Sign in to follow this  
MartinH-K

Unusual application?

Hi guys...

For my first post on here, beyond my intro on the intro page(!), I would like some advice on a vexing question. As you progress through this post, you may get the impression that I'm more than slightly 'bonkers' but, really, I'm not.

I have built a 1/35 scale, manned model of HMS Hood, the British warship blown up by the Bismarck in 1941 and that prompted Churchill to order; "Get the Bismarck, whatever the cost!" It seats up to three people within it's twenty five foot length and chugs along at a very respectable speed - 20-25 knots.

Here's the thing... HMS Hood's profile, particularly in respect to her superstructure was a VERY BAD choice for a very large, model that is to all intents and purposes, sea-going, on the basis that when I'm in and driving, I can't see anything.

So... I have a Go-pro wireless (and waterproof) camera mounted high in one of the masthead structures which connects directly to my tablet. This enables me to see forward - if I added a small amount of 'mechanization', I could make it turn through 360 degrees but I don't like this idea very much. I DO have another four camera's which are not wireless that I would like to position in different places to give 'all-round' vision. I also have a number of computer monitors and even my 'retired' (STILL fully functional) laptop.

PLEASE... can someone tell me; a) what else I need to get, b) how do I wire it up? The supply will/can be either 12 or 24 volts.

I attach an older picture of me in the boat while it was still under construction. (We have since sailed it four times for sea trials and once at the Dartmouth Royal Regatta to raise money for the RNLI and Secret World.

Thank you

NB The power supply would be a 12v Leisure battery. I read somewhere that these can be used as a 'back up' but not as main and only supply. Is this correct?

665594530_MHKHMSHood1.jpg.41b8fabeffd1b93d3e4e497cc6e3f09c.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the reply my friend. I think you may have caught hold of the wrong end of the stick... it's not less cameras I need - otherwise I'd just use the wireless Go-pro and my tablet. I want to be able to see in four directions so need to install 4(?) cameras... but how? (Back to my original question).

Hi. I think also you need small. Something that will not standout on your project.

I would look at the mini axis cameras .... About the size of your thumb. They are Poe so I small cable to each and also low power

Just use the cameras and a iPad...... The other good thing is the axis also records to SD card so while you are not using to see your way while in the water it will also be a full security system while you store it away.

I PM you some details