Sign in to follow this  
malmit

Easy? Newbie Security Camera Cable Running Question

I just closed on a brand new house and the basement is unfinished. It is a 2 story house with unfinished basement. I want to have a wired security camera at the front door, at the side door, at the garage, at the kitchen patio door, and at the basement door. This is probably an easy question but should I just drill the holes from the outside in and then drop the cat5e cable to the basement at each location and then set up my security camera system that way?

that's a good idea and it might work for stuff on the first story but there might be hell to pay trying to wire down from the 2nd, that is unless you run the wiring down to the ground level from the outside. An unfished basement gives you access to a lot of useful areas but you've gotta find the individual path for each wire yourself however you can.

avoid running wire outside if you can find any other way it just looks crappy and the wire is exposed to the weather and anyone who wants to cut it. Don't get hung up looking for the shortest path the best path may be much longer.

was kinda thinking he could run down the corner bead of vinyl siding. Leave exposed cable on the outside of a house, that's a no no, only the cable company and direct tv can get away with that kinda crappy work.