Offspring2099

Power supply replacement - wrecked 8 cctv cameras

Hi everyone,

First post here. Noticed this community when looking for answers and was hoping someone can put me on the right path.

My mom had a "no brand" DVR and 8 CCTV cameras (purchased on ebay) setup about 4 years ago. One day, all cameras went offline, no picture, while DVR was still working. I checked the power supply for the cameras and it was dead (All cameras a powered by one supply using a this type of splitter, http://bit.ly/2tk52z6). I bought a new power supply on Amazon with the same voltage and amperage as the old one, that seemed to fix the problem, but a few days later all of the cameras started to show an odd picture (attached).

It appears that its somewhat pixelated, fuzzy, wrong color. Some cameras are worse than others.

My hunch is that I bought the wrong power supply and fried the cameras. I thought I did the math right though. Each camera requires 12v / 750-800mA based on the manual it came with. I bought a 12v / 7.0A power supply. Could a cheap power supply overheat/break and do something like this?

Has anyone experienced or seen a similar issue?

I'm a little stumped, I figured if the power supply damaged something, cameras would just die, but I have zero experience in this field. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thank you.

20180129_10213062461133208_517074761_o.thumb.jpg.d521848c4b51c505a24556e43db3b792.jpg

20182161_10213062491733973_1991400531_o.thumb.jpg.9dde91fd045b59661acedef34dfbf9aa.jpg

20205598_10213062491333963_535687344_o.thumb.jpg.555f668dcfb775092a408ccaaaa14bc0.jpg

Hi. Just for a quick test what happends when you just connect 1 camera ??

This could be something as simple as your recorder is set for wrong region

PAL instead of NTSC.

You might find the setting in setup or record menu

Hi. Just for a quick test what happends when you just connect 1 camera ??

This could be something as simple as your recorder is set for wrong region

PAL instead of NTSC.

You might find the setting in setup or record menu

I was also thinking maybe PAL/NTSC got messed up. I took down a couple of cameras and brought them home with me. Then used a "bnc to rca" connector and hooked up the camera to a couple of TVs around the house. The picture looks the same. My thought was that N.American TV should be NTSC. And the cameras are NTSC since they have an NTSC sticker on them. This way I eliminated the DVR from the troubleshoot. Also to note, I didn't find NTSC/PAL option in the camera settings. Camera settings can be accessed via a dongle that is attached with another short cable to the camera.

One thing I just noticed and not sure what it means. If I try to access the settings menu (on the camera, via the dongle), the settings lettering is clear and not fuzzy like the rest of the picture. :/

Does it do that all the time or only at certain times of the day?

This happens at all times of the day.

Most camera's pictures are very much like the one I attached. Some (maybe 2) are worse, not sure what the technical term for it is, but the picture looks like shades of black and white, very concrete, no fuzziness.

Do you have access to (and know how to use) a multimeter?

I can see if someone I know has one. My multimeter skills are limited. Do you think I should test the output of the power supply?

EDIT: I ordered a new power supply on Amazon prime, this should rule out if the current power supply is faulty.

I can see if someone I know has one. My multimeter skills are limited. Do you think I should test the output of the power supply?

EDIT: I ordered a new power supply on Amazon prime, this should rule out if the current power supply is faulty.

I certainly would. You have no idea what the power supply is actually outputting - in the past, I have tested all sorts of cameras at different voltages (with a variable voltage power supply) and some of the results were a) really weird and b) unexpected!! It's a good idea to know what you know (if that makes sense!!).

Im pretty new here but its entirely possible that whatever wrecked your power supply also wrecked your cameras (surge)?

Ive seen cameras that blew fuses and once fuse was replaced camera was wonky.

I certainly would. You have no idea what the power supply is actually outputting - in the past, I have tested all sorts of cameras at different voltages (with a variable voltage power supply) and some of the results were a) really weird and b) unexpected!! It's a good idea to know what you know (if that makes sense!!).

The multimeter is giving a reading of 12.36 volts and 8 amps.

High frequency noise from a crappy Chinese SMPS

Any advice on what ac/dc adapter to get?

Im pretty new here but its entirely possible that whatever wrecked your power supply also wrecked your cameras (surge)?

Ive seen cameras that blew fuses and once fuse was replaced camera was wonky.

Thank you for the feedback. I also believe that's what might have happened. I'll probably try to get another power supply (if one is recommended). It would be cheaper that asking a tech to come out.