Sign in to follow this  
cgmartin

Addning cameras in SmartPSS

I have SmartPSS installed on my desk top computer. I have two Q-See wi-fi cameras. When I do the manual add, I enter the camera serial numbers and all the other pertinent information, but all I get is "failed to add device." Is there something else i need to do? Thx.

More info needed.

Are they brand new or have you had them awhile?

Can you see cameras in web browser?

Are they on the same lan as your desktop?

These are brand new cameras. I bought them at Home Depot less than a month ago. They are made by Q-See, a company out of Anaheim, Ca. Prior to installing both cameras in my home, I bench tested them and they worked. At this time I have them working off my desk top computer, using the Q-See View computer application, via Wi-Fi from my home modem. (no Ethernet cable). They also work on my tablet and cell phone. One of the cameras is a dome camera, and the other a bullet camera. The Q-See View program is too unstable, and I want to try out SmartPSS, however, unlike Smart View, it is not automatically recognizing either camera.

Ok. I was able to manually add a camera to SmartPSS by making up a temporary IP address instead of the camera serial number (It was not taking it with the serial number). The temporary test address is a few numbers off the router address (192.xxx.x.x). When I check under Devices, I see a message that the camera is "offline," and "cannot find a network host."

I then went ahead and manually added the router and its IP address, which shows as being "online' under the Device tab, however, the camera still shows as not being able to find the network host. I noticed that under the Devices tab, the cameras shows all zeros for the channel. Could this be the problem?

I am still working on a solution. My guess is that it might have something to do with the fact that my cameras are IP. Adding cameras with SmartPSS cab be done in two ways. One is by entering the serial number for P2P supported cameras, which my camera might not be. The second way is by entering the camera IP address, which I do not have. So now, I guess my quest would be in finding out how I can go about finding out the IP address.

Look for ONVIF device manager from sourceforge and install on your desktop. It should be able to find the cameras and give you the ip addresses and other info.

I was able to download the ONVIF file on my computer, but it is like Chinese to me. I am completely illiterate and I have no idea what to do. Can you give me some detailed guidance? Do I need an Ethernet cable hooked up to my computer? Thank for your help.

Yes, that is the program I downloaded. I signed in as Administrator, but the only thing that displays is the Firmware Address Location of 192.XXX.X.X, which is the address for my modem. When I hit refresh, nothing else shows up

So they work with the Q-see program but not with Smart Pss or Onvif device manager.

Are they on the same subnet as your computer? If your router/computer ip addresses are, for example 192.168.1.xxx then if the cameras ip addresses are 192.168.0.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx they will not be found.

Can you get the ip address of the cameras from the Q-see program?

They are Q-See cameras. Purchased in Ca. from Home Depot. They work on my desk top computer, tablet and Android phone, using the Q-See application I downloaded from their web site. Both cameras are IP, and operate via Wi-Fi in my home (off my modem) . I do not have an NVR or DVR, or Ethernet cable. When I first programmed the cameras, I did a manual add on, using the camera serial numbers. I think I will just stay with my current program. Too much of a problem figuring this out.