Aslan

CCTV quality setup and testing

Does anyone know what the function of setting up and testing cameras and monitors is called, where by a target figure is set up at specific distance and the system calibarated to fine tune the results. Have you been involved in such set up's?

There is a standard called rotakin ( I think its called) where silly cutouts of people are used to see what the camera can see, although it doesnt look very scientific to me...

10 out of 10 for the engineer who remembered Rotakin testing.

I just couldn't remember I'd had alsorts of phrases running through my mind and the nearest I got was Retsoscan which is realy nothing like.

Thanks for your answer. Now I can start tyo sllep at night. LOL

53851_1.jpg

Rotakin is a cardboard cutout test target which was designed to allow the means of establishing a specific criteria for measuring the performance of CCTV cameras. By specifying required screen height and resolution (indicated by the markings on the target), the camera/lens performance can be checked to confirm compliance with the system specification.

It was designed by the UK Home Office Police Scientific Development Branch (PSDB) and is being used to assess the effectiveness of CCTV systems in the UK and Europe.

All too often there are poorly installed/maintained CCTV systems unable to produce the necessary image quality to identify individuals/vehicles where an intrusion or other criminal activity has taken place, and as such they are of no benefit to police or other CCTV users.

I had the opportunity to use the Rotakin and evaluate a CCTV system and found it to be quite useful. Although not a standard in Canada, it was a very useful tool.

Thank you sincerly for your comprehensive explanation.

I understood what the test was for but the origins of it's use and development are very interesting.

Obviously there are some cctv proffesionals out there like myself who will have learnt a little more than they thought they already knew.