Baje

HD-SDI Over IP

Hello,

I have a client that currently has all of their SD bnc cameras running on video servers and encoders to make them IP. My question is if there are HD servers/encoders available so that i can make the SD cameras now HD by just changing the cameras to hd-sdi .

Any help or links to products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There's no point in converting HD-SDI to IP. Either install a complete HD-SDI system or a complete IP system. Combining the two is a waste, since once you encode and compress the HD-SDI signal, it will be basically the same as you would get from an IP system at a substantial extra cost.

I have to disagree with you. I think a low cost $350ish 4 channel HD-SDI encoder could be very useful. I have been very impressed with HD-SDI camera image quailty vs price. Most of our customers are "take overs" looking to upgrade to HD/MP and this would be a very cost effective option to move up in resolution. I understand you will not have all the benefits of a end to end HD-SDI solution but the image quality should be the same or better then I am getting from IP without having to re-cable or convert.

OK. Who, exactly, sells a "low cost $350ish 4 channel HD-SDI encoder"? And, except for live monitoring, the video quality of recorded HD-SDI converted to IP is likely to be no better, and possibly worse, than a straight IP system.

OK. Who, exactly, sells a "low cost $350ish 4 channel HD-SDI encoder"? And, except for live monitoring, the video quality of recorded HD-SDI converted to IP is likely to be no better, and possibly worse, than a straight IP system.

Nobody sell it

He is talking about would be nice to have

No one sells one but I can see a need for one. A $150 HD-SDI, $350ish encoder and with a VMS licenses would be a very cost effective HD upgrade option.

No one sells one but I can see a need for one. A $150 HD-SDI, $350ish encoder and with a VMS licenses would be a very cost effective HD upgrade option.

So you're recommending vaporware? Now I understand...

So you're recommending vaporware? Now I understand...

?? I am not recommending anything I am simply saying there would be a need for a product. What's up with the hostility?

Hostility? I just see no point converting HD-SDI to IP and then distributing the IP stream to a DVR/NVR for recording or monitoring. HD-SDI (or its sister technology, HDcctv) does apparently offer some image quality benefits for "live" monitoring, due to its lack of compression and ultra-low latency. However, once the signal is encoded and compressed, those benefits disappear.

Starting with HD-SDI/HDcctv and then converting it to IP through an encoder before it reaches the monitor/recorder eliminates the benefits and adds unnecessary cost. It would be like using a gasoline engine to convert water to steam, then powering your car with a steam engine.

Hostility? I just see no point converting HD-SDI to IP and then distributing the IP stream to a DVR/NVR for recording or monitoring. HD-SDI (or its sister technology, HDcctv) does apparently offer some image quality benefits for "live" monitoring, due to its lack of compression and ultra-low latency. However, once the signal is encoded and compressed, those benefits disappear.

Starting with HD-SDI/HDcctv and then converting it to IP through an encoder before it reaches the monitor/recorder eliminates the benefits and adds unnecessary cost. It would be like using a gasoline engine to convert water to steam, then powering your car with a steam engine.

I am looking at this as a very cost effective way to upgrade current customers with analog cameras. I have tested many HD-SDI cameras starting at a $100 with very impressive image quality but terrible user experience with the DVRs. Our current customers with analog cameras have already total us they are not purchasing any more analog cameras when their current ones go bad. As you already know to upgrade these analog cameras our options are a) re-cable each camera b) use coax adapters. If I could replace the current analog encoders with HD-SDI encoders and then replace the cameras with HD-SDI cameras this COULD be a very effective way to upgrade to HD. I am not concerned at all with the other benefits a end to end HD-SDI system. I truly think this is the only way HD-SDI will take off for anything over 4-8 channel customers.

Two grand for four channels? Quite steep, especially when you consider HD-SDI cameras are priced in the same ballpark as IP cameras.

Marshall's VS-541-HDSDI - 2.0MP 20X Zoom IP Box Camera is $2k. I can buy three or more 2MP IP cameras for the cost of one of their HD-SDI cameras. Adding an HD-SDI encoder puts that even further out of reach, with virtually no benefit over IP. Even adding EoC converters to the mix would still leave full-IP at approximately $800 to $1,00 per channel versus HD-SDI at $2,500 per channel.

Yeah, there are cheaper alternative HD-SDI cameras but like Todd Rockoff says, there's no guarantee of compatibility within HD-SDI.

I totally agree $2000 is ridiculous especially when I have a stack of 4 channel HD-SDI DVRs for $250 each and cameras ranging from $100 to $200.

So far I haven't seen any compatibility issues with different manufactures of HD-SDI products

Two grand for four channels? Quite steep, especially when you consider HD-SDI cameras are priced in the same ballpark as IP cameras.

Marshall's VS-541-HDSDI - 2.0MP 20X Zoom IP Box Camera is $2k. I can buy three or more 2MP IP cameras for the cost of one of their HD-SDI cameras. Adding an HD-SDI encoder puts that even further out of reach, with virtually no benefit over IP. Even adding EoC converters to the mix would still leave full-IP at approximately $800 to $1,00 per channel versus HD-SDI at $2,500 per channel.

i still haven't seen anyone address your other point at the very top of the thread, and is, what vms's would even support the sdi-to-ip encoders? it's all well and good that you could drop a couple grand to convert your sdi cameras to ip, but it doesn't do much good if you don't have a vms or nvr that can record that stream.

I saw a HD-SDI encoder at ASIS and they had Milestone and think Exacq connected to it. I laughed at them when they told me the price was $2K MSRP. Also it took a lot of coaxing but they finally admitted that the unit did not have onboard motion detection so you had to use a VMS with server based motion detection.

Since your customer already stated no more analog cameras, why not just convert them over to ip slowly with a hybrid recorder and call it good?

We already installed a hybrid solution for the customer. The point I am trying to make is it would be cheaper to use a hdsdi encoder with hdsdi cameras then use IP cameras where you will have to use coax converters or re-cable every analog to convert them to HD.

Edited by Guest

Probably because there is little or no interest. HD-SDI is aimed at low-end users, as are DVRs (SD or HD). Typically, standalone encoder/VMS systems are aimed at the higher-end users.