Secerator

Costco Q-See QT526 (QT526-5) with 8 QM6006B cameras thoughts

Hi,

I've been reading on this forum a lot in the past week and decided to make my first post about my experience.

I'm new to CCTV and decided to install a surveillance system at my house just to be safe and watch for the house while we're away.

While shopping at Costco I have seen a Lorex system installed and decided I want one (I'm kinda geek, I like computers and I do webdesign for living, also photography).

After reading reviews I went with Q-See QT526-5 16 channel DVR with 8 QM6006B cameras which are 600 TVL. (I think the DVR is made by TVT)

It says that it does D1 at 30fps on all channels, and looks like it really does what it says. (I only have 8 cameras right now), will add later.

Looks like they don't sell it anymore (but you can find reviews on costco website by searching google), it was on sale for $600 after $300off. Costco mentioned on the website that it comes with 500GB HDD because of the flooding in Taiwan (they usually have 1TB HDD) also they say in description that you can heve 2 HDDs at 2TB each maximum (a SATA cable was included to add another HDD).

I opened the DVR and actually you can add 2 more HDDs to a total of 3. I have some HDDs and will try to add later. Still testing the system.

Also Costco had same DVR with 16 cameras for an additional $200 (also on sale).

I set it up and everything works, not the best looking software, or very practical, but it works. I have nothing to compare too, but I'm sure the software could be better.

One of the camera had an adjustment screw threads broken. Also I have seen some people mentioning the same thing on a similar q-see system from Costco.

Video quality is OK, same thing, nothing to compare too.

Video/power cables look cheap, but they work.

It has 2 power supply with 2 splitters for 4 cameras each. Do you think that a short in one camera cable could damage all 4 cameras ont he same power supply? Or even the DVR? I will invest in a power box with fuses at a later time.

The only thing that bothers me the most is the FAN noise. I have it hidden very well in a wall along with a APC 550VA UPS which connects to a GFCI outlet. I tested it for about 20 minutes on the UPS and it was still working with 8 cameras. I plugged it back in to avoid a forced shut down.

The fan noise is not the bearing, is the airflow. Small thick fan. I covered all the air vents (for intake) on the DVR with some filter pads with duct tape to avoid dust going inside. Will change those once in a while. I did this because of the location of the DVR, may get dusty.

What I'm thinking to do is to cut the top metal cover of the DVR and add a big 120mm fan for quitter operation. Don't want to void the warranty, but I will do it sooner or later. The DVR should be hidden, and it is, but the noise uncovers it. You can hear it when walking 7-10ft from that wall.

Using the iphone for live view while on the ladder for proper camera angle adjustment was very helpful.

Iphone app is $2, ipad is $10 (SuperCam pro) I did not buy the ipad version yet. The free app is crap. The paid one will allow to view recorded files and DVR setup as from a local computer.

I think that camera/lens angle is around 50-55 degrees. Will need at least 2 more cameras with a wider view.

Looking to buy something for wide view outdoor (front door), but I will have to research this forum for recommendations..

Some cameras developed some kind of stains on the inside part of the glass where the IR leds are. (like smoking stains probably from led heat??) All leds work good.

On the first night of installation two of the cameras was showing white lines running on the screen vertically. Those cameras are on the same side of the hosue where the power enters the house also those two are connected on a metal fascia of the house. Probably ground loop, but next day the lines disappeared, also for the next night, will update if will see them again.

It was foggy last two nights. Video showed like it was snowing. White dots which triggered the motion recording. Set the sensitivity to 1 and it stopped recording, but that also stopped recording for one of the camera even on driving the car in the area of motion. So I set it to 3 for now, will see tonight if the fog will trigger the recording.

I don't know if I could change the lenses on these cameras, would be nice to have a wider angle on 2 of them.

That's all for now.

Excuse my English.

Edited by Guest

Give and take with everything. I got a qsee 408 last year with a 500gb HD with no fan needed. Quiet as a mouse. We have an open eye dvr at work and the fan so loud it sounds like a vacuum is on- horrid. You'll likely change out all qsee cams for better brand cameras- I certainly did very quickly. They really include total crap cameras with the box packages. I really like the qsee dvr though. It's doing great for me. It's recommended you run no less than two cameras on those 4-way splitter power supplies. They are made to be filled with all four cameras. I would NOT close up air vents on the dvr. You're asking for an early, overheating death. Change out the fan for a quieter one if you must, but do not seal up the air vents for the sake of dust or noise. Put some good cameras in line and you'll likely have a good system. Good luck.

