Sign in to follow this  
Miguel_rod86

What is 600v cat 6 needed for? Lightpoles?

Hi Ive installed cameras for 12 years but installing on light poles is new to me.

System installed

1x Hik vision nvr 16ch built in POE

8x hikvision ip cameras on wooden post(working fine)

6x hikvision ip camera on galvanized light post(DAMAGED)and even burned out the built in POE on NVR

DAMAGE of the 6 cameras happened when it was raining

MY QUESTION is should I have used 600v rated cat5/cat6? Could it have been caused by excessive static jumping from the street lightning wiring over to my standard cat6? The high voltage wiring and my ip camera cables are most likely making contact with each other as they run up inside the pole. Its just too much of a coincidence that only the cameras on metal light post are out. The cams installed on Wooden posts are working fine.

I guess I just do know the good reasons to use 600v network cables.

both the high voltage and cat6 cable should be run in their own conduit. and do you have entrance protection on the building where the nvr is located. if not you are in an electrical code violation (at least in our area)

are the poles grounded and do you have lowvoltage lightening protection on the data wires running to the cameras.

I checked the poles and the only ground is coming from the electrical sub panel. Which the goes uo to the lamp itself which housing is metal and is bolted on the metal post. So it is grounded to an extent but it does not have its own ground rod to earth ground next to the pole. Sorry im not an electrician, dont know how to properly ground a post. My data cables are not shileded and do not have lightning or surge protectors on them.

Also not sure what you meant about a protected enteance in the building. Protected how?

the cable that leaves the building to the post needs some kind of lightning protection on both ends. If you get a lightning strike it can travel up the cable into the building potentially killing someone or setting the building on fire. or taking out equipment. there are several mfgs of this type protection you would need devices that pass data and poe but trap higher voltages. I am not an electrician but I would contract one to be sure you are in compliance with local codes.

Thank you so much for your help. I will be pulling my data cables out of those post and running my own conduit on the surface of the post. And adding some poe lightning protectors near the NVR.

The 600v rating means it can be safely run adjacent to wires with no more than 600v running though them. Of course if the cat6 wire is not actually part of the same equipment the high voltage wiring is powering, it should be in a separate enclosure (conduit).