Al Drake

Reviving old PC for Netpromax FX-608

I am trying to restore a setup I have been using for several years. The MoBo needed replacing (D845GBV) so I am expecting a new D845GERG2 in a few days. Can anyone tell me an advange of a faster CPU? I am using an Intel P4 2.4 G W/2Gig Ram. I have maximum memory but I could look for the fastest CPU for that board if it would help any. I use an Intel® Pentium® 4 2.4Gig Processor with an e-GeForce 6200 graphics card also. If anyone could shed some light on any advantge of trying to make this a faster machine I would be grateful. I chose a new motherboard at a cost of $50 over buying a new DVR card. I plan on installing the old HDD hoping that will work without a reinstall as I am unable to get the card to work trying a clean install of Windows XP Pro.

Thanks to anyone with any suggestions that would help.

Al.

Here's Intel's compatability page for this mb:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gerg2/sb/cs-020076.htm

According to them, you can use up to a 3.06GHz cpu at 533 FSB if your BIOS is up to date. Looks like you can pick these CPUs up on ebay for $15 or so if you re-use your existing heatsink and fan. Be sure you get the mPGA478 version, as that's what your socket is, and there are other P4 3.06 chips with different sockets.

This'll give you a fair bit of improvement over your 2.4GHz cpu for a small price, especially if your old FSB was 400MHz, but it won't be magic. Your hard drive interface and memory bus are still older, slower technology.

If you want to keep expenses low, it's hard to go wrong with this approach. Likewise, if your CPU speed limited you before, this will buy some breathing room. Much more of an upgrade would require new memory, MB, cpu, and possibly power supply.

Here's Intel's compatability page for this mb:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gerg2/sb/cs-020076.htm

According to them, you can use up to a 3.06GHz cpu at 533 FSB if your BIOS is up to date. Looks like you can pick these CPUs up on ebay for $15 or so if you re-use your existing heatsink and fan. Be sure you get the mPGA478 version, as that's what your socket is, and there are other P4 3.06 chips with different sockets.

This'll give you a fair bit of improvement over your 2.4GHz cpu for a small price, especially if your old FSB was 400MHz, but it won't be magic. Your hard drive interface and memory bus are still older, slower technology.

If you want to keep expenses low, it's hard to go wrong with this approach. Likewise, if your CPU speed limited you before, this will buy some breathing room. Much more of an upgrade would require new memory, MB, cpu, and possibly power supply.

Thanks for the reply. I just placed the order. I am not sure if I can do any more of an upgrade as the requirements for the NetPromax FX 608 specifies the old motherboards with that chipset.

Al.