Sign in to follow this  
ShaneR

Coax cable coop

I have a coax cable that runs from my garage (where I am looking to put my analog camera) into my house (connecting to the modem) it "T's" off in the middle to go to the telephone pole to the cable provider, and I was wondering if it would be possible to attach a splitter at the house side to connect to a dvr. Would this be possible? Would two signals on the same wire garble them both? Would it slow down the internet speeds or cause dropped packets? Could the video signal go back to the cable company? The garage and house are around 150 feet apart so running a cable can be done but would require more effort.

Hi. No it can't be done.

You could replace the t junction with a straight threw so you would have coax from house to garage

Then run a new coax to the pole from the house.

Curses, well thanks for the Info, ill probably just run a new line along the same coax line. As for cable, all I get when I search is cheap bnc siamese Power cables, I don't need the power aspect as the camera is powered locally and I will need to run a separate 10 wire cable for the ptz control. Is there any place where I can get a reasonably priced bnc cable? All the solo-bnc cables I've found were easily $60 more than the siamese versions. I understand that quality is important, but it's only 1 camera at 480p.

From what I can tell about the ptz it uses proprietary "coaxitron" system which Transmits controls and video via 1 bnc cable. Only issue is I don't have or wish to purchase the ~$400 receiver that decodes the signal and sends it to the camera. The camera has wires coming off of it that link to left, right, up, down, ground (24vac) on the ptz motors and zoom, focus, iris, ground (12vdc) on the camera. The "coaxitron system 2000" has a basic 8 way joystick as well as 3 toggles for the other features. So the idea would be to essentially direct wire all functions manually. It looks like it is set up for rs422 controls but also has manual zoom iris and focus which makes a standard rs422 connection impossible. So I would either be forced to buy a receiver that sends all the data thru one Cable or buy a 10 conductor wire and send it all on its own wire. As this is an older camera the ptz functions will not be used all too much as attempting to interface them with a smart program or a wireless control device will be very difficult even with the proper coaxitron system. So it will act as a non-ptz camera until I get bored and want to manually control it if I was actually concerned about any type of break-in or the such I would invest in a simple home security system, but this is more to have a project to mess around with as the camera was completely free, along with a separate newer ptz camera that came with a receiver box that will have a much more usable purpose.