Sign in to follow this  
Retr0

Is my installation idea OK?

Hi guys,

Apologies for the dummy question.. Simply googled CCTV and this forum came up.. Anyway, we are currently have issues with the neighbours and decided to get CCTV. Bought a £200 4 channel setup from B&Q with 2 cameras (Yale something..?). I'm wanting to leave the DVR box on a shelf in my kitchen and drill through the wall (cameras literally on the other side of the wall).

I've attached photos of my idea. I'm using some of them plastic adaptable boxes on either side of the hole and then running the wire from the box to each corner.

The big ends on the RF cables mean I need to drill a much bigger hole to get them through so that's why I want to use the boxes.

I've attached 2 photos (very roughly draw up on paint. Apologies for the mess). I'm worried about drilling a big 20mm hole in that location. Would it be easier to bring the cable in elsewhere?

http://cubeupload.com/im/laBOsV.jpg

http://cubeupload.com/im/yx7fUt.jpg

I plan on using a box either side of the hole with the back drilled out. The hole and cameras will be about 8ft high. Don't want to drill through one of them big corner stones.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi. A much simpler way is to use 1 cat5 cable ....that means only a 5mm hole to run two cameras and power.

The cables that come with the B&Q systems are bad quality

Cat5 and baluns is all you need

Hi Tom,

How would I get the power to the cameras? It's on a mains DC plug.. Do I just twist the the pairs together?

I'm struggling to understand how it'd power and have video for 2 cameras. Wouldn't I need 2 cables?

I'm worried about where to drill the bloody hole lol. Maybe it's best to go through below the skirting board upstairs and just mount the cameras higher.

Thanks