Sgsecurity

Beware of Cantonk and other cheap chinese manufacturers

As a fellow self employed security system installer/supplier, I thought it would be wrong of me not to report the issues I have encountered using cheaper Chinese manufacturers (in particular Cantonk CL) to source my stock.

The obvious reason for ordering stock from a Chinese supplier is the reduced cost for the customer and increase profit margin for myself.

This sounds all good in theory but it will soon turn around and bite you in the ass.

As times are getting tight, I decided to attempt to increase my profit margin by ordering my stock from a chinese manufacturer rather than through my normal local suppliers. Since my local suppliers sourced their products from china and a few other asian countries, I thought it would be a smart move.

After many hours of homework and conversing with a very eager Cantonk sales rep over skype. I decided on purchasing around $4,000 dollars worth of stock from Cantonk. I chose to make a small order to "test the waters" so to speak.

It took over 3 weeks for my products to arrive after payment and apparent shipment date.

On the day my stock arrived I made the mistake of only partly testing a few cameras. Due to limited stock I had a backlog of orders to fufill I only checked to see if the cameras powered on and produced a picture, re-packed, then mailed them to customers.

That same day I was to install a system. I decided to use the new Cantonk cameras for this install because a higher resolution camera would be required. That evening after I completed the system installation, I received a phone call from the client in which he described an issue with the cameras that I did not see after I finished install and configured the DVR.

The next day I checked on the installation to troubleshoot the issue. After reviewing the night footage recorded on the DVR, I was shocked to find the camera image flickering light and dark contrast. As though the camera couldn't decide if it was day or night. The flickering was so intense that the image was almost impossible to make out. Watching it for more than a few minutes would give you a headache.

Thinking it had to be a power issue, I upgraded the system power supply, rechecked power cables. The same problem continued, eventually I had to replace all the cameras that where installed. This cost me a full day.

This is an example video I made using one of the Cantonk day/night cameras, showing the flickering issue. As you can see in night mode the flickering is severe and when in day mode the image is actually very good.

ufvH3Kz8IfY

The cameras have OSD config options. Tweaking these settings in every possible configuration did not help solve the issue at all.

To make matters a lot worse, every customer that order I had filled with a Cantonk camera requested a refund.

Cantonk support insisted it was the power source of the camera causing the issue and went as far as to say the issue may be caused by local police bugging the power supply... What a joke. This is a quote from a Cantonk support email I received.

Just got the feedback from the engineer, if all cameras of the last order which you bought from me are have this question, then the problem will be the accessory or the external environment.

As i have this question from other customers before, one problem from the accessory,all power supply are not good;another from the external environment,like local police tapped all home via the power lines to monitor( get this information my other customer in Australia).

Quote from an email regarding Cantonk QC (quality control).

Dear friend, would you pls try to change other brand power to try the camera again? If several pcs cameras have problem, then need to check camera. But all cameras, then not sure the problem.

You are our old customer,Cantonk make sure QC all products very well, so that can send out the order, if can't pass QC, we also won't send them to any customer.

I have concluded that Cantonk quality control obviously do all their camera testing during the day or a very well lit environment, ignoring the night function.

It isn't possible that its an external environment issue like the power source because I have tested the cameras on every device possible and nothing changes. I also couldnt imagine that all the customers that requested refunds had a faulty power supply also.

I then had 18 cameras that I couldn't sell to anybody. I've then had to disassemble all 18 cameras, remove the video modules and return them to Cantonk for testing.

So I set out to increase my profits only to have it cost me 10 fold in lost time, refunds, bad reviews and the general head f*&k of it all.

Here is a photo of the camera board used in all of the latest 800tvl - 1000tvl camera range

_hJ2Gw0q8Uy9bnNh8YuU25igNxkCqTpmXsTqgZcsrmNSMq9RBBzw3oITt4UaZok2foJSA-WWiNA

Is anybody else experiencing this with their cameras?

To anybody considering this. Just remember that you get what you pay for and youl pay even more with your time.

photo-1.thumb.jpg.3755eb1cd431a62d589479f73e0f1bf6.jpg

Edited by Guest

Really trouble! learn a lesson, will ask them to test night effect if order next time.

