Sign in to follow this  
barney10080

Power Pax 3amp for Residential 4ch Tvi System

Hi,

I'm looking at designing a system for a relative. They only have a limited budget. I've spec'd the below:

2 x Hikvision 6mm DS-2CE56D7T-ITM

2 x Hikvision 3.6mm DS-2CE56D7T-ITM

Tvi 5mp 1Tb Dvr DS-7204HUHI-F1/S

I have chosen the camera as it seems to be fairly small so it won't stand out soar thumb. The dvr has been chosen so it will record 25 fps I have struggled to find a dvr that will record above 12.5fps that is a reasonable price.

Im struggling with the power supply. The draw will be no more than 2amp from the 4 cameras even with the Ir on which one camera will be kept in Colour due to its location. I've found the below power supply which is 3amp which gives plenty over the requirements.

POWERPAX SW4414 12V 3A Switch Mode Power Supply, UK Plug - 2.1mm

My only concern is that it isn't fused. The equipment will be under a tv cabinet (well vented) which won't have room for the fused cabinet power supplies I've seen.

Does it require a fused power supply for the cameras? If so can you buy smaller fused power supplies or even an inline fuse?

Any help would be appreciated even with the specs of the camera and dvr if could choose better items.

Thanks in advance.

I'm unsure of

IMG_1235.PNG.091b4d15e816331c09ac33411e6e289c.PNG

> 25 fps

You dont need 25 fps, 6 fps is more than enough for most surveillance needs. In fact on my own TVI setup I have it setup to record at 6 FPS at a bitrate of 3,000 kbps per camera at full 1080P HD. Here is the math: Broadcast quality bitrate for 1080P that you possibly get sent to your TV's cable box is approx 15,000kbps to 24000kbps (15mbps ~ 24mbps) at 60 frames per second (fps), so my 6 fps at 3mbps produces the same image quality as 12fps at 6mbps, or 24fps at 12mbps or 48fps at 24mbps, or at 60 fps at 30 MBPS (30,000 kbps). Effectively, each frame measures 500 Kilo bit effectively giving good details per frame, so setting up the recorder to record at 6 fps at a bitrate of 3 mbps is more than enough, I cannot think of any details you will miss by capturing at a rate of 6 pictures (frame) per every second, and if you are paranoid you can even top that up to even 8 FPS and add 1,024 kbps of extra bitrate for a total of 4mbps, you will get the same quality as 6 fps at 3 mbps but with two extra pictures (frames) per second.

Hard drive: Get 4 TB Western Digital Purple

Cameras: get one that is varifocal 2.88mm ~ 12mm if you are trying to capture a whole entire room, like the living room, a 2.88 lens setup will help you capture as much of the room as possible. a 3.6 mm lense is basically a 90 degree wide angle measured diagonally (going by my pre-wide screen math but because today's cameras are 16:9 wide screen there is some extra slack of extra side ways coverage, but nothing much from top to button, that will only help by getting or unzooming to 2.88mm lense)

Cables: Get a box of 500' RJ 59 coaxial cables.

BNC Heads: Get Twist on BNC heads as seen here: http://www.microcenter.com/product/432513/Winbook_BNC_Male_Twist-on_RG-59_Coaxial_Cable_Connector_with_Spring_for_CCTV_Security_Systems_10-PACK

for easiest installation

Criper: Get Inland WinBook Security 9" Hex Series Ratcheting Crimp Tool

http://www.microcenter.com/product/448475/WinBook_Security_9_Hex_Series_Ratcheting_Crimp_Tool

That crimper will help with the crimping the BNC inner layer to the ground wiring of the BNC head.

Wire cutter: Get the Automatic Wire Cutter:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=635&q=automatic+wire+cutter&oq=automatic+wire+cutter&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i24k1.441.3682.0.3808.22.20.0.0.0.0.298.2491.0j15j1.16.0....0...1.1.64.img..6.16.2481.0..0i30k1.m-oeD2prkJs#imgrc=eGfaoDQEUgzFzM:

Searh Ebay and other source for it, I got mines from Radio Shack years ago, this very same exact one I am showing you from Google Images, Since Radio shack is or is going out of business and they have been closing down their stores progressively you might have to look for it elsewhere.

Male CCTV DC Plugs:

http://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g1-M00-D5-DD-rBVaGVQjjZaATc-4AAOoInc1stk108.jpg/20pcs-dc-power-connector-cable-12v-monitor.jpg

Again, search Ebay/amazon for the best prices, or look for your nearest CCTV supply house where they may not only carry this, but the HiKVision or one of their rebrands (KT&C/DVRDVS,etc) HD TVI DVR, the Camera, the CCTV Power Distribution box, the RG59 Siamese coaxial cable both black and white versions and much more.

Well, thats about it.

Now begin the installation:

Open up the DVR and install that 4TB hard drive you just purchased, if you purchased a DVR with the hard drive already pre-installed for you then you dont need to perform this step.