I did not blocked the vents, just put some filter on them, I'm sure the air flow is good. Will clean them. I want to keep it like that for a month and see if it catches any dust.

I know there are some posts about cameras and I read a lot, but it takes a lot of time to find a good recommendation.

Which cameras would you recommend for an all around outdoor camera? I know every spot with it's specific camera. Bot something that will work in most of the cases?

I heard about CNB monalisas..

Will do some research, but I don't have the money to replace all the cameras, I still have 8 free channels, lots of room for adding cameras....

Some cameras developed some kind of stains on the inside part of the glass where the IR leds are. (like smoking stains probably from led heat??) All leds work good.

I played with some Qsee and some of them had stains on the glass. I think it is from the plastic outgassing (think like new car smell). Cheap plastics will do that. Cleaned off with windex has not been an issue going forward.

Wide angle is fine to see what is going on but make sure you get some narrow to get identification and make out plates.

The rain and fog with sensitivity set at 3 (from 1 to 6) will still trigger the motion recording. Especially at night when the IR reflects into the rain drops.

At 1 it will not trigger the motion sensor sometimes even if the car is moving in the driveway.

Now I'm looking into installing 1-2 motions sensors. From this forum looks like I should go with Crow or Optex PIRs.

Could someone recommend the best reputable/cheapper 3-4 places to shop for CCTV and security products?

If no links allowed, please post the name and I will find them on google.

Thanks.

wow.. i thought these sensors will be no more than $20-$30. They are more like $78-$100. Found the Optex 402 on Amazon for $78.

How do you connect an Optex 402 PIR? Just 2 wires from the DVR sensor connectors which will provide power and signal transmission to and from PIR or it needs 2 wires for power and two for signal?

Hi,

I've been reading on this forum a lot in the past week and decided to make my first post about my experience.

I'm new to CCTV and decided to install a surveillance system at my house just to be safe and watch for the house while we're away.

While shopping at Costco I have seen a Lorex system installed and decided I want one (I'm kinda geek, I like computers and I do webdesign for living, also photography).

After reading reviews I went with Q-See QT526-5 16 channel DVR with 8 QM6006B cameras which are 600 TVL. (I think the DVR is made by TVT)

It says that it does D1 at 30fps on all channels, and looks like it really does what it says. (I only have 8 cameras right now), will add later.

Looks like they don't sell it anymore (but you can find reviews on costco website by searching google), it was on sale for $600 after $300off. Costco mentioned on the website that it comes with 500GB HDD because of the flooding in Taiwan (they usually have 1TB HDD) also they say in description that you can heve 2 HDDs at 2TB each maximum (a SATA cable was included to add another HDD).

I opened the DVR and actually you can add 2 more HDDs to a total of 3. I have some HDDs and will try to add later. Still testing the system.

Also Costco had same DVR with 16 cameras for an additional $200 (also on sale).

I set it up and everything works, not the best looking software, or very practical, but it works. I have nothing to compare too, but I'm sure the software could be better.

One of the camera had an adjustment screw threads broken. Also I have seen some people mentioning the same thing on a similar q-see system from Costco.

Video quality is OK, same thing, nothing to compare too.

Video/power cables look cheap, but they work.

It has 2 power supply with 2 splitters for 4 cameras each. Do you think that a short in one camera cable could damage all 4 cameras ont he same power supply? Or even the DVR? I will invest in a power box with fuses at a later time.

The only thing that bothers me the most is the FAN noise. I have it hidden very well in a wall along with a APC 550VA UPS which connects to a GFCI outlet. I tested it for about 20 minutes on the UPS and it was still working with 8 cameras. I plugged it back in to avoid a forced shut down.

The fan noise is not the bearing, is the airflow. Small thick fan. I covered all the air vents (for intake) on the DVR with some filter pads with duct tape to avoid dust going inside. Will change those once in a while. I did this because of the location of the DVR, may get dusty.

What I'm thinking to do is to cut the top metal cover of the DVR and add a big 120mm fan for quitter operation. Don't want to void the warranty, but I will do it sooner or later. The DVR should be hidden, and it is, but the noise uncovers it. You can hear it when walking 7-10ft from that wall.

Using the iphone for live view while on the ladder for proper camera angle adjustment was very helpful.

Iphone app is $2, ipad is $10 (SuperCam pro) I did not buy the ipad version yet. The free app is crap. The paid one will allow to view recorded files and DVR setup as from a local computer.

I think that camera/lens angle is around 50-55 degrees. Will need at least 2 more cameras with a wider view.

Looking to buy something for wide view outdoor (front door), but I will have to research this forum for recommendations..

