Sign in to follow this  
Spike88

Adding new cctv camera

Hi,

I'm new to the cctv world, I bought a cctv system with dvr and 2 cameras, I wanted a 3rd camera so I bought a hd 720 camera but when I hook it up it doesn't work, it's just a blank screen, the cables all look the same, the dvr and cameras are called homeguard and this new camera is called lorax, the only difference I can see is that the new camera is HD And the other cameras are 480TVL, I've been looking up online but I'm a bit confused can I convert my DVR to accept HD cameras? Or do I have to buy 480TVL cameras only?

Thanks!

There are a variety of camera technologies out there. Typically you have to match the camera to the DVR. Sounds like your DVR is old analog and the new camera is HD-CVI. If you want to continue with your current DVR, you must get 480 cameras. Did you just buy this DVR system? 480 analogue cameras on a 2017 system is pretty terrible. Can you post the exact model number of your DVR?

As has already been said, without the model number of the recorder it's very difficult to advise.

If you don't have the model number, a link to the web page you bought it from may help?