Secerator

Costco Q-See QT526 (QT526-5) with 8 QM6006B cameras thoughts

Can someone help me understand how to use the audio out of my Q-see DVR?

I'm planning to install 3 MIC's in the audio in ports.

The DVR is connected to a TV with VGA.

Can I get live audio from a MIC on the TV speakers? I can't select the audio source on the TV to be the AV-in, since the video source is the VGA.

Or it's just recorded audio that I can get from that audio out output?

Also, can you recommend an IR light that I can use separately to illuminate the back yard at night?

Thanks!

Just an FYI. I had 2 QSee systems die this week that are out of warranty. These were purchased at the same time about 2 years ago and both exhibited the same issue within a week of each other.

...Reliability of these systems = not so good.

At least I bought them from costco and I can return them at any time, even after 2 years.

These are not included in their 90 days special return policy for TVs and cameras/computers. It's on their general return policy... I think..

Yeah, that's one thing that sets costco apart from other places. It sucks when the policy has to be utilized though. I'd much rather have something reliable (I'm sure you'll agree).

I've been working with electronic devices over many years and any device can develop issue at any time, but when the same devices develop the same issue within the same amount of time you know it's something wrong with the product.

By the way, for anyone reading this, my intent is not to bash QSee. I've been happy with the record quality of these systems (when they worked ). But, as the saying goes, you buy cheap you get cheap Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed

I realized a week ago that my dvr is dead again.

Contacted the customer support.

If it dies one more time after this, I might take everything back to costco and get something reliable.. or see if q-see wants to solve this by offering me something that actually keeps working..

The interesting thing is, buying expensive is no guarantee either when it comes to dvr's. We have an expensive one at work- it sucks balls. Not to mention, a 528 is NOT cheap in price anywhere I've looked. In my experience, whether it's a cctv dvr or a movie/tv dvr- they all tend to suck and are generally unreliable in the long run. Getting a good one, no matter by who or what quality, seems to be a matter of luck. I don't know why it's so hard to make a reliable dvr of any kind, consistently. But apparently, it is. My q-see 408 has been great, which I consider a matter of luck.

I have a 528 which was $300 on sale at Costco with 4 cameras (not bad cameras either). So, not that expensive. Updated the firmware a while back, which did work. The catch to that is I cannot access any longer on an old mac 10.5...

I realized a week ago that my dvr is dead again.

Contacted the customer support.

If it dies one more time after this, I might take everything back to costco and get something reliable.. or see if q-see wants to solve this by offering me something that actually keeps working..

OK, after sending the DVR the them the second time, it took about 2 weeks including both shipping times to get a new one. This time they did not repair it, they sent a new one which works so far.

Another camera died. Actually the one I got as a replacement for the previous one that died. So both cameras died on the same location.

This time I connected to a different cable (same location). That is the only Qsee camera that stays in full sun for the most part of the day, so I think this has something to do with it going bad.

Hi,

I'm trying to get my Q-See QT526 DVR to work with Proline UK cameras but the picture quality is really bad, not even acceptably bad. There is no color (actually it looks like the picture is in negative form or over-whitened) and there are 2 heavy horizontal lines that appear per second that ruin whatever is leftover of the video.

The DVR is brand new but the cameras were bought 10 years ago. The cams are CCD and work at 330 TVL. They use the same BNC (for video) and 12V (for power). The DVR has been tested with it's own Q-See cams and they work. The Proline UK cams have been tested with their own switch, and they work too.

I hope this is enough for someone to help me. I've been stuck on this for ages now. If you require any more information or clarification, please do let me know.

Thank you!

Hi Secerator,

I was wondering if you could provide the reference of the fan that you bought at newegg.com.

Thanks.

The white lines was a ground loop problem which I solved by placing a piece of plastic between the camera body mount and the metal part of the house.

The ground loop reappeared when I installed a dedicated power supply which had a 3 prong cord (with ground).

The original "wall charger type" transformers had only 2 prongs.

I solved the ground loop problem by using a 3 to 2 prong adapter for the new power supply.

The fog at night is pretty bad. Rain the same. Will just live with it. Otherwise work good.

One camera started having problems with switching into night mode. In some nights it will switch, other nights will not. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power will fix it.

I contacted the customer support by internet and they responded pretty quick. They sent me a RMA and send me a shipping label.

Will send it to them for repairs or exchange.

This is what I did to quiet it down: I replaced the fan with a slower one from newegg. Also I cut the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill. Much quieter now!

Attaching some screenshots of 3 cameras in the daytime (rainy day).

I don't remember which fan.

The DVR died two times in the past.

They fixed it the first time and sent a new one the second time.

After the second time, I use it without the case and the fan disconnected. (It gets good airflow in the place it is).