Sign in to follow this  
ShaneR

Old Pelco DD08e211 questions.

So I found this old PTZ in my garage and decided I wanted to try to get it to work. After a bunch of research and individually tracing wires I got it powered on and showing video. Have not been able to control it yet due to issues with a geovision net I/O card that I'm having, but on top of the TX +/- and Rx +/- cables coming out of it there are also single wires that trace back to Iris and Focus. In order to control these do I need to to hook them up to the control card somewhere? Or what do I not have to worry about them. On a side note does anyone know if you need a geovision capture card in order to use a geovision net I/O. I have tried many different operating systems and I can't get the drivers for USB to load.

0323181728a-1-1-1.thumb.jpg.3fb12a0ed0d947332bc1b794ce79f43b.jpg

I have used the geo box with the geo system and it works fine. I am not sure how it would work stand alone. when you are setting up this camera you will need to know the address usually set via dip switches and what protocol it is set up for pelco P or D. I believe the serial protocol is RS-485.

So thru painstaking process I traced every wire and found out a few things.

I have a "Common" wire (I assume ground?) that I am not sure where it connects to unless it's to ground on the controller.

Left on the dome assembly correlates to RXD+

Left=RXD+

Right=TXD-

Up=RXD-

Down=TXD-

Is this how it's supposed to be? I always thought rx and tx were receive and transmit.

There are also wires for iris, focus, and zoom with a single wire for lens ground.

So if I want to adjust these values would I have to split the lens ground or can I just attach it to regular ground?

A little cheat someone showed me to see if the zoom and focus work is to hook the + and - to a 9v battery, works like a charm. I am not seeing any changes when I try Iris, the screen just goes black for a few seconds.

I do not know on this particluar camera but it seems their should be a way to set the camera's address other wise you could only control one camera per controller. usually the setting is protocol pelco p or d and address starting at 000- 200 or so. that way one controller can call up any of several cameras. Does this have an OSD or a manual?

That camera is not that old we replaced a lot of cameras in that time period and al lot of them had multi camera setups. THere must be another manual as this twelve page only address the physical mounting of the unit. THere must be a manual that shows how the controller is hooked up. I would look for a keyboard controller manual from that time period and it may show you how to hook up the RS-485 and set the protocols

It is possible that the the keyboard controller sets all the parameters. I will look online and see if I can find anything

here is a link that goes to a whole bunch of pages explaining how to hook up a controller or DVR

https://www.google.com/search?q=ptz+camera+connection+rs485&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjd-7jGzozaAhVIXq0KHVo7BtAQ1QII4AIoBQ&biw=1366&bih=637

If my googling has lead me down the right path, they are addressed and controlled conventionally by a video matrix switching control system that uses CM9700-SER-32's which have to have addresses assigned to them, which I assume are assigned a range of addresses counting up based on their number of ports. At least that's how I interpret it. It's not all to big an issue for me as it will only be this one camera on the system

Upon further investigation I also see it can be controlled via "coaxitron" connection which is described as "By utilizing vertical blanking intervals, pulses are superimposed over the normal video signal, enabling video and control signals transmissions over the same cable." it looks like the Pelco coaxitron system 2000 is the perfect match for the camera with separate toggles for zoom, focus, and iris.

s-l400.jpg.8e205ce0ec70fa28e22122eb79525d48.jpg

Not sure exactly. Only thing I have to go off of is current used prices. Only other camera of the same design is going for ~$800. The controller looks to be around $150 and the receiver is looking like $400. That's gonna be way too much to try to get this camera working the "correct" way. Worse comes to worse I'll just build an adifruit dongle that outputs volts to each of the wires separately.

Edited by Guest

well sounds li9ke you have a handle on it. Myself not being that techy I would try to avoid all the extra "stuff and just get a camera that can be controlled via the DVR.