emptech

FLIR IP dome camera water damage in RJ45 connector using POE

I installed a system but did not seal the RJ45 POE ethernet cable from the weather. It worked fine until there was a major rainstorm. Water got into the connector, by electrolysis caused major corrosion, making the camera unusable. The problem shouldn't be unique to the FLIR, Lorex, or any other camera. However, the wire colors could be different.

I was able so salvage the camera by cutting off the RJ45 in-line female connector (jack). The problem is, there are six colored wires, approximately 26 AWG and the question is, how would they connect to a new RJ45 plug or jack?

The solution is to cut off the RJ45 jack. If you plan on using POE, there is no reason to keep the 12 volt barrel connector, so both can be cut off at the Y, leaving only one jacketed cable. If it was possible to install an RJ45 male or female connector, the following connections would be made. Using the TIA 568A standard, the following connections would be made. Since there are only six conductors from the camera, some pins on the RJ45 would have to be jumped. This is not practical, but if a male or female RJ45. There will be four wires left over, they can be clipped off, unless one wishes to provide 12 VDC to the camera instead of POE.

Pin Color

1 Brown

2 Violet

3 Orange

4 Yellow

5 Yellow (jumped to above)

6 Blue

7 Grey

8 Grey (jumped to above)

By making all of the connections, there will be sufficient lines for data connections and for the POE to negotiate. If for some reason, one wishes to provide electricity to the camera using 12 VDC, red and green are positive 12 volts and the black and white are the common or minus 12 VDC.

I hope this information may become useful in salvaging what would be a useless camera or paperweight.

The solution is to cut off the RJ45 jack. If you plan on using POE, there is no reason to keep the 12 volt barrel connector, so both can be cut off at the Y, leaving only one jacketed cable. If it was possible to install an RJ45 male or female connector, the following connections would be made. Using the TIA 568A standard, the following connections would be made. Since there are only six conductors from the camera, some pins on the RJ45 would have to be jumped. This is not practical, but if a male or female RJ45. There will be four wires left over, they can be clipped off, unless one wishes to provide 12 VDC to the camera instead of POE.

I hope this information will help somebody, I was not able to find it after spending hours searching the internet.

I don't check this forum often, so if you have questions or comments, you may contact me, emptech at surewest.net

Jim

It's too late to edit this post, so I'd like to add something to help. If you should want to replace the RJ45 jack with another RJ45 jack (for those of you in Rio Linda, that means a female connector), the attached drawing should help. Again, there are only six wires from the camera but the connector has eight pins, so you will need to add two jumpers.

Jim

FLIRcamPinout1.thumb.jpg.b7d82158cfc62178db0f9fb3c125cef7.jpg

I had an LNB4421-C from lorax die on me.  I replaced it with a 8MP E841CAB.  After finding this forum I replaced the RJ-45 on the LNB-4421 and the camera now works.  I will save the repaired one as a spare.  Thats for the help Jim.

thumbnail_IMG_5285.jpg