Sign in to follow this  
Felix1275

WBOX NVR help

Hi all

I'm brand new to video surveillance but I'm reasonably technical. My current job is installing/servicing telephone, ADSL and IPTV so while I'm quite capable of connecting things intelligently, I wouldn't know a subnet mask if it fell on me!

Due to some needs at home, I have just purchased from ADI a WBOX NVR 0E-41TP1UN and a single 0E-21D28WDR POE camera. I cannot for the life of me make this thing work. I have it set up on my bench with a monitor, mouse and the camera on a 6' ethernet cable. After power up I go through the set password, time, date, etc. When I plug in the camera and look a the camera list, all I get is "detecting" on the port I'm plugged into. I never see a picture and I cannot get past this point. I have tried other ports and other ethernet cables with the same result. Troubleshooting is difficult as I have no idea what "should" happen and I have no spares to swap with. I did return to ADI and swapped the camera but I'm getting the same result. Do I have a bad NVR or am I missing some really obvious step?

The instructions are pretty poor with no less than 10 pages on setting passwords but next to nothing on getting started.

Wow. clearly a popular product. Guess I gotta answer my own question.

So I finally phoned WBox tech support - which isn't easy 'cuz they're only open 9am-6pm Eastern time and I'm in Pacific time. In his very broken English he was able to convey to me that these two particular WBox products are NOT plug and play compatible with each other. Gee thanks.

Back to ADI who were stunned to hear this. They had to try it for themselves and sure enough, it didn't work. So we tried the newest WBOX NVR which did work (for another $40, of course).

Got it home, plugged in and all is working. Nothing but a quick start manual so I'm fumbling through figuring things out. All is going reasonably well until I clicked the wrong thing and messed something up. I tried to put the settings back but couldn't figure out what I had done. Resigned, I did a factory reset - which reset the password but none of the (now wrong) settings! I emailed WBox directly who tell me they don't have a detailed manual, only a quick start manual.

I'm pretty good at figuring things out with a manual but this is silly. I'm packing all this stuff up and it's going back.