Lavender90

Advise please on inserting cable in to the house.

Greetings to the individual reading, I am seeking information on how to insert the power cables in the house while avoiding severe damage to the vinyl siding and using the vinyl soffit and crawl attic. I have searched for answers through on different sites, but I have yet to find an answer to assist me.

304132_1.jpg

I have the Amcrest 1080p 4 channel HDCVI system, and I am hoping to insert three of the cables to any area where the red circle is displayed in the picture. Since there is wood under the vinyl sidings, I am curious if I can lift the vinyl siding and drill in the preferred area, but I want a second opinion from who is more experienced. I apologise for being ignorant, as this is my first time installing security cameras.

Greetings to the individual reading, I am seeking information on how to insert the power cables in the house while avoiding severe damage to the vinyl siding and using the vinyl soffit and crawl attic. I have searched for answers through on different sites, but I have yet to find an answer to assist me.

304132_1.jpg

I have the Amcrest 1080p 4 channel HDCVI system, and I am hoping to insert three of the cables to any area where the red circle is displayed in the picture. Since there is wood under the vinyl sidings, I am curious if I can lift the vinyl siding and drill in the preferred area, but I want a second opinion from who is more experienced. I apologise for being ignorant, as this is my first time installing security cameras.

Use a spade bit from the outside going in, find a spade bit size hole that would fit all of your cables ( rem the heads are bigger than the cable). Also since the cables are coming out from that low, will you be using conduit pipe?

Use a spade bit from the outside going in, find a spade bit size hole that would fit all of your cables ( rem the heads are bigger than the cable). Also since the cables are coming out from that low, will you be using conduit pipe?

I thank you for responding, but may I request more information please. I have read from different articles that drilling in vinyl siding must be completed with caution, including in cold weather which is present here in Georgia currently. I have a 3/4 Spade bit, so I will search what is the best method of drilling in to vinyl siding when the weather is cold. No, I have decided to not use a conduit pipe.

Hi. I would remove drain down pipe and drill hole that way you won’t see cables once drain pipe is re fitted.

I would not do to much reading ...... I don’t see why anyone would think there is a problem drilling cold siding....... drill bit will generate heat as soon as you start to drill

Hi. I would remove drain down pipe and drill hole that way you won’t see cables once drain pipe is re fitted.

I would not do to much reading ...... I don’t see why anyone would think there is a problem drilling cold siding....... drill bit will generate heat as soon as you start to drill

Thank you for commenting tomcctv. I did not think to drill there, so I will consider the suggestion. I will use my stud finder and hope no wires or beams are near the drain pipe. I only want to search for answers carefully so I do not make any errors, as this is my first time with installing cameras.

Lift up the siding and you should have only one or two main penetrations going outside. You can hide all the cabling behind the siding pretty easily, just use outdoor rated cable.

What exactly are you worried about?

Lift up the siding and you should have only one or two main penetrations going outside. You can hide all the cabling behind the siding pretty easily, just use outdoor rated cable.

What exactly are you worried about?

I thank you for responding, I will consider your suggestion once I begin installing next week. I only want to be informed since this will be me and my siblings first time installing cameras to our house, and I do not want to make any mistakes to add more damage since our house was damaged in the past by teenagers. May I ask if do begin drilling, do begin inside or outside first?

Edit: I am editing to add more detailed picture of the back yard, I hope this will be more of an assistance.

304334_1.jpg

outside in drilling usually as you do not want to push the siding away from the house. You do need to measure so you are sure were you are going to come out inside.

I thank you for responding. May I ask do I drill the vinyl siding at a slow setting (if possible), and do I need a conduit? I have purchased vinyl siding clips since I was not aware if I would need the conduit or not.

304566_1.jpg

outside in drilling usually as you do not want to push the siding away from the house. You do need to measure so you are sure were you are going to come out inside.

I thank you for responding. May I ask do I drill the vinyl siding at a slow setting (if possible), and do I need a conduit? I have purchased vinyl siding clips since I was not aware if I would need the conduit or not.

304566_1.jpg

Note: Only drill the siding where you are mounting cameras not just to get the cable through. You should keep the holes underneath the siding as much as possible. How many cameras are you installing and where on the house are you mounting them?

