Sign in to follow this  
schrepfer

How should I terminate the drops for pre-wire of IP Cameras?

I looked around the web for answers, but I never found a clear answer...

I am in the process of building a new house and am planning on running Cat6 to key locations where I'd like to have an IP Cameras. What I am not quite sure about is how I should terminate the ends of the Cat6 cable.

Should I simply stick a couple of extra ft. of cable coming out of my soffit/siding and stick an RJ-45 on the end?

What do you do with all of the extra cable once it's attached to the cameras when doing this? (see pic)

Should I install a box of some sort that would have a female end? And then use a small jumper from the box to the Camera?

Same issue as above, where there's a bunch of extra cable. What do you do with the extra cabling? How do you hide it?

I've never seen this done, and I actually don't think I've ever seen water-proof keystone boxes.

Should I leave a large hole in the soffit (or siding) to stick the bundle of extra cable from the camera though?

I noticed a rather large bundle of cable coming off cameras such as the Hikvision cameras.

Lots of installation videos I found on YouTube do this, but they are also installing the cameras indoors and pushing the extra cables in their attic.

The nice thing about this idea is that you can safely tuck away all of the extra cable...

...but then you also have your RJ-45 hidden within the house where it can potentially get lost.

Should I install some other type of box/mount that would securely hide the cabling?

I should note that I haven't purchased any cameras yet, and I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy one so that i have something to play with.

Right now I'm thinking that I'll likely just drill a 1/4 hole for the Cat6 cable and leave it hanging out under the eaves and figure out what to do when the time comes. The main thing with all this, that I wanted to avoid, is just having an unsightly set up where the camera has a large bundle of wire coiled up next to it. If I can find a solution that gives me flexibility that sounds like a win.

dsc01256_2.thumb.jpg.994a81b20810d0d03f7ac36a82ae5183.jpg

as i have done about 20 installs for poe cctv and a ex cable tv and sat installer, i would do the following IMHO

put the end on first and test with a lease 30cms of slack.

Make sure the cable works, as i have done cameras and phone lines before and cut to my needs to only find out the cable dead/damage

Some cat6e on eBay i used last year used rubbish copper and in the end had to bin it as was not getting good signal.

If you want to make neat, u can add a small square or round junction box to have the wire inside.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hikvision-DS-1280ZJ-DM21-Junction-Box-Wall-Mount-Bracket-for-Dome-Cameras/252775167722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Ah yes. The junction box is a good idea as it looks like I should be able to wind up a good amount of the extra cabling in there. It also gets me away from the fear of losing my Cat6 in the walls, as that would be my option, leaving a larger hole that I could push the bundle of wire back through.... finally caulking around the larger hole.

Hi. Pick your camera first .... then pick the cable management box that goes with that camera.

I would use turret cameras rarther than dome

good quality solid copper cable cat5E or 6. cable tester to make sure your wire map is correct. Usually B in my part of the world. Good quality termination tool if using plugs. We usually do data jacks with a box along with a patch cord. the nice thing about this system is that if you have to move a camera you can often get by with just changing out the patch cord if you stay within the 100 meter limit.