tonych

Swann NVR460 camera installation

I have a Swann NVR460 and 3 wireless cameras, now 4 months old. I wish I hadn't. My last communication with Swann support still has not been answered since 30th May, despite 2 reminders. The problem: Using a land line wireless broadband, I paired the cameras with the 460 successfully. I then changed the router to a mobile network wireless router, also successfully. My new address has no access to land line broadband, and, in transition, all the cameras were lost. The mobile network router does not have LAN ports. I tried connecting a data cable direct from the one LAN port on the NVR460 to a camera. It worked, and when I unplugged the data cable, it changed to wireless communication through the mobile router to that camera. When I tried to add another camera using the same method, that camera would not work, and the first one I had successfully added was also lost. With no LAN ports, how do I add cameras? I still have the land line wireless router, but, of course, no possible communication with an ISP, and I don't know whether this information helps or not.

OK...I have not one but TWO of these systems, and have spent literally many hours going thru a learning curve since I had never before used/installed/maintained a surveillance system before. However, all my hours have brought forth the fruit these systems offer and I hope to help you out. The information available on these is bismal at best.

Alrighty then, you just want to get the cameras linked to the base station (NVR), correct? This is VERY simple. Connect the NVR to a monitor/TV. Go to system > maintenance > RESTORE. This will completely reset the NVR to factory.

Now, connect the NVR to your router using the cat5 cable. Plug in the cameras to the wall, and you should be getting all the cameras.

Now, if you want to have the NVR wireless, do this: while still connected to the router, and you have a picture from all cameras at the same time, go into the wifi section of the menu and switch from 'AP' to 'STATION' and to 'STATIC' to keep the ip # the same. THEN, you need to click on the camera icon at the bottom in the menu. Place a check next to each camera and then click on 'SYNC'. This will sync all cameras to the NVR. Disconnect the cat 5 cable from the NVR and you should see a signal strength meter at the top right corner of the monitor, indicating the NVR is operating via wifi. You should also have all cameras showing with signal strength meters at the bottom left corner of each camera frame.

This sets you up to get going. Then you need to tweak and tweak the MOTION settings for sensitivity and other things. But the point of this reply is just to get you up and running.

To view online/away from camera/NVR location, we can discuss AFTER you get the basic steps successfully.

PS...if you want the NVR wired (I suggest not to unless there is no issue with wifi reception for the cameras) keep the setting 'AP' and then SYNC cameras.

It is critical, no matter which method you use (wired or wifi) for the NVR, that you SYNC the cameras.

SHould you choose the wifi method, it seems the camera wifi reception is improved, at least in my house.

We can get into NVR location for best/most consistent performance, later.

Quick background - I have a handicapped child that has moved into his own (subsidized) apartment/townhouse in another town. A state case worker was caught in the apartment when no one was there. Cue the NVR-460 system I found at Sams Club for $190. Installed, got the learning curve down, and now I am notified of ANYONE coming or going, front and rear, and also all is recorded.

As frustrating as the learning curve is (I can't imagine any system is different for 1st timers) I must admit, I love the system. So much so that when my work van was broken into in my own driveway, I immediately hit-up Amazon and got a second system.

Extra cameras I have only been fortunate to find, only once. From Home Depot online. I think I got the last 2 they had as they are unavailable there now.

I tried the NVR-470 camera from Wal-Mart, and while it did link up, the colors from both 470 cameras was weird. They were returned. So my sons system and mine we each have 3 cameras.

I really hope this helps you, if you are still looking for the help.

Thank you for a very thorough response. I am going to copy that and keep for future reference - it is so much better than the Swann version! However, my main problem is that I cannot connect by wire to the router. There are no ports other than a Samsung mini-comms port. Although it is a wireless router and has a good range, it looks just like a mobile phone and, in the same way, only has that one port which is not CAT5. I agree, the Swann system is a good system - just a shame about the technical support!

Squirrel!

I'm having the hardest time getting this system to work again! I had it working when I first bought the system from Sam's...I think I was reading a post or something from the web and I tweaked some IP settings to get the thing to work. Since changing from DSL to Cable, I now have a Airport Extreme router and the cameras haven't worked since...I've also bought another same system so I could have four cameras, with no luck. They do show up (sometimes) when they are wired via CAT5 from the nvr to the router, but once i try to put it into Station mode...I lose all cameras...any help would be appreciated!

I'm not sure. I don't use Apple anything.

I'm not sure what you mean the cameras work (sometimes) when the NVR is wired directly to the router. My best suggestion is to follow what I wrote earlier. Be sure to 'SYNC' the cameras:

go into the wifi section of the menu and switch from 'AP' to 'STATION' and to 'STATIC' to keep the ip # the same. THEN, you need to click on the camera icon at the bottom in the menu. Place a check next to each camera and then click on 'SYNC'. This will sync all cameras to the NVR. Disconnect the cat 5 cable from the NVR and you should see a signal strength meter at the top right corner of the monitor, indicating the NVR is operating via wifi. You should also have all cameras showing with signal strength meters at the bottom left corner of each camera frame.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I ran in to, what I think, is a similar issue yesterday at a new client. The NVR460 was set up by a former IT user and wasn't documented at all, so I originally mistook the VIDEO LOSS message as a full failure of the device. While troubleshooting, I found the NVR460 menu, then the networking setup, and found that the camera system was not set up for the internal WiFi, but for the WiFi provided by the AT&T router. The AT&T router was actually replaced by AT&T a couple weeks ago, so I pulled the WiFi settings from the NVR460 (SSID/passphrase) and replaced the new settings in the AT&T router (different default SSID/passphrase) with the old ones. The cameras popped right back up.

TLDR - I think the WiFi settings are saved to the cameras during setup, so if you replace your WiFi router/access point and lose your cameras, try setting up the new WiFi with the exact same settings as the old one. Or just factory reset everything and set it all up from scratch.

Thanks,

Chris R