shockwave199

Dash Camera catches me whacking a dumb deer

Dash cams are digital systems- this is as good a forum as any I guess! This 'dumb as cotton' deer ran right out in front of me a few weeks back. This is why I put the camera in my car, to catch stuff like this, although I wish it didn't happen, that's for sure. Geico loved the footage! And so did I because it showed I had no chance and that I didn't just run it over for lack of paying attention. It was 2k in damage and 500 balloons out of my pocket for the deductible because this moronic animal chose that moment to do this. The thing went tumbling off the road. I never did see if it survived. It may have- I caught it in the hind legs. Broken legs usually spells eventual death for wild animals. If it did survive, do you think it learned it's lesson? Not hardly. One of the dumbest animals on the planet. I chalk it up to being very lucky though. A second earlier and that thing could have come right through my windshield and killed me, or totaled my car. Risk in driving is a numbers game- eventually your number comes up.

O-yAhGO6Wfk

I'm tellin ya, these things are a Godsend. Without that video footage you would have had to explain what happened, while the adjuster rolled his eyes and found ways to not pay up. Glad you're OK! Critter hits can be totally unpredictable. You're very fortunate you clipped it in the butt because just a split second sooner an you could have nailed it square on and launched it through your windshield. Not a pretty sight.

I am pretty much unimpressed with the dashcam offerings out there though. Wading through piles of cheap Chinese crap to maybe get one that you can depend on to give you evidence that can be used in court is a crap shoot.

I'm plenty happy with my camera. It's 1080p and does as much as can be expected. It has survived brutally cold temps in the car all winter- starts right up and records, files are always in order. Dependable, set and forget operation- what a good dash cam should be. The only thing I've considered is adding a rear camera. New multi channel systems will be available in the states before long. I'll have to check them out and decide.

I just installed a 2 channel (front and back) dashcam in my car as well. Glad you are ok, because those deer strikes are a crap shoot! I will have to try an export on mine and see how it presents. When I am using the viewing software it shows speed and GPS coordinates. That has actually made me stay closer to the speed limit because I don't want some insurance wonk to tell me that speeding caused the problem and deny coverage. What kind of dashcam did you choose? This is the one I am using:

http://www.urive.co.kr/english/products/urive_shotgun.html

There is also a pretty active dash cam forum found here: http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/

That looks like a nice system. I actually prefer not to have gps for the reason you mention. Mine's a WS300w from Wrightwood. I totally love having it. It's even more necessary to record on the road than your home, imo. Way more risk and possible bad stuff to record. I think it's just a matter of time before they're standard options in new cars, built into rear view mirrors. They're that useful. I also belong to dashcam talk too.

This is my favorite new mirror mounted version.

243152_1.jpg

I purchased a similar mirror mounted dashcam from S.WILL 2 weeks ago.

I spent some time playing with it and installing it on Saturday. It works great and I am happy with its performance.

If it works fine, I definitely am getting two for my next rig, one for the front, one for the back, so in the next rear-ender, I can show to the judge and jury how the person behind was quaffing a beer or trying to text right before impact.

Wish I can put on in the rear window but my cars are all convertibles. I keep hoping they will make a camera with a separate lens, like for backup cameras where you can mount the lens on a license plate frame.

Am I the only one who would have tried to see what happened to the deer before the car?

And don't blame the deer or say it's a stupid animal; they did not have the chance to evolve quickly enough to know that roads are dangerous, considering cars have been deadly for them for about a hundred years only. Deers do what deers do, that's it.

Glad you're okay though, I hope the deer did not suffer too much before he died. I would have called the cops as soon as I would have found him, to end his suffering.

You're not the only one who would have checked on the poor little doe eyed deer first, good grief. If it had been a dog or cat, I would have been concerned for that first because it's someones pet. But a deer, no. Not for me anyway. They are a total nuisance and I have to drive super carefully each and every night because they are so unpredictable...and down right dumb. The deer was out of sight in the woods- gone. That's why I didn't go check on the freakin deer. If it were flailing around in the road I would have made a call to address that. But that wasn't the case and I wasn't about to go into the woods and see how the deer made out. I get where you're coming from. I'm not heartless. But when you've swerved enough and had enough near misses and now hit one, it gets old and very frustrating. And now that spring is marching on I have another thing to watch for- kamikaze birds. They're probably young and don't know any better but NOT having one fly into the car is nothing short of a miracle. That lasts a couple weeks. All that is in addition to raccoon, possums, and every other dopey thing. You'd think I live in the sticks, but I don't. And that's what makes it even more frustrating.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/nvision-trailblazer-electronic-deer-alert/57839

I have been running with this on my car for a year and a half. Nvision 12v deer alert.

EVERY dam deer I have seen has been either running away from my car, stopped in the middle of its run or chose to freeze. It even works at 80MPH!

I realize you can not prove a negative but given the number of deer strikes and close calls I have had in the past so far there is no doubt in my mind this works.

And for 11 bucks if it does not work at least its only 11 bucks.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/nvision-trailblazer-electronic-deer-alert/57839