quackchung

12V DC Power splitter query

Hi

I've just purchased 3x cctv cams, each including their own lead and PSU, plus 1X standalone 4ch DVR box.

Rather than powering each cam with it's relative PSU, can I buy a 4 way dc power splitter, and use just one

Cam's PSU to supply all 3 cams to save all the plugging points?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek-2-1mm-Splitter-Security-Cameras/dp/B00C677ZY4/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1488142611&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=4+way+cctv+power+splitter

Cam PSU...

12V DC Power adapter Model: XED-BS120100CC

Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.3A

Ouput: 12v - 1.0Amp - [Negative tip]

Cam Power...

Power current: DC 12v (+/-10%) 500mA

Note: The standalone DVR also has a DC 12V PSU, [Positive tip] so I haven't put up the specs as I couldn't use

this anyway to feed both box n cams, as the cams require a negative tip, whereas the box PSU has a positive tip.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Now there is a problem waiting to happen. It has always been a standard to have the tip positive and the sleeve negative. You would want to hope there are protection diodes in the power circuitry. Nevertheless you can do what you suggest but if the cameras have IR then a 1A supply probably wont be enough to do the job at night

Now there is a problem waiting to happen. It has always been a standard to have the tip positive and the sleeve negative. You would want to hope there are protection diodes in the power circuitry. Nevertheless you can do what you suggest but if the cameras have IR then a 1A supply probably wont be enough to do the job at night

Thanks for your kind reply, and yes they do have IR that will be required at night. I plan on having 3 (Maybe 4 eventually) cams running at once.

As you know each Cam's PSU has an output of 1.0Amp, and each cam has an amp power rating of 500mA

Looks like I need a DC 12V 4.0Amp power supply to cover the use of 4 cams Then.

Query

I've actually got one cam that states (+ tip) working on a (- tip) PSU! I know some, if not all? electrical devices can work with reversed polarity, a bit like a bulb element has no reason for polarity preference, but will this reverse polarity cause any damage to the circuitry in the cam? Although it's working perfectly for now!

Query

I've actually got one cam that states (+ tip) working on a (- tip) PSU! I know some, if not all? electrical devices can work with reversed polarity, a bit like a bulb element has no reason for polarity preference, but will this reverse polarity cause any damage to the circuitry in the cam? Although it's working perfectly for now!

No way!

if it's working for you

that means your cams are dual voltage or you provide wrong info

It may be a case of semantics but most electronic devices will not run on reversed voltage. BUT they CAN be designed to accept a reverse voltage input. A simple full wave rectifier will correct any reverse voltage and offer up the correct polarity to the device. This is how dual voltage cameras work. This is a cheap and common form of protection in quality electronic devices but I would not expect it to be in cheap cameras where cost have been cut to the bone.

Thanks guys for the replies. I borrowed a multi meter and yes the cam's PSUs had been incorrectly labelled (If indeed I had the meter set up correctly)

Red probe in V input

Black probe in COM input

Selector on DC 12v

Red probe inserted into the PSU's tip, black probe on sleeve reads: (12.3V)

As above but reversed probes reads: (-12.3V)

Proving positive tip, not as labelled negative tip.

Is that correct thanks?