mark1234

Using Cat5 for Replacement cable install

Hi all

I Have x2 swann pro-743 cameras back to back on a wall, roughly 60metres from the dvr when put in the ceiling of the building then along a "high wire" across the yard to the cameras, currently there are 2 runs of cheap "shotgun" cable, the ones you get in cheap cctv kits,

Been up for roughly 2 years and have recently stopped working, the cameras are not getting both video and power signal so the cheap cable has got damaged.

It's an 8 camera system and all cameras are powered off one dc adapter at the dvr end (the dvr has its own adapter) the other 6 work fine as the cables are internal

What i would like to know is can i run one length of pure copper cat5 cable from the dvr to the 2 cameras, using a single set of the internal wire for each camera and the other 2 put together for the power of both cameras together, i would use baluns to make the connections. Or is RG59 my only option? I already have alot of the cat5

would i get any interference/ground loop problems with this setup?

Thank you in advance

My advice would be to run 1 length of CAT5e cable for each camera.

Then use 1 pair for the video connections and the remaining 3 pairs for the power.

Your cameras have a very small power requirement. The additional cost of an extra 60m of CAT5e cable is almost nothing. This will give you flexibility and future proofing if you wish to upgrade your cameras in the future to something that requires more power.

Just please ensure the CAT5e cable you use is pure copper NOT CCA. This is vital.