Note: Only drill the siding where you are mounting cameras not just to get the cable through. You should keep the holes underneath the siding as much as possible. How many cameras are you installing and where on the house are you mounting them?

I apologise for not mentioning the number, I have four cameras total. I am aware of the locations I want to place the cameras, with three being mounted on the siding trim on our house since I noticed a neighbor has done this for his cameras. I have taken an example picture to show:

304634_1.jpg

I did not purchase a mounting plate yet, as I thought my neighbor's method was easier. He only suggested that I drill where I want to insert the cables through the vinyl, but for a beginner as me I am hoping to receive more helpful guidance please. I have some equipment currently (Drill, siding clips, siding removal tool, stud finder, caulk), but what has me hesitant to begin is what to do properly. How do I drill and not damage the vinyl siding or can placing the cables under the vinyl and drill a hole for the cables possible?

look on craigslist for an alarm tech (actually employed by an alarm company) looking for extra work. Those guys are always running wires in existing residential construction and will get it done clean fast and cheap. You're hesitant to start drilling into your house and you should be as you don't know all the ins and outs of adding electronics wiring to the home. You should be! There are hundreds of ways to screw up and only experience lets you avoid them. No matter how many pictures are posted NOONE can guide you through everything that needs to be considered unless they are there and do it, and even then we can still screw up some. Experience lets us have the best chance at success or at least a fixable screw up. Hire a local guy who knows what hes doing.

look on craigslist for an alarm tech (actually employed by an alarm company) looking for extra work. Those guys are always running wires in existing residential construction and will get it done clean fast and cheap. You're hesitant to start drilling into your house and you should be as you don't know all the ins and outs of adding electronics wiring to the home. You should be! There are hundreds of ways to screw up and only experience lets you avoid them. No matter how many pictures are posted NOONE can guide you through everything that needs to be considered unless they are there and do it, and even then we can still screw up some. Experience lets us have the best chance at success or at least a fixable screw up. Hire a local guy who knows what hes doing.

I thank you for responding, but unfortunately we do not have the money to request professional assistance at this moment. I am asking my neighbor who has installed cameras on his house and currently waiting for his answer.

Me and my relatives have mounted the cameras in the preferred location now, so our only task to complete is how to drill and fish the cables to the living room.

I understand that you don't like the answer but you've done the easy part........this is where I want it. Now the hard part is how to make what you want happen. I wasn't suggesting getting a contractor or anything, but many installers want extra work and will at the very least be more than happy to come to you for 40 or 50 bucks and spend an hour to help you onsite with a plan and point out what you CANNOT do. If that kind of expense is out of the question to prevent yourself from causing possibly thousands of dollars worth of damage what the heck is this camera protecting?

I understand that you don't like the answer but you've done the easy part........this is where I want it. Now the hard part is how to make what you want happen. I wasn't suggesting getting a contractor or anything, but many installers want extra work and will at the very least be more than happy to come to you for 40 or 50 bucks and spend an hour to help you onsite with a plan and point out what you CANNOT do. If that kind of expense is out of the question to prevent yourself from causing possibly thousands of dollars worth of damage what the heck is this camera protecting?

For $40 or $50 ..... you can imagine the job you would get. ...... there will be duck tape everywhere....... that’s $10 each camera if 4way and only $5 for an 8 way.

And at that price the contractor will not have insurance in place.

1000s of people install there own system with no experience and do i good job

I do comprehend your statement, but I literally do not have the money to spare at this moment to pay a worker hourly hence my reason for asking help in the forums as me and my relatives do not mind doing the task ourselves. I have yet to receive a response from my neighbor yet, so is there any individual that has read my topic can provide more helpful suggestions please?

Lavender90, As others have cautioned about drilling in the cold, you could split the siding as the drill is pushing out instead of a neat hole being drilled. Another problem with drilling from the inside is you usually cannot mount anything exactly where the wire pops out. If you push on the siding with your finger you will notice it's relatively loose. Only the outside corners are stiff.

