Fish

Is the quality of cabling for outdoor home system important?

I'm looking for a basic outdoor security system for my home and had a question about the cabling. Does the quality of the cabling used make a big difference in a residential outdoor system?

I'm thinking of going with an inexpensive system with the idea I can see if it works for me. If not, I would just return the inexpensive system and upgrade to a better quality system. The question I have is about the wiring/cabling. If I have a professional run all the cables to get the first system up and running will the cabling work fine if I ever need to upgrade. I don't want to install new cabling if I want/need to upgrade cameras in the future. I'd leave the existing cabling in place and just switch out the cameras if needed.

Would the cabling that typically comes with an inexpensive all-in-one box security system work just fine if I ever need to upgrade to better quality cameras? Or, should I get some good quality cabling to have the installer use now even with an inexpensive system so I have this better quality cabling if I ever need/want to upgrade cameras in the future?

Thanks!

Its not about quality, its about the type of system you want. There are 2 choices IP system or analoge. PIP system requires cat5 or cat6 ethernet cable. Analog requires coaxial cable plus a power cable like 18/2. If you currently have no cables in place and are starting from scratch, I'd do an IP system so you can always utilize the latest and best cameras.

While I'm not yet convinced that IP is the way to go for basic domestic system , remember this -

HD analogue can easily & cheaply be made to run on cat cable. IP can be made to run on coax but not easily or cheaply. On that basis run cat5/6 cable & cover all bases

know this: if it is not up to code, your insurance company does not have to pay for a claim

if the fireplace causes a fire, and the wiring is not up to code, the insurance company does not have to pay for damage caused by a completely different system with a completely different code.

The appropriate section of the NEC is Section 800

https://www.mikeholt.com/instructor2/img/product/pdf/11LE-968-sample.pdf

the NEC code book costs $220. The local public library has 2, the newer one is from 1985. they are purging books, keeping the ones that go out the most, and scrapping the ones that rarely go out. so, they are throwing out the vitally necessary NEC books and keeping Jacqueliine Suzanne and Danielle Steele novels. makes me wonder if the librarians understand the fundamental concept of a library.

you might want to check the copy in your library while you still can.

Whatever type system you choose, the cabling that comes with the all in one box systems is almost always complete junk. Especially the ultra thin diameter premade Siamese cable with the power and bnc connectors .

As with most all in one box systems, the cameras and recorder and power supply are usually the cheapest junk available. Often causing many hours of frustration and headache. I recommend finding a local supply house and purchasing real professional equipment. It's really not that much more expensive and you will have a local store to go to for fast easy replacement of anything defective and somewhere you can ask questions and get answers. In the long run you will be much happier with much less headache.