I have a PTZ camera that records to an SD card but I'd like to have it record directly to an SSD drive so it can be encrypted. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, any input on how to go about this?

My first thought is how you plan to make the camera understand the encryption and how you decrypt thru your viewing software.... that sounds tricky to me.

How would you attach an SDD drive to the camera that has an SD card slot? Does your camera have a USB or E-Sata port? Or are you talking a NAS with SSD drives in it and you'll use NFS/SMB/FTP to write to it? What brand/model PTZ do you have?

If I wanted to record encrypted video, I'd record to a TrueCrypt partition on a PC based NVR or an encrypted NAS. This would be unencrypted while mounted, of course, but if someone removed the device, they'd be unable to read the files without mounting them.

Like the others, I don't know of any cams that either output encrypted video or can record directly to an SSD.

I suppose it would be possible to write encryption software to run on the cam's processor, but that's above my pay grade.

I appreciate the input. I didn't know if this was possible but the goal is to record to an encrypted drive of some sort so if the camera is stolen, the video isn't viewable by the thief. MaxIcon's suggestion seems like the way to go.

I'm not looking to encrypt the stream, just the drive where video is stored. I suppose the solution would be as MaxIcon suggested - TrueCrypt on a partitioned hard drive where a VMS is housed along with the recordings. This will be integrated into a system all running on 12 volt and low power consumption and small form factor is essential. Any in-vehicle computer recs?