robbybach

KE-4000 Help required please

Hi, my name is Rob, I am new to this site and to security camera systems, though I have reasonable experience with computers and networks. I have been asked to assess a legacy four channel embedded dvr system which is currently functioning adequately but there is no documentation and no one on site knows anything about it.

It is marked as a KE-4000, made in Korea and marketed from Hong Kong and it is fitted with a 232 Gb hd. My guess is that it was installed around the year 2000. It is running three cameras triggered by motion and we currently have approximately ten days of recorded data for viewing. We would like to increase this to about one month. Presumably that could be achieved by increasing the size of the hard drive.

I have not been able to find any information for the KE-4000 on the web, but suspect that it would not recognise the current generation of hard drives. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the budget is quite small as the present lease is about to expire so the future of the business is uncertain.

Thanking you in advance

Rob

Hi. Your best bet is buying dvr with hard drive

There is no point talking about a unit over 17 years old.... just to find a comparable hard drive it will be cheaper to buy sata dvr

Yours will be cif and will also need software..... no remote apps and no updates

Thanks for the reply and your consideration. The advice that you've given feels right to me. that is what my instincts were telling me.

Once again thanks for your generosity in giving my situation your consideration.

Rob

Hi, my name is Rob, I am new to this site and to security camera systems, though I have reasonable experience with computers and networks. I have been asked to assess a legacy four channel embedded dvr system which is currently functioning adequately but there is no documentation and no one on site knows anything about it.

It is marked as a KE-4000, made in Korea and marketed from Hong Kong and it is fitted with a 232 Gb hd. My guess is that it was installed around the year 2000. It is running three cameras triggered by motion and we currently have approximately ten days of recorded data for viewing. We would like to increase this to about one month. Presumably that could be achieved by increasing the size of the hard drive.

I have not been able to find any information for the KE-4000 on the web, but suspect that it would not recognise the current generation of hard drives. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the budget is quite small as the present lease is about to expire so the future of the business is uncertain.

Thanking you in advance

Rob

232 GB Hard Drive, Three Cameras, Potentially recording at CIF and configured as Motion detection, only 10 days of recording? Something was not right with that setup. Either the Bitrate was wayyyyyy to high and the motion was being triggered constantly or the DVR was recording constantly alongside with motion. For 232 GB I will tell you that at 500 kbps bitrate with a properly calibrated motion detection, and only motion detection for only three cameras should have yielded months, MONTHS of recordings before the hard drive got full and started deleting the oldest videos in favor of the newest ones.

All in all, yes, its time to replace that system, if you want to take advantage of the existing coaxial cables already ran on the place you can get a HD TVI version 3.0 DVR which will record TVI cameras up to 3 to 4 MP for TVI version 3 even though TVI version 2.0 (1080P) is still widely available on the market, so you will have to do some hunting to get the TVI version 3 which was released either mid last year to beginning of this year.

If you go with TVI you will need the following:

Get a CCTV Power Distribution box, if for 4 cameras you can get away with one rated at 5 amps, the box is fused at 1 amps per DC terminal connections, no more having to deal with power adapters for each cameras, etc...

You already got coax ran already terminated with BNC heads so no need to waste time doing any crimping or even purchasing a crimper and BNC heads (unless the existing ones are not properly terminated and are really bad).

The only "JOB" would be taking down the existing cameras and installing the new TVI 3 Mega Pixels cameras up, the CCTV Power Distribution Box and setting up the DVR, thats it.

If you want to go the IP camera route, you will, obviously have to rewire the whole place again with Cat 5e cable, properly terminate (crimp) the ethernet heads, purchase a cable tester, it will be alot more work. Its your choice.