Sign in to follow this  
n25260

Multiplexer Help Needed - Restoring Old CCTV Security System

This is my first post and I am completely new to CCTV systems but would really appreciate some advice regarding restoring an old system and multiplexer.

We purchased an office that had an old standard definition black & white CCTV security camera system (approximately 20 years old). The system appears to still be installed an intact, but the TV monitor is burned out (power light comes on but the screen does not light up).

The cameras appear to all be connected to the multiplexer above the monitor, and also appear to still be connected to the power supply box ("ULTRAK KZ0824A Multi-Camera Power Supply - 8 Camera 24V AC 4.0 Amp").

When I plug in the equipment and power everything on, many of the lights on the multiplexer light up and it makes a constant ringing noise (sounds like an alarm). The multiplexer is an "ULTRAK 16 Channel B&W Duplex Multiplexer - KX1600MD". I believe the camera signals are being transmitted via Cat-5 cabling to the multiplexer.

Unfortunately, I do not have any small TVs or monitors to swap out with the big tube monitor that is burnt out, to see if the multiplexer is giving any prompts.

I am wondering if this system is salvageable (or what the alarm from the multiplexer might mean) - if so I have a large TV I could haul up to the security room but did not want to invest money into a such an old system if it's likely not salvageable. That being said, having the existing cameras up and running would be very convenient to keep an eye on the office without having to patrol the entire property. I thought about even buying a new HD system from Costco and trying to swap out the cameras and multiplexers using existing wiring, but many of the cameras are mounted on the roof and second floor outdoor walls, and extremely difficult to reach.

Thanks for your help!

Wow, they have been working 20 years every day and night !!!. You may be able to save "Cameras and Cabling", as they are. Buy an Analog DVR, Monitor, and Harddisc.

Wow, they have been working 20 years every day and night !!!. You may be able to save "Cameras and Cabling", as they are. Buy an Analog DVR, Monitor, and Harddisc.

Black and white 320tvl cameras on new dvr massive waste of money picture quality we be just a waste of time.

That multiplexer uses coax cable for camera video. The cameras probably have individual 24vac power packs plugged in locally or a large transformer with a terminal strip. The video out signal from the multiplexer ( or any individual camera) could be connected to a USB video capture device that could then be plugged into a laptop or pc. You would need a BNC to composite (RCA) adapter. If you have a Micro Center near you, they should have the cable and the capture device. You could also get a PCIe capture card and put it into some pc and stream the video. Good luck! Most if not all equipment may be salvageable. Failed cameras could be replaced with newer ones easily.