ian_flux

Is plain old HD-SDI actually dead?

The linked site misleads people. Wicked, all I have to say. There is no specific reason, technically, for HD-TVI to perform better than HD-CVI or HD-AHD. Let them compete each other so that end users can enjoy better quality and better price. HD-SDI, carrying video in form of raw digital, no compression, is still expensive when compared to those HD-Analogs, listed above. And CCTV is becomng Cost driven market, not tech driven any longer. So HD_SDI seems to be losing its ground.

TVI and CVI are readily available, cheap and have lots of camera choices...new installs should be IP (for most applications, that the very least run ethernet and use baluns so the system can be easily upgraded in the future)..these are transitional technologies.

Thanks for your opinions.

The linked site misleads people. Wicked, all I have to say. There is no specific reason, technically, for HD-TVI to perform better than HD-CVI or HD-AHD. Let them compete each other so that end users can enjoy better quality and better price. HD-SDI, carrying video in form of raw digital, no compression, is still expensive when compared to those HD-Analogs, listed above. And CCTV is becomng Cost driven market, not tech driven any longer. So HD_SDI seems to be losing its ground.

I'm wondering if that site only trades with particular manufacturers and thus are excluding the other technologies solely for that reason.

TVI and CVI are readily available, cheap and have lots of camera choices...new installs should be IP (for most applications, that the very least run ethernet and use baluns so the system can be easily upgraded in the future)..these are transitional technologies.

I'm including analogue HD because despite a flood of no name IP cameras at very reasonable prices recently, the price difference is still very clear. For example, the linked site is pushing an 8CH TVI with cams for just under $1k, but the IP equivalent is just over $2k.

CCTV is becomng Cost driven market, not tech driven any longer.

So am I being unrealistic to rule out the cheaper brands? I posted a question where I said I thought all the DVRs now looked like generic black boxes, with poorly designed front panels.

Ok. It was an example, but I appreciate that. I need UK suppliers anyway!

I also see that NVRs have held their prices because of the arrival of POE units. I can buy a 32CH non POE NVR for £16 more than a nearly identical 8CH POE unit. If I can find a reputable supplier with reasonable prices I'll actually consider IP over TVI.

Does it matter about the format.

69 years of analog and still used today it still works and does the job and still sold ..... In some cases analog can do a better job I.e plate capture

IP HD and rest .... Yes better image but all still works

I think it matters.

Sooner or later the industry will retire analogue and it will become a legacy format. Sooner or later many customers will expect a higher resolution format.

A shop I recently visited had eight cameras in a very small trading area. The shopkeepers primary concern being, he wanted to be able to identify criminals and what they had done clearly, post event. I would say that with a higher resolution, identification is going to be much easier.

Its impossible to control everyone and use, for example, NPR where people are free to roam. There's a limited number of channels and people don't want maximum amount of cameras. Only today I had to use an analogue PTZ to identify a number plate. A higher res fixed camera could have provided the info if I hadn't of been there to operate the camera.

Every so often, the police are looking for a fuzzy faced man - have you seen him?

So analog has never been able to identify anyone ?

Its has, but required good quality cameras and more importantly tight frames...it was never possible to get a good overview that contained detail with analog. There is absolutely no reason to be using low res analog in 2015.

So analog has never been able to identify anyone ?

Those are not my words. I just think its time to look further forward now.

All of the equipment I've ever worked with so far has been analogue. A long time back, I even had dealings with timelapse VCR systems, they seemed great at the time but then we had DVRs and then we got to D1...

Think about it as an advantage to possibly having to fit less cameras, and definitely having less dilemma about field of view vs position.

With better quality, one good frame with magnification increases possibility to identify significantly.

720p = 3 x D1 pixels

1080p = 6 x D1 pixels