Sign in to follow this  
cpu2007

Help choosing home surveillance (cctv and storage)

Hi everyone

I hope someone can help me on this matter as I'm looking for an upgrade.

Here's what I have currently.

4 cctv cameras attached to a dvr system.

Issues: the two cctv cameras that are on the outside aren't great, especially at night.

Recognising plate numbers in those videos is impossible but I understand that this will be an issue with any camera because of the IR reflection on the reflective plate number ?

can this fixed by having a camera that allows to turn off IR during specific situations (a car driving down the road and the camera ir turns off, only the light street will be on, technically that should allow to see the plate number right?)

I was also thinking of using something else other than the dvr, has anyone tried linux based systems or know any? I think it will allow to install better software and do better video processing

If someone can give me some advice on good CCTV cameras (possible IP cameras as I've heard they have better resolution) for outdoor and a storage system (linux based preferably), that will be great.

Obviously I'm not looking for anything very high end and expensive but please advise.

Thank you

Zoneminder is one for linux for your computer.

You will probably need to dedicate one camera for LPR. Google the term LPR walk through.

For good affordable night vision look for Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Ultra Low Light cameras.

THank you

I've seen those ultralight cctv from hikvision, they look great but are quite expensive. when you say affordable,what price do you mean? do you have some links of ip cctv cameras ultra light that you'd recommend?

thanks