ITAdmin

Connecting IP Cameras locally and from Internet to same NVR

Hello all!

First visit here. Looks like a great place!

Here's my situation,

I have 2 buildings at my company and I need to install cameras at both locations. At the building where the NVR will be located, we will be installing 6-8 IP cameras, easy to do, no issues with that part.

The next part is my dilemma.

I want to use the Internet connection at the remote building to send the video from 4-6 IP cameras back to the NVR via the Internet, using a VPN tunnel I can create.

Does this sound reasonable? I do have line of site for a point to point wifi connection, which the distance is about 2 city blocks. I would like to try and keep the cost down and since we have Internet at both buildings, it would make the most sense (and cents) to use that as a medium of transmission.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all

Tom

Do you mean that the same company network is at both buildings? If they are the same all you have to do is put a POE switch attached to the network and give your cameras the right addresses.

No we have 2 separate comcast cable modems, one at each building with different IP's and accounts.

No direct connectivity between the buildings unfortunately

try a CMS system from several different mfgs. I know Geovision has one and so does Hikvision (at least I think they do as the cameras I worked with were rebranded Hikvision) That way you can view all the cameras on one pc and even look at recorded video. You would also be able to do most configuration and replay from the PC.