Sign in to follow this  
dumbguy18

CCTV HDMI to LAN

Hello everybody, I am here looking for your help please. I am trying to get my CCTV picture to another room using a HDMI to LAN extender. Bellow is the device I'm using.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-1080p-HD-HDMI-IR-Extender-Sender-Adapter-Over-60m-LAN-RJ45-CAT5e-CAT6-7-Cable/252397634915?hash=item3ac4124563:g:Wb0AAOSw241Yb56I

The LAN cable running from the sender to the receiver around 25 meters long is a CAT5e twisted copper (the same cable I used to install my CCTV cameras). I have crimped the RJ45 connectors using the T-568B CAT6 wire diagram.

On both the sender and the receiver the l.e.d light is a steady orange after flashing a few times on power up. The steady orange light indicates the signal is being sent from sender, also the signal is being received by the receiver.

THIS IS WHERE I'M STUCK PEOPLE!

I am not getting a picture on the TV that I'm trying to view the CCTV picture. My TV says there's no HDMI signal being received.

Any advice, suggestions, tips will be most appreciated. Thank you!!!

Try with a short cable. You might need to change that Cat5e cable for something better, Cat6.

(that is actually NOT a HDMI over lan extender, it is a HDMI over UTP extender)

Thank you for your reply. I was dreading that answer of changing the cable. The CAT5e cable is already around the house and clipped onto the external wall (took me a while to do).

I will need to keep the cable length so shortening it is not an option. Is the type of cable key here on making the picture transfer?

Also you mention this device is not a HDMI to LAN converter. What is the difference between the one you mention and the other one?

Thanks so much for helping me out.

test the cable. and then look at the specks on the extender to see if it is within the lengh of the cable you installed . some extenders require two cables hopefully you did not staple the cable to support it as that is easy to mess up and damage the cable.

Thank you for your reply. This device only needs one ethernet cable running from sender to receiver. Apparently it's good enough to carry signal up to 60 meters. I only need 25 meters. I did clip the cable on the wall with cable clips and was very careful.

As mentioned above I may need a CAT6 cable. Are there other solutions? Thank you so far for all your suggestions.

Hi. For that distance you should be ok.

We’re did you get your car5 from ? And spec

Make yourself a 10m length of cat5 and test it going from recorder to a tv with hdmi

I would also try T568a at both ends and if still not working I would try straight through

Thank you for your reply. This device only needs one ethernet cable running from sender to receiver. Apparently it's good enough to carry signal up to 60 meters. I only need 25 meters. I did clip the cable on the wall with cable clips and was very careful.

As mentioned above I may need a CAT6 cable. Are there other solutions? Thank you so far for all your suggestions.

As you said, it can carry the signal "up to 60m"... with a good cable, which you did not use.

So try it using a short cable, even if it is a 2m patch cable. I think you will find out it will work with a good cable, and you will ned to replace that 25m cable you have already installed. And this second time you will probably test the cable to make sure the quality is ok before installing it

Just found the spec for that eBay link

Cat5 10m

Cat6 shielded 20m

If you already have cat 5 installed ..... You have to workout the cost of replacing that cable to cat 6 but you are still under your distance needed

Or buy a good HDMI extender with audio and remote option with 60m over cat5 .........about £100

Thanks all for giving up your time to help me out. The advice and suggestions were absolutely fantastic and I now have clarity on what I need to do.

First I will try changing the RJ45 to T-568A as suggested. If that doesn't work then...

I have decided to go for the cheaper option of replacing the cable instead of replacing the HDMI extender.

Will go for a CAT6 oxygen-free copper cable 25 meters long. Will update you all on how I get on. Don't expect to hear in a couple of days since I will be ordering the cable from China, I have no idea on how long the delivery will take.

Thanks all very grateful for your help.

T568A to T568A is still straight through as is T568b to T568b

did you wire map the cable in other words did you use a tester that shows all eight wires connected

wire one to wire one

wire 2 to 2

etc

all eight should be connected in this manner.

Hi. Don’t order your cable from China ...... if your in the uk you might not get it as there is now a regulation in place on data cable.