As tempting as China sounds, frankly I don't trust them the same way I trust home brew suppliers. Thats the VERY reason I am willing to pay more for home suppliers distributors, they take the responsibility for faulty goods, they speak in plain language and they offer support which you just can't get from an overseas seller.

I suppose what I am saying in a nutshell is that you get what you pay for, and all the frustration and time wasted that you've had is not worth the potential saving. and now you are stuck with a load of rubbish you dare not sell. All that effort and for what? To save your customers money? Did any one of them thank you for it? I am willing to bet that NOT ONE of them did...

If a customer wants to penny-pinch, let them go to ebay and then simply install the rubbish they supply, that way if it goes wrong you get paid to come out and put it right. We just don't make enough to be supporting rubbish,concentrate your efforts where your biggest earning potential comes from, your labour charges.

I used to go out of my way for budget customers, now they get a price and thats it, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT... The less time I spend on them, the smoother it goes. There just isn't enough money in budget customers to put in a lot of effort selling. offer the deal you have offer, do the best work you can, make your money and move on to the next job would be my advice.

Spend your time and invest your money in a wise way and save yourself the stress, nobody will thank you for saving them money.

Thanks for the advice guys appreciate it I suppose ill have to take it as a lesson learnt just amazes me how a company like cantonk can still operate succesfully.

There only solution to fix the faulty boards was for me to disassemble every camera remove the ccds, and to ship them back for testing leaving me with a lot mess and no stock & out of pocket for having to pay for shipping.

What really cost me was the hours and hours of my time not to mention if I do hopefully get them back alot more time to reasemble them all.

Is this normal I was not aware that manufacturers would solve an issue like this in this way I know importing products from china makes me the manufacturer of them here meaning I have to replace them with no questions asked if they do not operate correctly but why should a sole trader have to do this when a big company like cantonk does not?

look at the quality of there boards they cant even put the ccd glass on straight

html>

Thanks for the advice guys appreciate it I suppose ill have to take it as a lesson learnt just amazes me how a company like cantonk can still operate succesfully.

There only solution to fix the faulty boards was for me to disassemble every camera remove the ccds, and to ship them back for testing leaving me with a lot mess and no stock & out of pocket for having to pay for shipping.

What really cost me was the hours and hours of my time not to mention if I do hopefully get them back alot more time to reasemble them all.

Is this normal I was not aware that manufacturers would solve an issue like this in this way I know importing products from china makes me the manufacturer of them here meaning I have to replace them with no questions asked if they do not operate correctly but why should a sole trader have to do this when a big company like cantonk does not?

look at the quality of there boards they cant even put the ccd glass on straight

attachment]

THATS EXACTLY MY POINT its all a false economy. But human nature being what it is...

haha wait until you see the amount of RMA a local distributor goes through with their supplier in China...its NOT normal when everything works like its suppose to.

Stay far away from Veilux. They claim they manufacturer their junk here, but realistically, all they do is if they don't import the cameras as a whole camera, they import the parts and assemble them here. I have used a few of their PTZ cameras and have had nothing but issues with them and they always claim the same excuse, check the power supply.

I have had many of my H.264 960H systems manufactured by Cantonk and am suprised by this negative feedback. I have ordered and installed hundreds, if not thousands of their cameras and NEVER had a problem. The DVR's network well using internet explorer or their DVR Client. Using mobile port 101, syems come up on mobile devices and tablets. Downloading video remotely is very easy and some of the clearest video we install.......

I have had many of my H.264 960H systems manufactured by Cantonk and am suprised by this negative feedback. I have ordered and installed hundreds, if not thousands of their cameras and NEVER had a problem. The DVR's network well using internet explorer or their DVR Client. Using mobile port 101, syems come up on mobile devices and tablets. Downloading video remotely is very easy and some of the clearest video we install.......

I never had an issue with their older 2012 stock which is why I made the second larger order of their new stock which have the ccd's with the dodgy firmware.

