Sign in to follow this  
pastre

Surveillance system using ip cameras

Hello Everyone

I have a poultry farm and is very important to watch the flock when I'm away. I have already old hikvision cameras but I want to upgrade or change the system to better quality. As I said before it's very important to watch the flock and I need to check every detail not just poor quality cameras for security purposes.

I want to use ip cameras and ip dvr but I don't know how to set it up . The distance between the cameras and the dvr will be about 110 meters/360 feet with some obstacles between.

Do I have to use wifi extenders?

What cameras and Dvr do you suggest?

Is it difficult to set up a system with ip cameras?

Will I have access remotely using my smartphone/tablet/laptop or PC? My old dvr is accessed using internet explorer activating activex options.

My main concern for this system is how to connect the cameras and the dvr using wifi extenders.

I have to say sorry for my poor english because it's not my native language.

Thank you in advance

See this thread for starters: Wireless CCTV with Built-in Repeaters?

Similar situation and requirements.

You don't want wireless repeaters--ever. Wireless repeaters halve your bandwidth. If you do end up having to use wireless, ±100m is easily doable in one go if there are no obstacles.

When you say "some obstacles between," just what do you mean? If you mean structures other than wood, wireless may be out unless you can go over or around them.

Other than the networking question, I can't really help you, as I'm not a video surveillance system expert.

There obstacles like doors made of metal, a wall,large fans. Is it better to look for poc cameras? My problem with the cable is the connection with the bnc. I'm not good at it, I failed many times with the bnc.

There obstacles like doors made of metal, a wall,large fans.

If they're not solid, uninterrupted interference, like a whole wall of fans or cinderblock walls, WiFi might be fine.

That's the problem with WiFi: Sometimes you never know until you try.

Is it better to look for poc cameras?

I couldn't say. I know little about even IP cameras, much less analogue.

If you can run coax, can you not run Cat6 cable?

My problem with the cable is the connection with the bnc. I'm not good at it, I failed many times with the bnc.

Would it be possible to use BNC compression fittings, instead? Something like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/bnc-compression-tool-kit/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abnc%20compression%20tool%20kit

Note: I've never tried one of those on BNC connectors.

Being a networking and radio guy I've got two different coax connector crimp tools, at least two die sets for one of those two, two different coax strippers, plus an F-connector compression tool kit. Even with all the proper tools I agree: Traditional BNC connectors are a PITA. Doing F-connectors with my DataShark compression kit is so easy I look forward to doing them

If you go to IP you can run POE and probably get withing the 100 meter limit fro what you have expalained. Termination of cat5/6 is not hard and you can buy preterminated patchcords in lengths of at least 100 ft

If you go to IP you can run POE and probably get withing the 100 meter limit fro what you have expalained. Termination of cat5/6 is not hard and you can buy preterminated patchcords in lengths of at least 100 ft

+1

Keep it simple and cost effective.

Your in range for cat5 cable and IP cameras with NVR

No need for extra expense of repeaters or wifi.

Thank you for your precious help. I din't know about cat cables and cctv. I will check for the prices and order the cables, cameras and nvr. Thank you again.

If you go with IP PoE, and you're going to bury the cable, make sure you buy cable rated for burial and make sure you remember where it is so you don't later accidentally go cutting through it. Technically speaking: You cannot splice UTP cable.

Cat5e cable will suffice, but the cost difference for Cat6 is so little, these days, that I'd go with that if you can.

If you go with IP PoE, and you're going to bury the cable, make sure you buy cable rated for burial and make sure you remember where it is so you don't later accidentally go cutting through it. Technically speaking: You cannot splice UTP cable.

Cat5e cable will suffice, but the cost difference for Cat6 is so little, these days, that I'd go with that if you can.

Why would u suggest Cat6 for cameras runs?

Why do u suggest Cat6 for cameras runs?

Hello Everyone

I have a poultry farm and is very important to watch the flock when I'm away. I have already old hikvision cameras but I want to upgrade or change the system to better quality. As I said before it's very important to watch the flock and I need to check every detail not just poor quality cameras for security purposes.

I want to use ip cameras and ip dvr but I don't know how to set it up . The distance between the cameras and the dvr will be about 110 meters/360 feet with some obstacles between.

Will I have access remotely using my smartphone/tablet/laptop or PC? My old dvr is accessed using internet explorer activating activex options.

My main concern for this system is how to connect the cameras and the dvr using wifi extenders.

