Sign in to follow this  
erictelese

Cat 5 to Analog DVR Conversion Help

Hi,

I recently purchased a new DVR to hook all of my cameras to. The old DVR had Ethernet inputs on the back for all of the cameras. Some of the older analog/coaxial? wire cameras had been converted with a little converter that has a positive and negative so that they could be used on the old DVR.

The DVR i purchased has all analog inputs on the back. All of the older cameras are working fine but I need to convert the new set of cameras that have the cat 5 wiring coming from them. I tried reversing the concept of the converter. I spliced one of the cat 5 wires and put a positive and a negative from one of the pairs into the little screw-tight converter. It did not pick up any signal that way. I then tried using in-line cat 5 couplers to connect the cameras wire to the cat 5 jack on the end of the old converter rigs to the system and that did not work either.

Please any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thank you all

Would I be able to use this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IXI51X2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506309850&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cctv+balun+with+power&dpPl=1&dpID=41ySZcKHSxL&ref=plSrch

I believe the cameras have ethernet cable plugged into the back of them.. then they are run to the central station. I would then plug the ethernet cable into this unit, and the coaxial side of this unit into back of DVR? And power supply into outlet?

It sounds to me like you have an analogue recorder and have bought IP cameras. You can not just put a connector onto the CAT5e cable and plug it into your recorder. Those items you have linked to are not going to work either.

I can see your recorder is analogue (as there are BNC connections).

To confirm my theory, could you please post a photo of the camera and the cable connections at the end of the flylead that comes out of the camera?

If I am correct, then your cameras are not compatible with your recorder.

It sounds to me like you have an analogue recorder and have bought IP cameras. You can not just put a connector onto the CAT5e cable and plug it into your recorder. Those items you have linked to are not going to work either.

I can see your recorder is analogue (as there are BNC connections).

To confirm my theory, could you please post a photo of the camera and the cable connections at the end of the flylead that comes out of the camera?

If I am correct, then your cameras are not compatible with your recorder.

Just did some research on IP cameras and I am not entirely sure what they are. Will post pics when i get a chance to see them... Hoping they just used cat 5 to run the wiring. If thats the case i would be able to convert right?

Now if the cameras are all IP cameras, theres no way for me to connect them to the DVR? What wpuld be my next best bet? I can return the DVR and get what I need.

The previous DVR was a samsung sde-5001n. It had 16 channels and all were ethernet inputs. I couldnt really find any other DVRs out there like that, hence why I bought the one with BNC connections.

Thanks for the help!

Hi. Old analog Samsung ..... No IP cameras involved.

How many cameras have the rg45 plugs ??

It can be done ....but the problem with the old Samsung cameras is there 100ohms

It might be better to change the cameras with the rj45 and still use the existing cable

Hi. Old analog Samsung ..... No IP cameras involved.

How many cameras have the rg45 plugs ??

It can be done ....but the problem with the old Samsung cameras is there 100ohms

It might be better to change the cameras with the rj45 and still use the existing cable

About 10/15 cameras have the rj45 plugs. The old samsung had rj45 inputs on back.

Can I convert the rj45 to run on the dvr i got with the bnc connections?

These are the samsung cameras. They have ethernet cables coming out of them. Nothing else.

You are saying I will be able to use the kit that I have linked?

IMG_6070.jpg.7fef91a9df27ce51d9b418f6d08da3df.jpg

IMG_6071.jpg.277450958d559aa8c82d6168e7183cb8.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg.c8ab28b484d67a6fd1fdd2a79ec60b6e.jpg

Hi. Yes you have to buy for the camera ..... It also does the power so you need the right connections on the rj45.

But at $19 each ...... It is best to just buy cameras and use the existing cables

There is no point spending $19 on each camera that is only 380 TVL plus the problem you might have with the cameras being 100ohm....... CCTV is 75ohm

For an extra $2

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-AMC960HDC36-W-Weatherproof-coaxial-included/dp/B00YZF8D28/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506375551&sr=1-6&keywords=CCTV+960h+cameras+amcrest

Hi. Yes you have to buy for the camera ..... It also does the power so you need the right connections on the rj45.

But at $19 each ...... It is best to just buy cameras and use the existing cables

There is no point spending $19 on each camera that is only 380 TVL plus the problem you might have with the cameras being 100ohm....... CCTV is 75ohm

For an extra $2

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-AMC960HDC36-W-Weatherproof-coaxial-included/dp/B00YZF8D28/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506375551&sr=1-6&keywords=CCTV+960h+cameras+amcrest

Wow thats awesome.. So i wouldnt be able to use my original link? The night owl $9 converter?

Are those amcrest cameras going to be able to be used woth the existing cat5 cameras? Or do i need baluns on either side?

For an extra $2

Hi. Im still a little confused. Even if i bought thos cameras wouldnt i still need a balun or something? I wpuld use the existng cat5 wiring but i still run into the issue of needing to convert the cat5 to a bnc connection at the DVR

Hi yes you would need this type of balun

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GJISLDY/ref=mp_s_a_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1506438731&sr=8-37&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=baluns

The BNC connector in your picture is not a balun

Arent those little guys i posted the same thing? They look it. Negative and positive terminal to a bnc connection on other side.

Also what color strands do i insert into the balun?

Hi yes you would need this type of balun

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GJISLDY/ref=mp_s_a_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1506438731&sr=8-37&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=baluns

The BNC connector in your picture is not a balun

Arent those little guys i posted the same thing? They look it. Negative and positive terminal to a bnc connection on other side.

Also what color strands do i insert into the balun?

No what you have posted are not baluns...... Sold on the net as baluns ....but 100% are not.

I would use 1 pair for video

Blue ..... To +

Blue/white to -

Then split rest for power

Okay cool. So i will run blue pair to balun and dvr...

When you say split other pairs for power what so you mean? I need to buy a dc power adapter and then splice the other three pairs into a connector that can fit into power adapter?

It should look something like this:

CAT5e-Wiring-4.jpg

CAT5e-Wiring-5.jpg

At the Recorder End

- The BNC connector on the end of the balun will go to the BNC connector on the rear of the recorder

- The power connector will go to the power supply for the camera

At the Camera End

- The BNC connector on the end of the balun will go to BNC connector on the camera flylead

- The power connector will go to the power input connector for the camera

One thing I would say, is that if you are going to the trouble of replacing the cameras, upgrading your recorder and changing the connectors on the end of your wiring, why not upgrade the recorder to HD 1080p and the cameras in key areas?

It should look something like this:

One thing I would say, is that if you are going to the trouble of replacing the cameras, upgrading your recorder and changing the connectors on the end of your wiring, why not upgrade the recorder to HD 1080p and the cameras in key areas?

I was not planning on upgrading the cameras. I want to use the existing samsung cameras and just get them to work on the new DVR. I am going to try the setup that you just described. Thanks so much for the help.

Hey, Eric, the white cube in the pics is just a coupler (extension) for the short wire.

By the looks of that, the cat 5 wire is only carrying the video, the power for the camera is probably somewhere else, possibly at the camera.