Lavender90

Advise please on inserting cable in to the house.

May I ask please that you refrain from this debate in my topic? I joined this site in hopes to receive some suggestions or guidance for my situation

The forum is a good place for advice ..... Unfortunately you get the odd person who takes exception to people doing there own install

Please forget any info from librum it's of no help at all why he wants picture of gas meter is nothing more than to put you off.

For your install I would use cat5 cable ........ This will make your install very easy as you can run 2 cameras and power down 1 cable meaning only two cables needed for your install. Plus will make hiding your cable much easier.

As far as drilling your siding...... It does not matter at all if cold or hot weather it makes no differance.

What I would say is use a hole cutter and not a dril.

Hole cut from outside ...... Once through siding change to a drill bit and drill into house. Where you marked in your first post picture that is where you want your cable............ Look around on inside of room and see if any sockets are at the location (directly behind drain pipe) if not it's good to drill........you only need a 10mm hole 3/8th

The forum is a good place for advice ..... Unfortunately you get the odd person who takes exception to people doing there own install

Please forget any info from librum it's of no help at all why he wants picture of gas meter is nothing more than to put you off.

For your install I would use cat5 cable ........ This will make your install very easy as you can run 2 cameras and power down 1 cable meaning only two cables needed for your install. Plus will make hiding your cable much easier.

As far as drilling your siding...... It does not matter at all if cold or hot weather it makes no differance.

What I would say is use a hole cutter and not a dril.

Hole cut from outside ...... Once through siding change to a drill bit and drill into house. Where you marked in your first post picture that is where you want your cable............ Look around on inside of room and see if any sockets are at the location (directly behind drain pipe) if not it's good to drill........you only need a 10mm hole 3/8th

I comprehend sir or madam, but the discussion was being prolonged by whose opinion is more suitable and I am hoping to stay focused on suggestions please. Despite the unorthodox comments, I was answering lilbram's questions to help clarify, I meant no harm. I did think of cutting a hole in the siding, but I could not locate a recommended tool. Are you aware of a hole cutter I can purchase? If no, I will try searching again to locate one.

Let me try this again, if you have your cameras mounted, and all you need is to get them to the same place. Its really not rocket science. If you can tuck a cable under the siding edge with your finger that's ok. Just try and make sure the cable is outdoor rated. Running the cable isn't so much the hard part, its putting a hole in your house that's the scary part. Try and find a place that is easy, the other post was correct in looking for areas that have no power outlets/switches/fireplaces/stoves/plumbing/drains etc... either very close left or right or above or below on either floor. The idea is to go in somewhere that there isn't anything else. If your camera dvr is going to be placed in your living room (not your cable tv dvr it doesn't do video cameras) can it go on the wall in the picture? The back wall of the house? If it can then you should be able to lift up the bottom piece of vinyl from the bottom channel and be able to drill a hole in the plywood sheathing to allow you to push the cables into the wall. If you can find a good place on that wall heres how I would do it based on what I can see. Measure from the corner of the wall to where I want the dvr make sure that that area is 18 inches above the floor or even with all of your other wall sockets if they aren't 18 inches up, check with a stud finder and make sure you're about in the middle of the wall studs, they will be between 16 and 18 inches apart. Measure from the outside corner of the house to the same spot only add 2 inches. If you still don't see anything stopping you from going in there start from inside the house. Purchase a low voltage box eliminator from the hardware store, its about $1.50 and find a single gang faceplate to put on it this one is easy and has plenty of space and is clean

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-1-Gang-White-Recessed-Cable-Access-Recessed-Wall-Plate/3125961

cut the hole in the drywall for the box (inside dimensions not outside) this hole is wide enough for a smaller hand so you should be able to feel inside the wall and make sure you're not blocked by anything. Next drill your hold under the siding through the plywood, it doesn't have to be 18 inches up but since you're on a slab try to be 6 or inches above the bottom, its ok if its angles up. Stick your cables through the hole and reach in from the inside of the house and grab em, pull em up and put them through the wall, install the box elim and the plate and there you go.

I assume you're using preterminated cctv/power cable so make sure your drill hole is large enough to hadle the three cables side by side and one end (that way you can put all 4 through)

just so we all know what is that that looks like a dark line going into a conduit in the living room area of the picture? Its about two feet to the right of the window and about a foot above the floor. That a gas fireplace or cable tv?

just so we all know what is that that looks like a dark line going into a conduit in the living room area of the picture? Its about two feet to the right of the window and about a foot above the floor. That a gas fireplace or cable tv?

The op has marked out we’re cables are going why make it harder

Why are you going on about gas ??

This has to be one of the stupidest posts in a long time

War and peace version......

