Sign in to follow this  
The_Intern

QTN8037B camera installation

Do you have to add an external power supply if the camera requires more than 200 ft of cat5 cable?  

1. 1. Do you have to add an external power supply if the camera requires more than 200 ft of cat5 cable?

• Yes
    • No

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I am currently interning at a plastics manufacturer and am in charge of installing a new set of security cameras. We ordered 8 new QTN8037B cameras to go with our new Q-See DVR. After reading through part of their manual I saw that they recommend attaching an external power supply if the camera needs more than 200 feet of cat5 cable. With almost all of our cameras exceeding that distance I was curious if anyone has had experience with this and if adding the external power supply is necessary? Thank you all in advance!

Hi .... you can't get the answer with vote or pole since you question is wrong.

It is more like 300ft and it's not just a power supply problem it's data as well . You will need switches

Create a local network.

POE should work out to 300 feet if the mfg is stating not to exceed 200 feet that would indicate either a crap camera or a camera that is not built to POE compliant specifications.