Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

Which UTP cable CCA or annealed Cu?

Not having a wide experience of using UTP cable, I have noticed that not all Cat5 cable is the same.

I have noticed that some have stranded conductors and some have solid core conductors. Of the latter there are most of the less pricey UTP cables that are CCA (copper coated aluminium or aluminum if you are from the former colonies).

How acceptable is this CCA core cable? I am thinking of switching entirely to UTP cable for the analogue systems I install as a point was made several times that some of you do this so that customers can easily upgrade to IP CCTV in the yeras to come. I know that aluminium has a low memory but is it lower than copper which is known for being malleable.

My thought is that it may be too brittle? Surely copper being more conductive is a better choice, certainly more pricey.

Question 1. Is CCA core UTP going to degrade the signal over annealed Copper core UTP?

Question 2. What are the effective differences in operational performance either using baluns or over IP?

Question 3. Is annealed copper core UTP worth the extra money? I would gladly charge extra for using a better cable if

there were performance advantage to be had.

Okay over to you guys and your opinions, all comments relating to these questions appreciated.

Stranded is usually used for patch cords you Do not want copper clad alum buy a solid copper core cable we stick with brand names purchased from a major supply house. Usually end up with General. CCA may not pass local codes.

Yeah I knew stranded cable is used for patch leads because it is more readily bent or curved in tight coners, same with coax used in mobile radio applications. I just can't find annealed copper UTP for less than about £50+tax per 305m box in the UK anywhere and was wondering if the other stuff would work adequately as that is available from as little as £25+tax per 305m box.

little as £25+tax per 305m box

this will be crap from china and may also be the wrong size. £50 ok its not trade price but if you look at it per meter 16p or 9 cents then it is a very good price if its 18swa.

going from rg59 to cat5 saves money RG59 £25 for 100m cat5 £50 for 300m .... like for like in cat5 (100m) is only £16.

no point in looking for cheaper cable