tecmic

Swann ADS 466 Registration

I've bought a Swann ADS-466 Wireless Cam. It's installed with both WiFi and Ethernet connected. Setup can be done on a pc or smartphone app and requires you to select connection mode, if wifi it needs router's wifi encryption but both wifi and hard wired connections require you to show the camera a 'QR' code (which contains network data), this is displayed as an image on your smartphone. You hold the smartphone 4-6 inches from the camera lens and it should flash the IR LED's to confirm it's read the image. You then initiate registration by tapping 'DONE' on your smartphone.

This process is far from efficient or accurate and on a second camera, hasn't worked at all!

Has anyone had the same experience and know what the problem is, please? (I'm in the UK and Swann's Support is in the US!)

Is there a way to manually set it up? This is not a true network camera and i believe it only works via swanns cloud service...regardless why dont you just call support in the US?

Thanks Boogieman, yeah, sounds obvious doesn't it? but have you tried calling Swann Support in the US? It's painful and they simply cover what's in the setup instructions anyway! No, there's not a manual setup option. The real irony is that I successfully installed the first ADS466 and it works fine. I'm wondering if my Ethernet connection may be a factor? It is carried to the cameras by Devolo power line adapters, although as I said, the first cam works fine with this? The ADS 466 is meant to be a wifi cam but I think I'm on the limit for a strong, reliable signal at around 9-10 metres and through a .5 metre stone house wall, but there is a window in line of site with the camera? (as with the first cam)

Mike.

ps My phone's wifi signal fluctuates between 2 and 4 bars in the same spot.

Mmm....good point, but that means de-installing it (PITA) Also, registration, which requires a network connection with Swann's Cloud server, takes place AFTER the camera has read the QR code off of my smartphone and that's the bit that's not working!

(this QR code image contains all the network settings)

Mike.

buy a 50 foot cable if you dont want to take it down and test it that way...

Bottom line is wifi is a terrible idea for cameras...pay a pro to run a cable and you will be able to buy cheaper better cameras ....for the 100 premium for that camera over a hikvision 2032 3mp camera (85 dollars on aliexpress) you can have someone run cable...

At the very least you can just use powerline adapters...

As I said...the first cam is working fine, using a power line (Devolo) fed Ethernet connection. The second one doesn't even get to that stage....it won't read the QR image off of my smartphone!!!!!!! Both cams are mounted on my garage. The power to my garage feeds both cams and internet connection via Devolo adapters. The Devolo control software shows all adapters are connected at maximum throughput quality..... IT'S NOT AN INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM!!!!!!!

The second Swann ADS 466 cam I've installed doesn't read the QR (Network details) image off of my iPhone....that's the problem.

Mike.

Hi you have to show each camera a new qr code .... Can't use on another if used once

Did you buy from maplin ???

If so just return it ....... Don't even start to think any footage your going to need .... Is going to be easy to get off there cloud IF there at all

Hi Tomcctv, within the Swann app you click on the cam you want to set up and it asks you if you want to change the cam's network settings, you can't use the QR image on a different cam anyway. What you can do is delete a cam and add it back in as a new one! Perhaps that's what I need to do?....I'll try it.

Mike.

Ok, I've tried everything I can think of and more and still no success with this second Swann ADS 466 cam, so I've taken it back to the retailer for an exchange unit. This is an exact repeat of what happened with the first unit I bought. If the second replacement unit doesn't work, I'll be after a refund and looking at other manufacturers kit, but I guess that will mean ditching the existing working Swann cam and considering a system with a DVR, linked to my PC, preferably to my iPad.... is there one? I don't like this idea, means yet more wiring and paraphernalia in the house, whereas the Swann Cloud system with ADS466 is working well with the first cam and is accessible on my iPhone and iPad, from anywhere with a signal.

Some progress I took the second Swann ADS-466 back to retailer and got a replacement! This one, at least, does apparently read the QR code off my iPhone (the IR LED's flash as they should) but after approx. a minute and a half it reports "Problem adding camera". When I first got this cam unpacked I set it up in the house just to prove it was ok....and it was, worked fine, it's after I install it in my garage that the problem starts!

Two situations concern me....1) the internet signal is carried to the garage by Devolo powerline adapters, but this is working fine with camera one! 2) I've a sneaky idea that, if you show the cam the QR code on your smartphone, outside, the reflections off your phone screen can stop the cam reading the code accurately? I moved this second cam just inside my garage with the main door open and the IR LEDS now work every time, but it still won't register successfully?

Please....does anyone know anything about Swann ADS-466 setup problems?

Had a call from Swann Tech Support! Apart from retracing my setup actions they suspect the registration fails I'm getting on the second camera are due to their server being busy!!!! Oh yeah....how come the first cam registered without problems? How come there's no lag or stuttering when I play back the short videos off the first cam? Their latest call was at 4.30pm today and they suggested I try again around 8pm (UK time), as their server should be less busy then.....it made no difference! I'll try again around 10pm and if that doesn't work, the camera goes back!!!

I have a couple of these, the camera is a re-badged Hik 2DC2012 with WiFi, mic and alarm in, the camera suffers from all the firmware problems that come with the earlier versions of the Hik's plus the firmware has been crippled, things such as stored video playback doesn't work.

