RonR

Elevator IP camera options

2 elevators, 16 floors, so under 300ft of traveler cable

2 AXIS IP cameras in each elevator

Current working by sharing emergency phone line, but not entirely happy with the setup, can get freezing now and then, and not just when car is in motion, seems to happen randomly, stopped or moving.

Client is fine with the system, been up and running a few years, this is more my "pet peeve"

No open(unused) wires at all, of any kind, on traveler cable, which is why the phone line was used.

Wireless is an option as last resort, not against it just prefer a wire.

There is a dedicated 110vAC circuit for vacuum cleaner plug in in each car, Lights and other AC devices, including the current camera setup are on another circuit.

I have used the newer ethernet over power line units in other applications(not for cameras yet), they worked fine as long as they were on the same phase, and these would be on the same circuit, 250ft apart, wire-wise.

So has anyone tried these in an elevator application?

i am sure there are special elevator cat5 cables available- main criteria is that the cable can support its own weight- so cant just use a standard cable.

2 elevators, 16 floors, so under 300ft of traveler cable

2 AXIS IP cameras in each elevator

Current working by sharing emergency phone line, but not entirely happy with the setup, can get freezing now and then, and not just when car is in motion, seems to happen randomly, stopped or moving.

Client is fine with the system, been up and running a few years, this is more my "pet peeve"

No open(unused) wires at all, of any kind, on traveler cable, which is why the phone line was used.

Wireless is an option as last resort, not against it just prefer a wire.

There is a dedicated 110vAC circuit for vacuum cleaner plug in in each car, Lights and other AC devices, including the current camera setup are on another circuit.

I have used the newer ethernet over power line units in other applications(not for cameras yet), they worked fine as long as they were on the same phase, and these would be on the same circuit, 250ft apart, wire-wise.

So has anyone tried these in an elevator application?

Just finish 2 elevators, 18 floors with TVI cam

new cable was run from middle point

works great

Just finish 2 elevators, 18 floors with TVI cam

new cable was run from middle point

works great

Thanks for the responses

Was this an added cable to the mid-point traveler cable(reel type) or added on its own at mid-point.

And approx. cost, just the cable part, not cameras or setup of those.

Elevator company has to run any cables and were not keen on the idea of adding a wire.

i am sure there are special elevator cat5 cables available- main criteria is that the cable can support its own weight- so cant just use a standard cable.

And yes newer traveler cables do now included a few Cat5 type twisted pair wires, stranded not solid, because of the repeated bending, but not older ones.

Elevator company was not keen on adding a cable, said no.

And generally speaking a new traveler cable, with extra wires, can run from $30,000 to $80,000 per car, installed.

I guess no one has tried Ethernet over power lines in elevators before.

I did checked with elevator company and they said I could try it, nothing against it in the safety code.

Was this an added cable to the mid-point traveler cable(reel type) or added on its own at mid-point.

Elevator company has to run any cables and were not keen on the idea of adding a wire.

Elevator company charged customer $8000 (added on its own at mid-point.)

for 2 cabins

ThyssenKrupp Elevator want $20000

Elevator company charged customer $8000 (added on its own at mid-point.)

for 2 cabins

ThyssenKrupp Elevator want $20000

Elevator installation and repair..now that is a racket...that is where the real money is ...

Talked with another elevator service tech, he said yes, a security company did install ethernet over power line adapters in 2 elevators in an older building he services.

He said they seemed to work fine, or at least the installers liked the results, lol, he never saw the video images.

Cameras were installed 6 months ago

He services these elevators once a month and said as far as he knows all it well

Just an update, over 8 months now and working great

Used Two TP-Link TL-PA4020P sets, they have 2 ports each(internal switch for 2 cameras)

2 POE injectors in each elevator, for the 2 cameras(axis)

Elevator x 2

Camera------POE---------TL-PA4020P===powerline

Camera------POE--------/

Elevator room

Powerline to/from elevator 1====TL-PA4020P\--------------to NVR/DVR

Powerline to/from elevator 2====TL-PA4020P-\

Just ran cat5e from one TL-PA4020P to the other in elevator room and then out with cat5e to the NVR