On the first night of installation two of the cameras was showing white lines running on the screen vertically. Those cameras are on the same side of the hosue where the power enters the house also those two are connected on a metal fascia of the house. Probably ground loop, but next day the lines disappeared, also for the next night, will update if will see them again.

It was foggy last two nights. Video showed like it was snowing. White dots which triggered the motion recording. Set the sensitivity to 1 and it stopped recording, but that also stopped recording for one of the camera even on driving the car in the area of motion. So I set it to 3 for now, will see tonight if the fog will trigger the recording.

I don't know if I could change the lenses on these cameras, would be nice to have a wider angle on 2 of them.

That's all for now.

Excuse my English.

Those white vertical lines were spider webs.

Blowing fog will look like snow because the DVR is processing the video with a little lag.

If the unit has an external power supply the fan is mainly to make the hard drives last longer. A larger fan would be quieter, of course. Keep in mind that they size the fan for worst possible scenario...three hard drives installed and when ambient temperature is very high.

One way to quiet it down would be to add a fan speed controller like the type used for PCs. PCs commonly use variable speed fans with temp sensors so they are quieter.

There may be several processors on the main system board that get warm, but the main issue is that a cool-running hard drive will last much longer.

I have 2 Qsee around the house, they seem to really get screwed up by fog (different model though). I've had other IR bullets that did not do this. The video just shows this swirling around.

1598043382_Picture7.png.f342188fff3429e1b8329928e4504b1f.png

The white lines was a ground loop problem which I solved by placing a piece of plastic between the camera body mount and the metal part of the house.

The ground loop reappeared when I installed a dedicated power supply which had a 3 prong cord (with ground).

The original "wall charger type" transformers had only 2 prongs.

I solved the ground loop problem by using a 3 to 2 prong adapter for the new power supply.

The fog at night is pretty bad. Rain the same. Will just live with it. Otherwise work good.

One camera started having problems with switching into night mode. In some nights it will switch, other nights will not. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power will fix it.

I contacted the customer support by internet and they responded pretty quick. They sent me a RMA and send me a shipping label.

Will send it to them for repairs or exchange.

This is what I did to quiet it down: I replaced the fan with a slower one from newegg. Also I cut the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill. Much quieter now!

Attaching some screenshots of 3 cameras in the daytime (rainy day).

driveway.jpg.28354fa36fd244b27bd414632d782718.jpg

front-door.jpg.83de686f9a7bed5ee7e037d006377346.jpg

trash.jpg.811e5a9610913d50164c2ca31bd61bff.jpg

I also bought the QT526 with 16 of those cameras included for $760. It comes tomorrow and I will test and compare it with the other system I just got (Revo R16D4B4SYS-1000) the Revo only has 8 cameras and doesn't do D1 at 30fps on all channels. I have a suspicion that the q-see is a better DVR, with better remote software and iOS support, and that the q-see cameras are a little bit better than the Revo. I will see, and post some pictures for those also curious about considering low end low cost systems

I bought the 8 cameras one because I wanted to be able to add some better cameras to it.

Just installed my first CNB VCM-24VF, a little better image than my q-see which are also 600TVL, but it's great to be able to choose your focus and focal length also this one is vandal resistant.

The white lines was a ground loop problem which I solved by placing a piece of plastic between the camera body mount and the metal part of the house.

The ground loop reappeared when I installed a dedicated power supply which had a 3 prong cord (with ground).

I solved the ground loop problem by using a 3 to 2 prong adapter for the new power supply.

The fog at night is pretty bad. Rain the same. Will just live with it. Otherwise work good.

One camera started having problems with switching into night mode. In some nights it will switch, other nights will not. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power will fix it.

I contacted the customer support by internet and they responded pretty quick. They sent me a RMA and send me a shipping label.

This is what I did to quiet it down: I replaced the fan with a slower one from newegg. Also I cut the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill. Much quieter now!

Hi, and thanks for this post. I just ordered the Costco system with the QT426 and the same cameras as yours. I've been reading more about this 'ground loop' issue and want to know more before I get the who install underway.

Did you use the supplied 'siamese' power/coax wire that came with your system, or did you use Cat5 with baluns?

With regards to the ground looping issue...

I was going to installed a dedicated power supply box, but I've read that using the supplied transformers eliminates the ground looping problem. Apparently, that was not the case in your setup. So by simply getting a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter for the power cord of the power supply, that eliminated the ground loop problem? I'm a bit confused, but I'll take any input I can get on this.

Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for this post. I just ordered the Costco system with the QT426 and the same cameras as yours. I've been reading more about this 'ground loop' issue and want to know more before I get the who install underway.