I would love you to show me some proof of an LS-138 ccd board with stock firmware installed actually working well during day and night.

Cantonk have since admitted to a firmware bug and suggested updating the CCD's, there is no way you could do that.

Oh,that is terrible, in my mind, cheap items always worse quality and support.

So the best way is to ask them for replacing the boards for you, replace them, this could help control the lost. Or else all are rubbish.... Then a nightmare.

Hey guys

being a manufacturer/supplier myself unless you have gone to China yourself and seen how the manufacturing works you won't understand. These companies just assemble these products but do not develop the camera. Their techs have not developed these products and cannot fix major issues that might happen. They do not understand how the weather in the winter is here. (were in ontario Canada).

Best way to deal with these companies is to use a Chinese manufacturer here and buy in bulk so all warranty related issues can be handled locally.I can give you a list of trusted suppliers in China to order from but $4000 is a joke to them and you won't be handled serious.

You can PM me if you have any further questions man I feel bad and would love to help in any way I can and you don't have to worry about any chinglish lol.

Bad luck, Cantonk is not a big company, you should investigate the company before order. Cantonk only simplely assemble all components, could not fix probs if occured.

I suggest you to replace the board from the supplier,otherwise you will loss more. Next time before ordering, you'd better to visit their factory first for long cooperation, otherwise purchase from local importer is better.

This response from Cantonk Corp.,Ltd .

Regarding for above issue,we have tried best and also provided the best solution for this customer,Mr Simon.Both sides have solved the problem with the satified results 5 monthes agao.

The problem: Mr Simon bought some cameras from us in January,2014.After received the goods and feedback the problem for us,we follow up it timely.He mentioned that some IMX138+FH8520 CCD boards which are couldn't work at night,he asked send back these CCD boards and replaced all new for him.

After received CCD boards ,Cantonk Technical Support Engineer tested and found these cameras are wihtout IR,so they had not night vision and wouldn't have good effort on the low illumination .But during the day,all of these CCD boards were work very well.Mr Simon also clearly this issue.

However,we take attention into customer's requirement,agreed to replace all new CCD boards for Mr Simon.Then both of us solved the problem with satified results.

Cantonk attaches great important to all customers and our cooperation.Also believe that each customer's credibility.But really can't believe exist this article.So we contact with Mr Simon about this issue again.

Quotes from Mr Simon email with the requirement to remove this article

What can you offer me to remove the announcement

You can send me samples of products that you think are suitable .

I might be able to remove the article if you send me some sample cameras to convince me to ever want to order with Cantonk again if not the article remains and No order will be made

I am heading towards hd-sdi cameras if you think you have suitable products that can offer great picture at night with no IR please let me know

Ok send ones with IR

Yes that sounds great

Sincerely we don't want to waste more time from customer and ours.Cantonk agreed to offer free one camera for Mr Simon which he asked.

Quote from Mr Simon email asking more and more free cameras.

Im afraid for me to remove the article including the youtube video that has had nearly 700 views I will require more than one camera as I think this would be quite beneficial to Cantonk.So if you would like me to help Cantonk by removing the article and also by removing the youtube video my request Is as follows

I do not think this is unfair this would be merley a wise investment on Cantonks behalf as im sure this would be impacting your sales by much more than 11 of your cheapest cameras

If you send the cameras the article will be removed and so will the video as I said before this is my final offer otherwise I would prefer to keep the article on there than to accept one camera as compensation for my time and money.

We try our best to provide the best solution for Mr Simon,but regarding not agree to offer this unfair requirement,he won't remove this article,we can't accept again.It will be unending requirement.Thanks.

Best Regards

Check with some of the major supply houses and find out how they qualify companies that they are going to sell for. I know they do extensive checking before they list any products. This avoids the exact problems you are experiencing.

This response from Cantonk Corp.,Ltd .

Regarding for above issue,we have tried best and also provided the best solution for this customer,Mr Simon.Both sides have solved the problem with the satified results 5 monthes agao.

