Megapixelman

HD-SDI over RG59 Coax and Baluns

...maintaining 1080p at full 30fps, which IP systems can't handle
Who says? A number of IP cameras can do even multiple 1080p streams at 30fps. Some can even stream 1080p at 60fps.

By using the HD-SDI repeater, you can repeat up to 1KM
The largest shortcoming for using HD-SDI repeaters is the need to place them mid-span. For longer runs, it gets even worse. First, your DVR must be capable of sending power down the coax, and that can limit the number of repeaters you can use. Second, you would have to find point(s) along the cable to cut it and insert repeaters every 80m or less (EqcoLogic specs out 83m max distance at 3.0Gbps = 1080p on RG59 (Model SL-EQCO-3G)).

Ethernet-over-Coax (EoC) products can be placed at the ends of a cable and can send IP signals up to a mile. For instance, the Vigitron Vi2401 specs out at 1,800 feet at 100Mbps and up to 5,000 feet at 10Mbps. There are also extenders for UTP, something HD-SDI cannot do. The Vigitron Vi2301 can send 100Mbps data and power 2,100 feet over a single 4-pair CATx cable.

Cutting cable and inserting devices along it is never a good thing. Each added device creates three additional "single points of failure" (two connectors plus the device itself). While both HD-SDI Repeaters and EoC devices add multiple failure points, at least EoC's points are located at the accessible ends of cable runs, not somewhere in the middle and likely hidden.

Add the difficulty finding the 80m point of a single cable possibly buried among many and you have an instant recipe for frustration.

By using the HD-SDI repeater, you can repeat up to 1KM
The largest shortcoming for using HD-SDI repeaters is the need to place them mid-span. For longer runs, it gets even worse. First, your DVR must be capable of sending power down the coax, and that can limit the number of repeaters you can use. Second, you would have to find point(s) along the cable to cut it and insert repeaters every 80m or less (EqcoLogic specs out 83m max distance at 3.0Gbps = 1080p on RG59 (Model SL-EQCO-3G)).

Ethernet-over-Coax (EoC) products can be placed at the ends of a cable and can send IP signals up to a mile. For instance, the Vigitron Vi2401 specs out at 1,800 feet at 100Mbps and up to 5,000 feet at 10Mbps. There are also extenders for UTP, something HD-SDI cannot do. The Vigitron Vi2301 can send 100Mbps data and power 2,100 feet over a single 4-pair CATx cable.

Cutting cable and inserting devices along it is never a good thing. Each added device creates three additional "single points of failure" (two connectors plus the device itself). While both HD-SDI Repeaters and EoC devices add multiple failure points, at least EoC's points are located at the accessible ends of cable runs, not somewhere in the middle and likely hidden.

Add the difficulty finding the 80m point of a single cable possibly buried among many and you have an instant recipe for frustration.

Well, now they have HDCVI that seems to solve the cable length limitations. Wonder if it will it kill off SDI before it get really popular.

......... for large scale jobs I have to admit IP is KING...

MM

Why do you say that? A 100 camera HD-SDI installation is still less than a "Properly installed" IP system and playback can be in real-time compared to reduced frame-rate IP.

I would like if someone would post the purchase order for a large IP system, redacted of course, to compare what an HD-SDI system comparable would cost. A side-by-side comparison.

1. .......... There are also extenders for UTP, something HD-SDI cannot do. FALSE!

2. "The largest shortcoming for using HD-SDI repeaters is the need to place them mid-span."

MM

Both statements are false. From following this post, I see many people are misinformed.

1. We have HD-SDI installation that have distances over several miles over fiber

2. It has RS485 for PTZ control

3. Capability for relays

4. Can also include ethernet and PSTN options

In regards to mid-span what is difference in UTP at 328ft requiring a mid-span, switch etc???

How many companies want video traffic on their network?

HD-SDI is point-point and if one goes down, ONLY 1 goes down. IP mid-span or switch goes down you typically lose a lot more cameras.

Also RG59 will have reduced distance. RG6 is recommended. For professional installations using Belden 1694A which is rated to 4.5 Ghz can get you signal around 600ft. Costly but other ones are rated the same at about 35-45% less cost.

Each job is different

Therefore you have to design 2 estimates with a side-by-side pros and cons. Full 30fps or at least 24fps on large installations is compelling for 2.2MP. IP at the same rate depends on the number of cameras on one segment. I am not anti-IP but both have pros and cons. I just hate to see HD-SDI get a black mark because people are no properly informed.

Each job is different

Therefore you have to design 2 estimates with a side-by-side pros and cons. Full 30fps or at least 24fps on large installations is compelling for 2.2MP. IP at the same rate depends on the number of cameras on one segment. I am not anti-IP but both have pros and cons. I just hate to see HD-SDI get a black mark because people are no properly informed.

For Enterprises level system do you use Stand Alone or capture cards

I am asking about HD-SDI ?