Did you use the supplied 'siamese' power/coax wire that came with your system, or did you use Cat5 with baluns?

With regards to the ground looping issue...

I was going to installed a dedicated power supply box, but I've read that using the supplied transformers eliminates the ground looping problem. Apparently, that was not the case in your setup. So by simply getting a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter for the power cord of the power supply, that eliminated the ground loop problem? I'm a bit confused, but I'll take any input I can get on this.

Thanks!

The ground loop issue he's talking about is the one caused by mounting the camera to an earth-grounded metal surface. It sounds like there may have also been a problem between the power can's earth ground and the DVR's earth ground. Neither of these should be related to the balun/common-ground issue.

I used a few cameras with original cables and a few with baluns and cat6.

Yes, by simply getting a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter for the power cord of the power supply eliminated the ground loop problem.

Thanks Secerator!

I'm curious to know how the image quality is holding up since the pictures you posted in this thread in late January? Would you say that everything is functioning as well as when first installed?

Also, I'm curious if you happen to have any night time images of the same scenes. I'm curious to see these camera's nighttime performance.

Same image quality. I don't check them as often now. just when I expect a UPS delivery..

I don't have any night pics so far.

My Q-See died...

Nothing will appear on the connected monitor, same for the LAN and online.

It receives power because the fan is spinning. The HDD is spinning too.

Just contacted Q-See. Will see how long will take to hear from them.

Ouy- sorry to hear that.

You restarted the dvr and nothing?

They usually get back to you via email in a day. But if you need to go through the RMA process- my guess is 3- 4 weeks down time waiting for a replacement. Let us know, and good luck.

Ouy- sorry to hear that.

Ditto the sentiment.

Although the hard drive appears to be spinning, it could be a hard drive issue nonetheless. Do you have a hard drive that you can install temporarily to see if that's possibly the issue?

Just want to mention that you may have voided the warranty by replacing the fan with a slower one (which you can always change back) and cutting "the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill." I'm just wondering if you need to RMA the DVR if they'll do anything once they see that modification.

Ouy- sorry to hear that.

Ditto the sentiment.

Although the hard drive appears to be spinning, it could be a hard drive issue nonetheless. Do you have a hard drive that you can install temporarily to see if that's possibly the issue?

Just want to mention that you may have voided the warranty by replacing the fan with a slower one (which you can always change back) and cutting "the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill." I'm just wondering if you need to RMA the DVR if they'll do anything once they see that modification.

Forgot about that. My guess is you're SOL with warranty service because of that. Good idea to try a different hard drive if you want to salvage the dvr.

I removed the HDD (that's what the customer service representative recommended too), no changes.

I actually put the original fan back shortly after cutting the grill out because I realized that most of the noise was coming from the grill, not the fan

Cutting the fan grill should not affect the warranty since this modification can't damage the DVR.

I can always take it back to costco if they refuse to fix it.

Now they sent me a firmware update that I should put on a USB, connect it to DVR, then turn the power on. This should flash the firmware automatically.

.. tried, no changes.

Tried twice, once with the HDD connected and once without HDD.

Noticed one of the heatsinks on the motherboard is very hot.

DVR was sent for repairs at no cost (in warranty).

They take it seriously if you bought it from costco (because costco has a very good return policy).

They sent me a label to ship it. From shipping day to getting it back: 2weeks.

Mother board was replaced. Now i noticed both heatsinks are hot (probably that's how it should be).

I would cut the top part of the case and install a larger computer case fan, but I don't want to do it while I'm still in the warranty period.

Got it back with HDD formatted and I had to set everything again from start.

Now I noticed one camera is dead, will RMA it. This is the second camera that goes bad from 8 in half a year.

This camera was the most exposed to the elements. In full hot GA sun all day. Not covered. Not under an eve or something. Full sun, full rain.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the follow up and posting the screenshots.

Just an FYI. I had 2 QSee systems die this week that are out of warranty. These were purchased at the same time about 2 years ago and both exhibited the same issue within a week of each other. Essentially the dvr will not recognize the hard drive, so it stopped recording. Can still access the dvr via network or Internet and it gives no indication that anything is wrong, until you try to playback video - nothing is there. The hard drive in each system is fine though. I tested by trying to install a new hard drive in each dvr (no luck) and installing the hard drives taken from the systems in a spare (the drives work fine).

I'm not seeking help to fix the issue as the next stop for these systems is a landfill. They served their purpose for a couple of years and now it's on to something better. Just posting for information only. Reliability of these systems = not so good.