The problem: Mr Simon bought some cameras from us in January,2014.After received the goods and feedback the problem for us,we follow up it timely.He mentioned that some IMX138+FH8520 CCD boards which are couldn't work at night,he asked send back these CCD boards and replaced all new for him.

After received CCD boards ,Cantonk Technical Support Engineer tested and found these cameras are wihtout IR,so they had not night vision and wouldn't have good effort on the low illumination .But during the day,all of these CCD boards were work very well.Mr Simon also clearly this issue.

However,we take attention into customer's requirement,agreed to replace all new CCD boards for Mr Simon.Then both of us solved the problem with satified results.

Cantonk attaches great important to all customers and our cooperation.Also believe that each customer's credibility.But really can't believe exist this article.So we contact with Mr Simon about this issue again.

Quotes from Mr Simon email with the requirement to remove this article

What can you offer me to remove the announcement

You can send me samples of products that you think are suitable .

I might be able to remove the article if you send me some sample cameras to convince me to ever want to order with Cantonk again if not the article remains and No order will be made

I am heading towards hd-sdi cameras if you think you have suitable products that can offer great picture at night with no IR please let me know

Ok send ones with IR

Yes that sounds great

Sincerely we don't want to waste more time from customer and ours.Cantonk agreed to offer free one camera for Mr Simon which he asked.

Quote from Mr Simon email asking more and more free cameras.

Im afraid for me to remove the article including the youtube video that has had nearly 700 views I will require more than one camera as I think this would be quite beneficial to Cantonk.So if you would like me to help Cantonk by removing the article and also by removing the youtube video my request Is as follows

I do not think this is unfair this would be merley a wise investment on Cantonks behalf as im sure this would be impacting your sales by much more than 11 of your cheapest cameras

If you send the cameras the article will be removed and so will the video as I said before this is my final offer otherwise I would prefer to keep the article on there than to accept one camera as compensation for my time and money.

We try our best to provide the best solution for Mr Simon,but regarding not agree to offer this unfair requirement,he won't remove this article,we can't accept again.It will be unending requirement.Thanks.

Best Regards

Wow, that is extortion. Absolutely despicable behavior demanding this kind of thing in return for removing information on something. Either the information is true or it isn't, irrespective of whether a manufacturer sends back more product.

Bravo gz-cctv,

Very good attempt at trying to defame me on this post after I denied your constant requests to remove the post. You have quoted a few paragraphs from dozens of emails between us and then twisted the words and added a few of your own to make me sound like the bad guy which is just rubbish.

This is one of many emails that I received from you that I decided to respond to.

From?Jodie@cantonk.com

Cc?

Subject?Re: Re:Cantonk CCTV- The email for Simon.

Date?2014-11-24 23:58:12.436

Hello Simon,

Nice day from Jodie.Hope everything goes on very well with you.

Dear friend,we have been cooperated many orders well in passed years.You are our old valued customer,kindly know you are one of the most polite and humility people, you are kind and professional, Cantonk still keep our best offer and best sincerity for you,also hopely we will have new start to go ahead our cooperation in next future.

But simon, could you please kindly help to delete the announcement which you published on the website before?Thanks Simon's kindness so much.Believe we can solve any question with the best solution.

Cantonk offering more and more new CCTV products with competitive price.Warmly you to test, will try best to offer the best support for you.Thanks for your understanding and kind help again.

Looking forward for your response. Many thanks. Have a nice day.

Thanks&Best Regards

Jodie (MS)

I have underlined the words that I would like to emphasize to people that read this.

If you can decipher the poor english, you would read "Warmly you to test".

I presumed this meant they were offering products for me to test first so I would continue purchasing from them.

My response and conversation continued with...

Subject?Re: Cantonk CCTV- The email for Simon.

Date?2014-11-25 21:01:49.0

What can you offer me

Kind regards,

Simon Merendi

Dear Simon,

Good day.

Many thanks for your response.

Would you like to have new order please? I will try best to get the best discount for you, ok? Or kindly inform me what could i do for you?

Sincerely hope we will start good cooperation from now on. Welcome your new order soonest,make sure will make an application from the manager to offer the best support for you.