If the camera gets network stressed, or the upload of a clip to the network fails then the process that runs everything crashes, and gets restarted but also resets the time zone to somewhere in the Pacific, does something to the IR cut filter and screws up the current connection to Swann's Cloud. That screw up can also remove the token used for the cloud and the only option is to re-connect the camera to the cloud. Top Tip: use a tablet to show the QR code to the camera otherwise, it needs a big screen to read the code well.

The other problem is the Cloud website, it forgets to talk to the camera, forgets its token for the camera, is often down for maintenance, has a load of missing functionality such as the inability to delete clips between a time range or for a whole camera, or search by date and camera. If the Clould forgets the camera for to long then the token seems to get out of date and the camera will then never connect again until you reset it and then re-connect it.

Thanks for that id5, That's too many problems for something that cost me £119 each! Swann don't demonstrate any technical competence and I've had enough.... the second cam is being returned to the retailer!

Hi there.

Having exactly the same problem as you I think, but this is my first time I try to setup this camera. Just bought it and get this error.

I do not have to mention that the Wi-Fi password is absolutely correct...

IR LED flashes twice...and I can hear even the beep...but then I get this error

286550_1.png

Hi All

Hopefully I can be of some help here.

I had exactly the same issues as stated here. I wanted to change the wireless network for the 466, so did a factory reset and tried to use the app. Registration would never work even though the camera read the QR code ok.

The solution for this is to use the Swann website on a PC for the registration process and never the smartphone/tablet app (for IOS anyway). Although a bit of a pain using a full size monitor to get the QR code read, it works everytime. Before doing this I would recommend ensuring you are logged out on all devices before using the website, just in case.

However, the payment gateway isn't working, but that another thing.

Hope this helps.

Just to let everyone who comes to this thread, SWANN IS STILL FAILING.

This is what happens Swann when you try to develop closed systems. #USELESS

Other manufacturers have open systems, you can use whatever software you like. #Win

I would NEVER buy another SWANN product, like others here experienced; support useless, just repeat what is in the manual and say "it SHOULD work" der yeh. #USELESS

I deleted the app from phone, downloaded again, still failed. #USLESS

They had some sort of server upgrade and it lost all data I had entered into it. So hardly encourages one to trust them to hold what might be critical video in crime prevention. #DoNotTrust

Now going through loop. I had to create NEW account via NEW App on phone using different email.

My old account will no longer work and can't get access.

When I use lost password it says "Some error occured please refresh the screen" REALLY some error!

They have not got a clue!

I did an upgrade of the app, it now has a link saying "trouble scanning" and has an option for a new qrcode, it gave me some hope but said the camera would need 3.0.02 firmware.

Goodness knows how I get that working, bound to be another Swann cul de sac of processes that DO NOT WORK. #Hopeless

The camera is hard wired via ethernet, I can see it on router and have tried connecting to it. #DoesNotWork

I tried changing the brighness on the phone #DoesNotWork

I tried moving closer and further away to scan barcode #DoesNotWork

It really is a useless piece of S&^£

There is no taking it back, so I am going to waste another few hours this weekend then have a ceremony where I video myself smashing it to pieces with my club hammer, it will not fix the problem but I will post the video to YouTube so that others may be saved the trouble.

Actually I may decide to try to find a way to completely hack this so that it is open, then again, my club hammer is calling!

SwannQRTip.thumb.png.b9971ccc3853cc3ea6f311eb478edafc.png

I have had similar experiences to others on this thread including:

Swann Website times out but then will not let you log back in (have to use ccleaner to wipe all cookies and web cache to get back in.

Swann App does same thing but no way back in.

Registering was hell with QR code nonsense, I had to go into back end via wired ethernet, put Wifi details into Camera, even then it was very hit and miss.

If you are going to call Swann support you might be better off calling the Samaritans, they probably have more technical knowledge!

Actually it is the same sort of responses, "I understand how this must make you feel" but no solutions, did not know the most basic thing, I asked a basic question and the guy said "hold on I need to look in the manual" he then put me on hold for 7 minutes.

I spoke to 5 of their operatives, just Filipino call centre, absolutely awful experience. Hours on phone, then you get cut off. They do call you back, but they have very little knowledge at all. One told me to delete app and re-install it, I did, 5 times!

Thing was far too sensitive to begin with, 39 alerts on first day, then I went to test it and got no alerts.

The app has a pic from 3 days ago.

It says camera is offline but it is not (I have a live stream to my laptop).

Swann female operative was the most condescending c^*&$£_, never been treated so rudely by support person, then her VoIP based phone system cut me off after about 45 minutes, nothing was achieved in that time and she did not call back. She did say a new farmwure would be issued in next few days, but I think that is something they say to get rid of people.

One tip when dealing with Swann Samaritans, do not give them to much detail and only ask them to solve one thing at a time. Most support techs benefit from a "story so far" approach, Swann reps go glass eyed.

So far the only benefit I can see from using Swann is alerts to mobile (when they work) and compression.

I have pretty much given up on Swann, you can't depend on their web portal or app, you buy these kind of products because you need to be able to depend on them. So I am just going to see if I use alternative web solution using FTP, Email etc.

I am saving images of things as I hope to put a blog up to help others make some use of this piece of junk.