Pictures of gas meters .... gas pipe in the way even tho it’s no we’re near we’re op wants cable

dude why are you so troll? I'm trying to help her out, she said she cannot even afford an hour of someones time to show here where and what to do (not what you wrote), she said her dvr is IN the living room, not that she would like to have it there, meaning I asked about the cable to make sure she isn't thinking her cable dvr will handle the cameras. And don't suggest running cameras over cat 5 and splitting pairs, ya know since there is an impedence mismatch and that requires baluns to correct to someone who clearly said she isn't at all familiar with wiring or how it works.

dude why are you so troll? I'm trying to help her out, she said she cannot even afford an hour of someones time to show here where and what to do (not what you wrote), she said her dvr is IN the living room, not that she would like to have it there, meaning I asked about the cable to make sure she isn't thinking her cable dvr will handle the cameras. And don't suggest running cameras over cat 5 and splitting pairs, ya know since there is an impedence mismatch and that requires baluns to correct to someone who clearly said she isn't at all familiar with wiring or how it works.

Another who does not know anything ...... you know nothing of cctv or of cableing

Don’t surgest using cat5 ...........2 cables vs 8 .... why try to hide 8 and not only two why have big hole into living room when 3/8 will do ..... yes we know about baluns

The lady has already said multiple times she is on a low budget ...... what would she need to buy and learn to use if she went coax. (Coax tools) and only use them once . (Budget does not allow that). 8 lengths of coax agin to help budget 2 lengths of cat5.........baluns cost the same as bnc.

Op has already sent picture of cable entry location why do you think you can change it

You have taken 3 pages of a simple post on how to drill for cable entry.

Get someone in ........ you have been told many times not in budget

Why start asking of gas meter .... pointless stupid question

You have to also understand forums .... many people reply ........ and you don’t need to not agree what others post ...... and I stand by what I surgested on best option for this install is cat5 for one it’s cheapest 2 much neater and will not leave a big bunch of coax in her living room

And I think most installers would also say this install is best in cat5

sure I'd put in cat 5, with baluns, but then again I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING! You sir are just another one of the hacks that comes in, thinks he knows everything and doesn't listen to a customer or person seeking advice. As a professional its OUR job to ask questions that the person in need doesn't know to ask, and not to throw out every option possible as to confuse them so we can just do what you want.

First your accuse me of gouging by trying to suggest that someone with no knowledge get actual help

then you twist my suggestion into what you would like and then you demean the questions that one should ask of someone who is ignorant (ignorance isn't a bad thing....it just means you are unaware of what you would need to know)

like many people in the world you obviously can't clearly read and comprehend instruction or conversation so let me be clear.

You sir are aggressive, unprofessional, and I suspect that your actual low voltage knowledge is severely lacking and you are intrusive troll who I will not dane to respond to you any further!

sure I'd put in cat 5, with baluns, but then again I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING! You sir are just another one of the hacks that comes in, thinks he knows everything and doesn't listen to a customer or person seeking advice. As a professional its OUR job to ask questions that the person in need doesn't know to ask, and not to throw out every option possible as to confuse them so we can just do what you want.

First your accuse me of gouging by trying to suggest that someone with no knowledge get actual help

then you twist my suggestion into what you would like and then you demean the questions that one should ask of someone who is ignorant (ignorance isn't a bad thing....it just means you are unaware of what you would need to know)

like many people in the world you obviously can't clearly read and comprehend instruction or conversation so let me be clear.

You sir are aggressive, unprofessional, and I suspect that your actual low voltage knowledge is severely lacking and you are intrusive troll who I will not dane to respond to you any further!

Another idiot....... I am ponting out your crap ... gas meters...... moving location even when op sent a picture of her location...... pointing out cat5 is much better than your coax surgestion...... pointing out cat5 is better for ops budget which saves having to buy tools not needed

And here you are again with your opinions about me .. you know nothing of me or my companies ........ so stop your guessing

Can you two please not argue, as this is not helping me at all and prolonging the the delay of help. I want the discussion to be peaceful, so please do not resort to name calling despite if you disagree with each other.

libram is asking of the gas to possibly be informed of possible gas pipes within the walls, which I do not have a problem answering. I am not certain of interior gas pipes in the home to provide an answer, and no that is not a conduit or fireplace. The gas fireplace is in the dining room for clarification. I have contacted the company to receive information to ensure on the cables quality for outdoor usage. I am undecided with the location of where to place the DVR, but I am choosing near the wall as you mentioned or near the window in the living room.

I have purchased a similar recessed wall plate Friday, and I am purchasing the low voltage box next. I thank you libram for being kind to provide answers, the same for tomcctv and the other respondents. I am writing down the suggestions, if any member has more please share.

Hi. I don't think there is much more advice anyone can give .

If you start again from your first post ........and please forget anything to do with gas pipes. It's something that is holding you back from having the conference from drilling holes ........and I can tell you ..... You have no gas pipe in the location you want to drill.

As far as cable ..... For 4 camera system I would use cat5. You only need to run two cables ..... Coax you need 4 for video and 4 for power ..... And that is a lot of cable to hide.

Can you post new pictures of back and front of your home and each side.

Your picture of camera on back of home is in the wrong area as it is located above the door but on a over hang so will never cover your door or window.

Pictures would help