Attached our latest price list for your reference. Thanks so much.

Looking forward for your further response.

Thanks&Best Regards

Jodie (MS)

You can send me test samples of products that you think are suitable? as the previous cameras had to many issues, they were very hard to install, they cost me time as the cameras with IR would constantly cause reflection from the IR's at night meaning i have had to go back out take down the camera and replace

Dear Simon,

Thanks so much for your response.

That no problem to send the free sample products for you.

By the way, samples of products that you think are suitable as the previous cameras ,do you mean need several products like your last order's analog cameras to test?

If so, i will make an application from the manager and try best to arrannge the sample products down to the Production department soonest. Please kindly inform me asap ,ok? Thanks again.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your response.

That's ok, here confirm from you again,do you mean to send one hd sdi camera with IR , right?

If so, i would like to recommend one model: KHS-222SHR30 , this one popular with most customers,the quality very well.

If no problem, i will make the application and arrange the order down to the Production department today, ok? Please help to inform me.

Many thanks.

Thanks&Best Regards

Jodie (MS)

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your email.

Attached the PI for your reference. Today will application to arrange the order down to the Production department.

Dear friend, We really have agreed to offer the free product for you and make sure will send it for you asap.Please kindly help to remove the article firstly.

I have made an application and the manager asked need to remove the article now, she will go to check the link.

We promise to send the free camera for you soonest once complete.Kindly help me to remove the article now,ok? Also will try best to offer much more support for you in future.

Thanks Simon kindness so much.

I dont want to boar everyone to death so Ill leave it there, but the emails continued back and forth while obviously getting more and more lost in translation.

I was assumed they were offering me products to test so I would continue purchasing from them. Not only is it impossible for me to remove this post, I never had any intentions to remove this post on their request, as I thought everyone should be warned about their dodgy products.

If anything they were trying to bribe me.

Its quite funny how Cantonk continue to insist that they CMOS boards didnt have a problem and they just need IR to work at night. Biggest load of crap.

I tried to convince them for months that the cameras had an issue, as a last resort I had to dismantle 12 of the cameras and send them back to Cantonk. Finally I got the answer I was looking for from the sales manager.

Dear Simon,

Good day. Sorry for late reply due to there is a meeting with customers this morning.

Thank you for your help and sending these information.

I have sent the picture and video to our R&D check, and they found the version is old one from the OSD menu. So we will change 12pcs new CCD for you, it wil not have the problem you mentioned .

I will ask Jodie send back to you in time. Please install the new CCD in the camera.

We will keep you update once we send back the CCD for you.

Any question please feel free to let me know.

Thank you.

Best regards.

Sincerely Nancy

Sales Manager of Asia Pacific

International Marketing Dept.

Email: nancy@cantonk.cn

So to sum it up, I was right and they were wrong.

The updated boards did show a lot of improvement but they still have they flickering issue just no where near as bad.

Also why would a CMOS board have Day & Night setting options in the OSD if it did not have low lux functionality.

Image of OSD

262616_1.jpg

http://solidgoldsecurity.com.au/wp-content/uploads/cantonk.jpg

Here is a few more video examples of their dodgy cameras.

Eo06DhzUovk

G4iE6eMWrB4

Bravo gz-cctv,

Very good attempt at trying to defame me on this post after I denied your constant requests to remove the post. You have quoted a few paragraphs from dozens of emails between us and then twisted the words and added a few of your own to make me sound like the bad guy which is just rubbish.

This is one of many emails that I received from you that I decided to respond to.

From?Jodie@cantonk.com

Cc?

Subject?Re: Re:Cantonk CCTV- The email for Simon.

Date?2014-11-24 23:58:12.436

Hello Simon,

Nice day from Jodie.Hope everything goes on very well with you.

Dear friend,we have been cooperated many orders well in passed years.You are our old valued customer,kindly know you are one of the most polite and humility people, you are kind and professional, Cantonk still keep our best offer and best sincerity for you,also hopely we will have new start to go ahead our cooperation in next future.