Power up the hard drive, set an admin password (for HiKVision TVI/NVR it will beep a series of 5 tones every few seconds until you have set the admin password and formatted the hard drive).

Wire up the place with either the Black or White Siamese RG59 Coax cable if the job is internal you might want to staple gun the white cables instead of black, it will look much better on the wall, or use an attic/drop ceiling tiles to hide the coax if you have access to one.

Then install the BNC heads on both terminals of each cable, and the male CCTV DC plug on the side where the camera will go, you dont need the female DC connector on the other end of the cable where it will meet the CCTV power distribution box unless you would like to make replacing the CCTV power distribution box easier in the even it fails in the future, the choice if yours, personally I hard drive straight to the terminal, the Red cable goes to the Positive (+) and the black cable goes to the negative (-) and be sure to observe the same polarity when you hard wire the male DC plug on the other end of the cable where it meets the actual cameras, again the red cable of the DC plug goes on the red cable of the Siamese cable and the black on black...

Okay, now plug in all cameras, by this point you have all BNC plugged in to all cameras and DC plug plugged into cameras, and you have all power hard wired to the CCTV power distribution box, and you have all BNC's plugged into the back of the HD TVI DVR.

Now, plug in the CCTV power dist. box to the wall outlet and turn it on, turn on the DVR and your LCD monitor/HDTV of your choice, configure everything and make sure all 4 cameras shows up on screen, if great then good! if not then check wiring, make sure that you did the BNC heads correctly, and that the ground of the coax is not short circuiting the copper of the tip of the coax, use a multi meter set to continuity and prove the outer metal side of the BNC head and the inner without touching the sides to see if the meter beeps/indicates a short, if true then redo the BNC head and make sure it is not shorting. Next, test power, change the multi meter to DC mode, and prove all DC plugs to make sure they are getting 12 volts DC in the correct polarity (the Red prove to center of the DC jack and the black one on the side of the DC plug), if you get "12 Volts DC" then power is good, if you get " - 12 Volts DC then you have a reverse polarity, go to your CCTV power distribution box and swap the wiring on the affected terminal, maybe you connected the black wire on (+) and the red wire on (-), if so then take out that cable and screw it in correctly, red for )+) and black for (-).

So, now you have all 4 cameras showing up on the monitor, proceed to the next step:

Go to Record > Parameters and make sure that resolution is set to Full HD at 1080P, and that you are recording at 6 fps at a bitrate of 3 mbps (3,072 kbps) and save it, then close the config for all the other cameras (2, 3 and 4) effectively copying this config for all the other cameras.

You might want to record in motion detection, which records only where there is moment on the premises and stops recording when there is no people around, to do that on the menu go to "cameras" or "images" and then click on Motion, set the whole screen or click on select all, then set sensitivity to the most sensitive (to the far right on the slider), then save the page and copy the config for all the other cameras.

Next setup remote to see the cameras remotely on your smart phone, and or laptop/computer. To do that, go to configuration and setup a user, you are able to use the built in default admin account to log on to the cameras with the password you setup the DVR when you first powered it on, or you can create a new dedicated user for the remote viewing purposes. Create a new user and then set permissions, set the user as "operator" instead of "guest".

Go to networking, set a custom port, for example: 35000 for server 36000 for HTTP, etc, and enable UPNP, if your router supports UPNP then you dont need to open up a port on your router for the DVR to communicate with the external world, then setup HiDDNS (If a HiKVision branded DVR) or SimpleDDNS (If KT&C, and others branded DVR), simply enter a name with a bunch of numbers, for eample:

yourname2017 and register it, it will register it successfully. By this point make sure a network cable is plugged into the back of the DVR and that you have restarted the DVR after having plugged that network cable to it. Why restart? Because I have observed mainly in the early times (a year ago or so) that the DVR thinks there is no network cable plugged into after having freshly plugged in a network cable until I restart the DVR and then its alright. If you setup a static private IP address to the DVR as opposed to leaving it to the default of DHCP you might have to still open up a port on your router, some routers have an issue where UPNP doesn't correctly work for uses who uses static IP addresses as reported by some users online. I haven't actually reproduced the problem but I am letting you know in case if UPNP is failing after you having setup a static IP address to your DVR. I would leave it as DHCP and just let UPNP take care of everything if you are not comfortable with the possibility of having to logon to your routers gateway and having to open up a port on your router.

Next, install the IVMS-4500 app on your smart phone, add the new device by using the HiDDNS add option, enter that name you entered when you registered the HiDDNS or SimpleDDNS in my example of: yourname2017 followed by your user name and password you created under users on your DVR earlier, then click on Live View, if everything done alright you should start seeing all 4 cameras right away on your smart phone, if so then congrats, you are done. sit back and take a break.

Wow .

In simple terms ..... work on 1 amp each camera. ...... so 4 amp for 4 cameras ...... but go 5 amp to allow for IR switch on