twvette

Better to install under eve or to fascia?

Newbie here and did some searching but did'nt really find anything.

I am about to install 9 outdoor POE bullet cameras and am in Phoenix, AZ. Here is a picture to the general type of roof eve I have:

305020_1.jpg

I am thinking I want the cameras under the eve to better protect from the brutal sun here and I should be able to get the angles I need by mounting them to the perpendicular 2x4's and angling them out as required. If I do it this was I assume I want to get the lens to the edge of the eve so at night I wont get IR reflecting off the eve, correct?

However, I am a little concerned of birds nesting on them if under the protected eve vs. just mounting them on the fascia. The fascia would be a little easier in general but then the camera is fully exposed to the elements and not really sure if birds would still want to nest on them.

Any input or related input appreciated before I start making holes LOL ... thanks in advance!

a good PoE camera should weather being exposes, look at its IP rating for outdoor use. It might fade in the sun on the metallic parts but if its sealed it should be fine. Your biggest concern would be protecting the actual jack and patch cord from the elements as these will NOT withstand outdoor exposure.

Thanks. They are IP66 rated and good cameras in general. Plus got white which should help a little.

Did a bit more testing and not really able to get the vertical angles I want when underneath as have to point them down a good amount unless I add some blocks or similar to attach them to give me more angle options. So, looks like I will be going with them out on the fascia. I am going to mount them at fairly good angle so they really wont stick out too much. Each will also only receive a few hours direct sun as the eve still shades most of them a good amount of the day. Birds might still nest but think it will be difficult so will see.

I will run the wire on the perpendicular 2x4(?) under the eve so it wont receive an UV really or water (like we get much of that in Phoenix anyways LOL). I will still probably wrap it in electrical tape or maybe shrink wrap or similar.

Hopefully getting the wires to the attic will be fairly easy and this all works out as planned and lasts

its worth it for a couple dollars to get an outdoor rated electrical box and put your jack and patch cord end in it, even humidity will eventually erode power on 24-26 awg copper. Doesn't need to be metal or anything just sealed, so if you drill a hole in it caulk it up.

Probably too late for you now but I never use bullets for outside because A) they look terrible & B) they have a really crappy mounting bracket that wont withstand objects being thrown . I always use domes.

You are right about the reflected IR. It is a common mistake of novices to mount cameras as far under the eves as possible with the intention of keeping them out of the elements, but as you correctly summise , IR reflection is a real possibility. Why dont you mount them on the vertical surface of the 4x2 (left or right side depending where they are looking)

Get a hole saw or a wing bit a 1/4" larger than the camera and drill into the face of the 2x6 at a slight upward angle then insert the camera through the rear and secure it.

Probably too late for you now but I never use bullets for outside because A) they look terrible & B) they have a really crappy mounting bracket that wont withstand objects being thrown . I always use domes.

You are right about the reflected IR. It is a common mistake of novices to mount cameras as far under the eves as possible with the intention of keeping them out of the elements, but as you correctly summise , IR reflection is a real possibility. Why dont you mount them on the vertical surface of the 4x2 (left or right side depending where they are looking)

Thanks! I do wish I would have looked into domes more. Still not sure I could have got square viewing angles as everything on my eves are at some angle but maybe I am over thinking this and/or not that big of a deal to have some rotation angle. Even if true, am sure a little more patience and with some skill could have fabricated something to find a perfect mounting location.

The couple domes I did purchase for inside were really big, they would not have fit on the fascia also and would not be vertical as some angle there too. Its more like 4in of wood rather than 6.

I will say I kinda like the bullets "sticking out". Mine are big camera's yet still there is a lot going on when looking at a house from any distance so I think most people passing by wont really even "see" them, yet obvious enough that thieves will. One of my bullet cameras is much smaller than the others so some might be more ok with the smaller ones and something to consider that I had kind of overlooked.

Get a hole saw or a wing bit a 1/4" larger than the camera and drill into the face of the 2x6 at a slight upward angle then insert the camera through the rear and secure it.

I like this idea and started thinking about doing it but in the end almost all of mine ended up being at a good angle from the fascia based on the view I was trying to get.