Lavender90, As others have cautioned about drilling in the cold, you could split the siding as the drill is pushing out instead of a neat hole being drilled. Another problem with drilling from the inside is you usually cannot mount anything exactly where the wire pops out. If you push on the siding with your finger you will notice it's relatively loose. Only the outside corners are stiff.

I am aware, I am waiting for the weather to clear again since rain has occurred for two days here. Usually this region of Georgia is mostly warm, so if I learn the information I need will commence drilling during a recommended day. I thank you for the suggestion b1gbleu, I hope I receive more suggestions.

I'm sorry that you don't find my advice helpful, however I am a professional communications technician and own a communications company. I have almost 30 years in telecom/data/video systems design, installation, and service. I also try to help individuals and small business with honest advice and work so that they don't spend more than they need to send some sales rep to a 500 dollar dinner or cause major damage to their property that may not present itself for years. If you're not able to get advice from someone who understands residential construction and how to install wiring in it right now then wait, please until someone even a friend of a friend could come and look and just give you some advice based on your particular home. Short of posting pictures of every angle of your house, detail building plans, and fielding many many questions after any advice that we can give is generic and you need specific. I really would help you if I could but without all of the information one needs ( basically being there) it is not in your best intrest to try.

Here's an example, I don't believe that I saw the power meter, gas meter, or communications demarcs in those photos, without seeing the home, and knowing to look for the pathways construction typically uses I cant say hey drill through here and not be 100% sure that you aren't going to tap a 200 amp line that may burn your house down or stop your heart. I know it sounds like I'm making a big deal out of what you probably don't think is not one but again that's why we get paid to do stuff, and the state we are in generally makes sure we know what we are doing at least in basic with a license.

The few things I can tell you from what I have seen is that you can mount the cameras on the corner trim but dont try and drill through on the corner within about 5 inches, the vertical 2x4's shouldnt be compromised and you will have a steel corner bead on the interior drywall.

If you're going to penetrate the siding use an approved sealant, not caulk, something rated for roofing would be best

If your cameras are running over UTP and are outdoors the cabling must be outdoor rated, not just the outdoor part but the whole run, places are just a cause of problems, if its not in the sunlight cable would be direct burial, if it is in sunlight it must be aerial rated.

protectct your power and bnc connections, either by bringing them inside the house or an outdoor rated box, simple plastic outdoor boxes can both protect cabling and provide a mounting point for cameras that will isolate them so there can be no groundloop issue.

crawlspaces or basement suck but are easy to run cable through so you can come up from below inside the home, or push cable to the outside

attic soffets are great for cable, you can come out through them and hide cabling behind siding corners to get it down to the level you want.

a 2nd story in residential homes is going to make it all 300% harder.

If you would like specific advice, choose 1 camera, choose the way you would like the cable to run if possible and illustrate or describe it, and post pictures pictures pictures from start to finish of where you want it to where it ends. At that point if its worth it to you there could be some real advice.

I'm sorry that you don't find my advice helpful, however I am a professional communications technician and own a communications company. I have almost 30 years in telecom/data/video systems design, installation, and service. I also try to help individuals and small business with honest advice and work so that they don't spend more than they need to send some sales rep to a 500 dollar dinner or cause major damage to their property that may not present itself for years. If you're not able to get advice from someone who understands residential construction and how to install wiring in it right now then wait, please until someone even a friend of a friend could come and look and just give you some advice based on your particular home. Short of posting pictures of every angle of your house, detail building plans, and fielding many many questions after any advice that we can give is generic and you need specific. I really would help you if I could but without all of the information one needs ( basically being there) it is not in your best intrest to try.

Here's an example, I don't believe that I saw the power meter, gas meter, or communications demarcs in those photos, without seeing the home, and knowing to look for the pathways construction typically uses I cant say hey drill through here and not be 100% sure that you aren't going to tap a 200 amp line that may burn your house down or stop your heart. I know it sounds like I'm making a big deal out of what you probably don't think is not one but again that's why we get paid to do stuff, and the state we are in generally makes sure we know what we are doing at least in basic with a license.

The few things I can tell you from what I have seen is that you can mount the cameras on the corner trim but dont try and drill through on the corner within about 5 inches, the vertical 2x4's shouldnt be compromised and you will have a steel corner bead on the interior drywall.

