through the phone? Should I be able to view the DVR on a cell phone browser? Yes I know there are apps for that, I haven't read about one that works, yet. I still rather view the DVR via laptop, larger screen.

first thing: google "what is my IP"?

that shows my my IP is in Las Vegas. I am 600 miles away in New Mexico.

in between, my IP provider is using NAT, which could take a chapter in a textbook to explain.

I would have to use DDNS, dynamic DNS, which could take a chapter in a textbook to explain

IF my service provider allows DDNS and port forwarding, I might need to update my DDNS info every time I take my cellphone somewhere. This makes the DDNS people crabby

5the best way is to store your video in the cloud, then access the cloud from remote locations. or pay for a fixed IP address, with a wheelbarrow full of cash.