Q2U

High end cams for vehicle?

I've been thinking about installing two (2) high-end cameras in my vehicle. One would face forward and the other would face the rear. I would like both to record whenever my vehicle is moving. I see a lot of junk on both eBay and Amazon but has any of you guys given this idea any consideration or does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

My thoughts include using a small POE switch to run two 2MP 1080P cameras at 30FPS.

Ideas?

Thoughts?

Tear this apart for me?

You're a fool for even considering higher end cameras! MostESPECIALLY anything that might be made in North America. Waste of money! Low-end Chinese cams are the only thing worth considering. Buy them and put the savings into guns, armor, and canned goods for the revolution that'll be needed when the Chinese finish buying off America.

Or just run a regular old 12v NVR (soft mounted against vibration failure) off the car's electrics (either with a true 12v power supply or a true sine inverter to run the 110v into the NVR), used keyed power to fire a relay so it only runs while the car is turned on, and mount a pair of little Axis P1214E cams somewhere inconspicuous.

Bro, I already have way too much ammo, way too many guns, food that'll still be good when I die of old age...propane...stabilized gas...generators...lights...stoves...heaters...medical supplies...yadda...yadda...yadda.

What I need now is video to protect me from these lunatics on the highway.

Maybe tell us which car you have so we can recommend a good cam. How much horsepower are you looking to gain with just a cam though?

223036_1.jpg

Ain't no such thing as too much ammo. Practice practice practice.

Seriously though, contact Axis and tell them what you want. Google Q8108-R for a higher end solution and they'll hook you up.

And nice touch vector.

Wait let's start from the beginning. I think going an IP cam or DVR route is a bit overkill not to mention the amount of point of failures. If you want great image quality and something simple, get a ITB - 100HD SP and call it a day.

Take it from me.. you want something simple in this situation. (I'm out a 50k dollar car thanks to an insurance scam accident last November...ugh) My SD card corrupted on the dash cam I had installed, so I now know to check that more frequently.

Ain't no such thing as too much ammo. Practice practice practice.

Seriously though, contact Axis and tell them what you want. Google Q8108-R for a higher end solution and they'll hook you up.

And nice touch vector.

Axis site says they are discontinued.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_q8108r/

Must've caused too many nosebleeds...

is there a reason that it has be high-end, there should be some affordable cameras out there that can probably do what you are looking for.

Your options for small HD IP cameras is very slim. Axis P1214-E is only 720P and not very good with any objects that are more then 15 feed away. Mobotix has a all-in-one solution with 2 5MP cameras (well maybe only 3MP images Mobotix isn't very clear) and a built in NVR.

There are plenty of options for small vehicle computers and POE switches that run on 12VDC but I have a feeling all of the options will make your noise bleed.

is there a reason that it has be high-end, there should be some affordable cameras out there that can probably do what you are looking for.

Perhaps I should have utilized a better term than "high-end." What I meant was NOT JUNK like most of the car cameras I see on eBay.

However, this product looks interesting.

I would want one that had front and rear cameras hooked up to one recording device and a display so the rear camera can double as a backup camera.

The Amazon reviews are always an interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dash+cam

There are a few well rated ones in the $100 and up range, and a bunch of crappy inexpensive ones. Looks like the dashcam forum is a good place to spend some time!

I'd like to see an integrated multi-cam solution - choice of 2 or 4 cams, with the recording gear in the trunk so it doesn't attract smash-and-grab types so much, and the optional display Buellwinkle mentioned.

Small netbook with BI and a SSD drive and a 12V to 110 converter and what ever cams you wish.

That was what I was thinking.

And the only time you can have to much ammo... Is when your house is on fire :P

My thoughts include using a small POE switch to run two 2MP 1080P cameras at 30FPS.

Ideas?

Thoughts?

Tear this apart for me?

Maybe, you can consider car mount camera, some of them have these features such as waterproof , support night vision.

Problem with car mount is rain. Dash mount the wipers will keep a clear view.

I thought about behind grill mount and rain hit me.

We don't get rain here, a tiny bit, 5" for the entire year, so not a big problem, but a small camera with good low light capability mounted behind the mirror would do the trick. Also, the make tiny cameras that mount on license plate frames for rear view cameras, maybe those can be used front and back and run to a small DVR with SD card to record.

If you want really high end look into the Panasonic Arbitrator 360 systems.. These are what law enforcement use.

I would want one that had front and rear cameras hooked up to one recording device and a display so the rear camera can double as a backup camera.

Trust me, that's what all the forward-thinking people want. Has to have battery monitoring, or at least come on with ignition, and boot quickly. Have bluetooth to feed/transfer video to phone when needed.

For ease of install, the consensus seems to be the FineVue.

BTW buellwinkle, in your blog about ZoneMinder, all the pictures are missing.

Thanks. I used to host the pictures on another site that got infected with a virus several times so I took it down. That review is now fixed.

I found the perfect dash cam and it's free, my smart phone. Get a car dock for it, put it on your dashboard and get a free dashcam app like AutoGuard for Android. It actually may be better because it integrates GPS for speed and direction of travel and integrates with navigation.

I'll second the using your phone idea. In fact I'm going to try using this scenerio:

Blue Iris on my home server

Setup the Iphone app to stream video (broadcast actually) to the server where it is recorded

replay as needed

There are a few issues - bandwidth being one (though LTE is great around here) and extra battery cycles by using it all the time. So maybe it's not a great idea.

I thought of that, but I use the phone for nav. (TomTom) Also if you leave it in the car on the dash you'll have a smash-N-grab quicker than you can say lickity-split.