You are still under your requirements for distance by 5 meters going cat6 shielded

Toolstation does a hdmi sender for £20 but you will need to run 2 cat5

T568A to T568A is still straight through as is T568b to T568b

did you wire map the cable in other words did you use a tester that shows all eight wires connected.

I have a tester but I haven't tested yet.

Hi. Don’t order your cable from China ...... if your in the uk you might not get it as there is now a regulation in place on data cable.

Thank you for notifying about the regulations, saved me time and money.

I am confused regarding what I actually bought now. Is it definitely not a HDMI to LAN device? The purpose of it is to convert the HDMI signal down the LAN cable then convert it back to HDMI.

Would a CAT6a cable work or even a CAT7?

What I'll do to eliminate any issues before purchasing CAT 6 cable by your combined suggestions is:

Try T-568A wiring

Test cable with tester

Buy a CAT6 shielded cable pure copper possibly foiled

Hi. The problem is how the seller sells on eBay ...... the word LAN should not of been used LAN = local area network...... something that attaches to your home router or switch

What you have is hdmi to cat cable to hdmi utp

The spec of your eBay hdmi is 10m cat5 20m cat 6

But nothing to do with cable type it’s how good the hdmi sender is and that price is cheap

It might work with cat7 but that’s your risk .... I have always used cat5e and not had any problems

Gentlemen I have some progress. I used the T-568a wiring as suggested in this thread and now I have a picture using the CAT5e cable that's 25m long.

BAD NEWS:

The picture has green grains in certain places possibly the dark areas since its night now.

How can I remove this and clear the picture up?

Thank you chaps we're nearly there.

Hi all. Just to update you guys who helped me out with my problem.

I bought a CAT6 shielded foiled cable 30m long, I installed it around the wall then I waited for the idc modules to come that weekend. Needed the idc modules since the copper wires wouldn't fit any CAT6 connectors, I even bought the CAT6 connectors for shielded cables but it didn't fit.

That weekend I installed the CAT6 cable to the idc modules then I connected ready made CAT6 foiled, shielded cables which is each 1m long going from the idc module to the HDMI extender.

The cable didn't work, couldn't get a picture. So I just took the CAT6 cable off and put the CAT5e cable back in which I installed earlier on. At first it was very pixelated with green dots on large areas so I reset the HDMI extender on both ends and guess what? The noise in the cable reduced significantly, there is still green pixels like old analogue TV but it's ok for viewing.

I hope this thread helps someone save some money and time. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

let me help dispel something here, cat 5e, solid, 24 gauge cable installed without knicking the jackets of the conductors themselves is sufficient to operate ANYTHING currently made. Category 6 cable's improvements over 5e are strictly related to near end and far end crosstalk for Ethernet transmissions at over 350 mhz. Your cat 5e cable is completely capable of running gb Ethernet at distance as well as hdmi over UTP to standard distances of decent equipment of 100 ish meters and any camera IP/or analog with baluns to the max distance of 100m for IP and whatever the balun is rated. Changing from 5e to 6 for anything other than the most advanced Ethernet networks with the most advanced Ethernet devices will gain you a net of NOTHING! And no your brand new computer does not count as an advanced ethernet device. For 99% of these types of issues look to a few very simple things, primarily bad techniques of installation, crimped, cut, knicked wires, end connectors installed where the wire twist isn't maintained , ie 6 inches of conductors not inside the jacket and the end crimped on, solid copper crimp ends used on stranded wire, or the opposite, miswired ends, or if terminating on jacks, miswired jacks and or bad patch cords. I've also become recently aware that hdmi over UTP manufacturers apparently aren't that familiar with standard installation procedures and their products do not play well when they are connected via any method other than a straight through cable with rj 45's on each end, no jacks, patch cords, anything, just a cable sticking out of the wall with an end on it. Looks terrible and that's why we don't do that but hey what do we know. Its become trendy to say I want cat6 or to give cat6 requirements for a device but the truth is the equipment that will actually utilize the advantages of cat6 vs 5e isn't even on the market yet. If you don't believe all of the above, category 7 standards have been adopted, try and find it or even better get a quote to install it.