Thank you in advance

Distance of less than 200 meters and Not much knowledge about CCTV sytem, then simply go for Analog HD cameras (HD-TVI, AHD, or HD-CVI) and a DVR with a qualified cabling.

Hello Everyone

Thank you in advance

Distance of less than 200 meters and Not much knowledge about CCTV sytem, then simply go for Analog HD cameras (HD-TVI, AHD, or HD-CVI) and a DVR with a qualified cabling.

Sunnykim ...... very wrong info again from you ..... you have been posting for years .... but you still don’t get it.

Why 200m

Why not much knowledge ???

Is it to possible to use one cat6 cable and have branches for the other cables?

Please forgive me for the stupid question

Why would u suggest Cat6 for cameras runs?

As I wrote:

It's not a stupid question and the answer is "kind of."

You cannot do it passively. I.e.: Simply split the copper N ways. But you can run a single "backbone" connection to a remote Ethernet switch, and branch out from there.

So, for example: I have my alarm system, an over-the-air TV network tuner and networked DVR all in the same spot in the corner of the basement. It's at the opposite corner as the computer room. I ran a single cable from our computer room to that location, put a 5-port switch there, and plugged them all in.

It's configuration-less, unless you buy a managed switch, then it's optionally configurable so you can examine the status of the switch's ports, etc.. (I like managed switches as they can aid network debugging--and security, if you know what you're about and want to go to the trouble.)

Obviously the placement of that remote network switch will have to be environmentally acceptable for its electronics and you might want to consider a small UPS.

You can also do the backhauling with WiFi. Say a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5's. One's connected to your network, the other to the remote Ethernet switch. But that starts to get iffy if you have a lot of cameras, you're using several 8MP cameras, or the WiFi connection isn't that great, as your bandwidth will be greatly limited over that 5GHz wireless backhaul.

I'm actually eventually going to do that 5GHz backhaul thing with our µBarn, about 100' from the back of the house. Then I'll put a WiFi AP up in the peak on the inside and an IP camera looking out at the yard. Maybe another pointing back at the house. None of this because I need to, but more for the giggles

It's not a stupid question and the answer is "kind of."

You cannot do it passively. I.e.: Simply split the copper N ways. But you can run a single "backbone" connection to a remote Ethernet switch, and branch out from there.

So, for example: I have my alarm system, an over-the-air TV network tuner and networked DVR all in the same spot in the corner of the basement. It's at the opposite corner as the computer room. I ran a single cable from our computer room to that location, put a 5-port switch there, and plugged them all in.

It's configuration-less, unless you buy a managed switch, then it's optionally configurable so you can examine the status of the switch's ports, etc.. (I like managed switches as they can aid network debugging--and security, if you know what you're about and want to go to the trouble.)

Obviously the placement of that remote network switch will have to be environmentally acceptable for its electronics and you might want to consider a small UPS.

You can also do the backhauling with WiFi. Say a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5's. One's connected to your network, the other to the remote Ethernet switch. But that starts to get iffy if you have a lot of cameras, you're using several 8MP cameras, or the WiFi connection isn't that great, as your bandwidth will be greatly limited over that 5GHz wireless backhaul.

I'm actually eventually going to do that 5GHz backhaul thing with our µBarn, about 100' from the back of the house. Then I'll put a WiFi AP up in the peak on the inside and an IP camera looking out at the yard. Maybe another pointing back at the house. None of this because I need to, but more for the giggles

Thanks for the solution. Normally I wound hire someone to do the job instead of me. But you can't find a lot of technicians around here. Also the 3-4 technicians you can find are very expensive and not well educated.

Thanks for the solution. Normally I wound hire someone to do the job instead of me. But you can't find a lot of technicians around here. Also the 3-4 technicians you can find are very expensive and not well educated.

You're welcome. Only fly in the ointment I see is you wrote:

The distance between the cameras and the dvr will be about 110 meters/360 feet...

Technically speaking: The maximum distance between any two active devices for twisted-pair Ethernet is 100 meters (328 feet). Going ten meters (33 ft.) over is pushing your luck. I have gone over a little and gotten no more than length warnings from cable testers, but other times I've not been so lucky.

I don't think I've ever tried to go that far over, though.

There are products called PoE Ethernet Extenders to solve this problem. Or, if you have a structure with power between Point A and Point B you can just put a small Ethernet switch in there to act as a "repeater." Even if you have to take a slight detour to do it.

Hi. You might be going down the wrong path.

If you have coax already run. Why don't you look at 5mp tvi or cvi cameras and recorder.

You can use your existing cables and add. Also you can have more than 1 camera on coax