icemountain

Help with Mobile DVR unit

I have a new Mobile DVR unit (for a delivery van) which is supposed to transmit video (from cameras) via a 3G network to a server which then can be accessed using client software.

The unit captures video perfectly from the cameras - i have checked the video stored on the unit's SD card and its alright. But the video lags very badly when viewed on the client software even on the lowest settings (bitrate/frame rate). I even put in a static ip sim and this caused no improvement. The internet connection network in our office (where we have the server) is fine and works well.

Please help !

I have a new Mobile DVR unit (for a delivery van) which is supposed to transmit video (from cameras) via a 3G network to a server which then can be accessed using client software.

The unit captures video perfectly from the cameras - i have checked the video stored on the unit's SD card and its alright. But the video lags very badly when viewed on the client software even on the lowest settings (bitrate/frame rate). I even put in a static ip sim and this caused no improvement. The internet connection network in our office (where we have the server) is fine and works well.

Please help !

Questions like these are hard to answer without a lot more information than what you've supplied.

There's several reasons that remote viewing could be lagging. Spots that can contribute to remote viewing lag:

1> The DVR itself is in essence pretty much a computer running a Linux OS dedicated to storing video as their primary function. Anything past that is a bonus. The make and model of the DVR itself would help identify exactly what processor is being used, how much internal memory it has, what type of i/o chipset it's using? Is this chipset capable of supporting 3G? etc etc. Right down to does the CPU used even support multi tasking properly? All of these factors can contribute to slower remote viewing speeds and without a make and a model there's no way to even start looking at this side of it.

2> The remote device being used to view. What OS is it running? What third party program are you using to remote view? etc etc

3> Is the ISP for both the sim card within your remote viewing device AND the sim card within the DVR on good data plans, or cheaper lower end of the scale, so which ISP is being used, and are they any good?

Clay Turner

Systems Integration Engineer

www.perisale.com.au