PeterGibbons

Power Cable Help Please

I purchased a Dahua 6C430UNI PTZ dome that requires power from an adapter (24V 3A). I thought it might be PoE but it turns out that it needs separate power. I would like to leave the transformer near my DVR connected to a UPS. I need about 100 feet of 3 wire cable to run power (black/red/ground) that can be run through a wall and survive in a very hot attic. I've searched but have been unable to find advice on what cable to buy.

It's this adapter if that helps: http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ac24v3a-13601.html

Thank you in advance,

Peter

If it is 24V you are requiring at the camera then I would assume it is AC & not DC. Regardless you do not need an earth wire. For a DC system two wires provide the positive & negative power feed. For an AC system two wires provide the power feed. The earth in AC (high voltage) provide for personal safety in the event of a fault - something not required at 24V AC and indeed may only facilitate in the destruction of your DVR in the event of a lightning hit (or near hit)

That's very good and very helpful information. Thank you very much.

Would you have a 2 wire brand, gauge recommendation for my application?

I think someone just used plenum speaker wire. I didn't think it was wise when I heard it but i honestly don't know.

Thanks again.

You didn't confirm that it is in fact AC. Never the less a nice medium to heavy speaker cable will suffice. 100' is not a long run so voltage drop shouldn't be an issue ( even less so if it is AC)

Thank you again for your help.

Camera spec is:

Power Supply AC24V, 3 A (± 10%)

Power Consumption 10.5 W, 26 W with IR on

Power adapter spec is:

Output

AC24V(±5%), 3000mA

Thank you again for the help.