Sign in to follow this  
saltyham

Dash Cams? Suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions on a certain kind of Dash board camera? any brand, model, make etc. need advice for an up and coming purchase.

Hey. I reviewed couple before.

Here is first dash cam I ever had, too expensive and quality not that good

http://bestpcreviews.com/cameras/182-kci-sbx-3100-dash-camera-review.html

This one I use now, I think it's perfect

http://bestpcreviews.com/cameras/217-itronics-itb-100hd-dash-camera-review.html

Nowadays most of cams you can get are available on ebay from other countries

I have the urive shotgun, and it is EXCELLENT! I bought mine used and it was missing the GPS antenna, but the cameras themselves are fantastic. It even sits in standby mode and turns into a standard DVR to record on motion when you are parked. It also has front and rear cameras to increase your odds of capturing evidence.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a certain kind of Dash board camera? any brand, model, make etc. need advice for an up and coming purchase.

I have a pair of the Lukas ACE Blackbox Driving Recorder one in the front and one n the rear. I've tried others but I find this one to be the best. I also own a iPASS Black SMART plus ITB-100UD SP that is nice but maybe not quite as nice as the LUKAS. The ITB now sits on a shelf back in the box like new. Hardly ever used. I would say to read here http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/

I also have tried others but still think the LUKAS is by far the best.

I have 2 Mini 0801 with GPS, works great, very clear picture, day or night, cost $109 shipped. Also have the WS300W very good quality image, no GPS and larger than the Mini 0801 so does not fit where I want it in every car, but fits well in my Smart but not in my Audi. The larger size does provide for a nicer larger screen and also has decent battery life to take post accident video.

Here's my take though, you can pay more but not sure paying twice as much even gets you a few percent improvement and not sure that a better image would give you better results in the court of law if your intent is to use this video to defend yourself because of a accident or say a red light ticket or speeding when you can demonstrate you were in the right. What I look for is -

1. 1080P, it's cheap enough to not want this

2. Wide Angle - look for 120-140 degrees to get a decent view in an accident

3. No noise to low noise at night

4. Size, for me it has to fit behind the rear view mirror so I don't see it.

Everything else is optional or nice to have as I turn audio off (can't possibly help in court and in CA may be illegal to record a conversation unless all parties agree). G-Sensor is nice, most have this. GPS is nice, especially if you are trying to prove you were not speeding and to get location information and see the route you took on a map.

One thing some people want is a rear facing camera built in to the front camera. The reason I stayed away from these is that they tend to not be 1080P and I don't want a video of me driving, can't possibly help in an accident, especially if I was not paying attention.

What I would like but is not quite there yet is a camera recorder that mounts under the dash that has connections for two 1080P cameras. Mounted at my windshield and by my rear license plate, maybe the size of a stack of 3 nickels with a thin wire tucked into the headliner to feed back to the recorder. Then a small monitor mounted somewhere near the steering wheel that I can use to configure and view the cameras as well as use the rear one as a backup camera. I know in an accident the rear camera would be damaged, who cares, that's the least of my worries if I get rear ended.

I did another vid of my ws300w. The thing is rock solid man- always works. Love this camera. I wanted another for the rear window but it occurs to me that a lot of times my rear window isn't in the best shape visibilty wise. There's always something making it less than good- rain, salt from the roads, and now just plain snow. The best time for a rear window cam is the warmer months for sure, or warmer climates. So I'm holding off for now.

wJ2j6H8BG0o

It begins recording when the car turns on and stops when the car turns off. I have it set for a 10 second delay for on/off. It records full time throughout the drive, not motion based.

Edited by Guest

I think it's just a typo, but turns on when you start the car and turns off when you turn the ignition off. This depends on your car, for example, my Smart car does this, but my Audi has power on all the time for the 12V socket. I'm probably going to check with an installer to mount it permanently in the Audi so it's on ignition power. I would do it myself, but pro's know the tricks to make it look right.

I would love a rear facing camera but all my cars are convertibles so it may get crushed with the top down.

Nice video of the bridge. I miss bridges and tunnels when I moved from NYC to So Cal, I even miss the snow.

Aww, those darn convertibles.

Yeah that was a typo. The bridges are nice, until you're stuck on the cross bronx for an hour! The snow is nice...to look at! Keep it all a fond memory. You're in the better spot for sure!