If you're going to penetrate the siding use an approved sealant, not caulk, something rated for roofing would be best

If your cameras are running over UTP and are outdoors the cabling must be outdoor rated, not just the outdoor part but the whole run, places are just a cause of problems, if its not in the sunlight cable would be direct burial, if it is in sunlight it must be aerial rated.

protectct your power and bnc connections, either by bringing them inside the house or an outdoor rated box, simple plastic outdoor boxes can both protect cabling and provide a mounting point for cameras that will isolate them so there can be no groundloop issue.

crawlspaces or basement suck but are easy to run cable through so you can come up from below inside the home, or push cable to the outside

attic soffets are great for cable, you can come out through them and hide cabling behind siding corners to get it down to the level you want.

a 2nd story in residential homes is going to make it all 300% harder.

If you would like specific advice, choose 1 camera, choose the way you would like the cable to run if possible and illustrate or describe it, and post pictures pictures pictures from start to finish of where you want it to where it ends. At that point if its worth it to you there could be some real advice.

Wow make a simple job as hard as getting something to the moon....

It’s called doing DIY .....

its all fun and games until someone floods the interior, or damages structure, or hits a sewer line, or a gas line, or electric.......etc etc. He said he has no clue what he should do so sure listen to the internet.

yeah its opinions like that why I charge people with them more to fix their screw ups because it takes me more time to fix what I could have avoided in the first place. Ya know since I only do this for a living and charge a fair price for my experience and time. But DIY away it only costs you more to have a professional fix it.

I'm sure you think permits are the governments way to charge you more money and don't do a thing to protect the public as well.

yeah its opinions like that why I charge people with them more to fix their screw ups because it takes me more time to fix what I could have avoided in the first place. Ya know since I only do this for a living and charge a fair price for my experience and time. But DIY away it only costs you more to have a professional fix it.

I'm sure you think permits are the governments way to charge you more money and don't do a thing to protect the public as well.

So no one should install cables in there own home ??

Read you post again....... only you can run cables ...... who are you ..... superman

I see in another post you are doing the same ..... call in a pro .....

Don’t try and stop people running own cable

If your house catches fire, and the insurance company finds something not up to code, they don't have to pay up. Even if the code violation has nothing to do with the fire.

If you did not know that, you should not be giving advice.

If you did know that, you should be able to post the link to that excellent PDF that clarifies the appropriate code.

May I ask please that you refrain from this debate in my topic? I joined this site in hopes to receive some suggestions or guidance for my situation, but sadly I see this was a mistake as I am not seeing any helpful information. I prefer to please stay on topic if that is okay.

In regard to your previous post libram (I am not male also), I have asked for assistance from a neighbor as I previously stated and I am waiting for his response currently. I do not have any relatives that are willing to help me and with no response from my neighbor yet, I sought the internet for help. I agree immensely with receiving help from an individual who is more knowledgeable, but I can not afford to pay for that service at the moment.

I have yet to take pictures of the gas meter since that is on the side of the house and was not aware that information is required since I want to work first in the back yard for the three cameras that are now mounted in the preferred position. I apologise if I did not add that information, so I went to take a picture if this will be helpful:

https://imgur.com/w9Gri69

This house does not have a basement sadly and I did consider the option of using vinyl soffit of hiding the cables if the cable clips I have purchased will not work. I am not certain if soffit is frangible, but I will examine again when the temperature is warmer, I do remember reading to be careful with soffit during cold temperatures. I am hoping to learn what is the best option to bringing the cables to the DVR, which is located in the living room. Two cables are sixty feet and two are one hundred feet. If you suggest the attic, I can not enter the attic as I do not have a respirator mask yet, and I could not breathe comfortably when I looked in the space. I am planning on purchasing one and conduit if I will need.

If this can be of any aid to the reader, I took a second picture of the backyard with the cameras installed on the right side (the third camera is on the left location but not in view). May I ask any member what is the recommended solution to help the cables reach the living room and to my DVR? The neighbor who has yet to respond to my other question stated he hid his cables under the siding and drilled, but I am not certain if that is safe nor did he explain in more detail to help me. When he finally comments back, I hope he will share to me.

305047_1.jpg