But simon, could you please kindly help to delete the announcement which you published on the website before?Thanks Simon's kindness so much.Believe we can solve any question with the best solution.

Cantonk offering more and more new CCTV products with competitive price.Warmly you to test, will try best to offer the best support for you.Thanks for your understanding and kind help again.

Looking forward for your response. Many thanks. Have a nice day.

Thanks&Best Regards

Jodie (MS)

I have underlined the words that I would like to emphasize to people that read this.

If you can decipher the poor english, you would read "Warmly you to test".

I presumed this meant they were offering products for me to test first so I would continue purchasing from them.

My response and conversation continued with...

Subject?Re: Cantonk CCTV- The email for Simon.

Date?2014-11-25 21:01:49.0

What can you offer me

Kind regards,

Simon Merendi

Dear Simon,

Good day.

Many thanks for your response.

Would you like to have new order please? I will try best to get the best discount for you, ok? Or kindly inform me what could i do for you?

Sincerely hope we will start good cooperation from now on. Welcome your new order soonest,make sure will make an application from the manager to offer the best support for you.

Attached our latest price list for your reference. Thanks so much.

Looking forward for your further response.

Thanks&Best Regards

Jodie (MS)

You can send me test samples of products that you think are suitable? as the previous cameras had to many issues, they were very hard to install, they cost me time as the cameras with IR would constantly cause reflection from the IR's at night meaning i have had to go back out take down the camera and replace

Dear Simon,

Thanks so much for your response.

That no problem to send the free sample products for you.

By the way, samples of products that you think are suitable as the previous cameras ,do you mean need several products like your last order's analog cameras to test?

If so, i will make an application from the manager and try best to arrannge the sample products down to the Production department soonest. Please kindly inform me asap ,ok? Thanks again.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your response.

That's ok, here confirm from you again,do you mean to send one hd sdi camera with IR , right?

If so, i would like to recommend one model: KHS-222SHR30 , this one popular with most customers,the quality very well.

If no problem, i will make the application and arrange the order down to the Production department today, ok? Please help to inform me.

Many thanks.

Thanks&Best Regards

Jodie (MS)

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your email.

Attached the PI for your reference. Today will application to arrange the order down to the Production department.

Dear friend, We really have agreed to offer the free product for you and make sure will send it for you asap.Please kindly help to remove the article firstly.

I have made an application and the manager asked need to remove the article now, she will go to check the link.

We promise to send the free camera for you soonest once complete.Kindly help me to remove the article now,ok? Also will try best to offer much more support for you in future.

Thanks Simon kindness so much.

I dont want to boar everyone to death so Ill leave it there, but the emails continued back and forth while obviously getting more and more lost in translation.

I was assumed they were offering me products to test so I would continue purchasing from them. Not only is it impossible for me to remove this post, I never had any intentions to remove this post on their request, as I thought everyone should be warned about their dodgy products.

If anything they were trying to bribe me.

Its quite funny how Cantonk continue to insist that they CMOS boards didnt have a problem and they just need IR to work at night. Biggest load of crap.

I tried to convince them for months that the cameras had an issue, as a last resort I had to dismantle 12 of the cameras and send them back to Cantonk. Finally I got the answer I was looking for from the sales manager.

Dear Simon,

Good day. Sorry for late reply due to there is a meeting with customers this morning.

Thank you for your help and sending these information.

I have sent the picture and video to our R&D check, and they found the version is old one from the OSD menu. So we will change 12pcs new CCD for you, it wil not have the problem you mentioned .

I will ask Jodie send back to you in time. Please install the new CCD in the camera.

We will keep you update once we send back the CCD for you.

Any question please feel free to let me know.

Thank you.

Best regards.

Sincerely Nancy

Sales Manager of Asia Pacific

International Marketing Dept.

Email: nancy@cantonk.cn

So to sum it up, I was right and they were wrong.

The updated boards did show a lot of improvement but they still have they flickering issue just no where near as bad.

Also why would a CMOS board have Day & Night setting options in the OSD if it did not have low lux functionality.

Image of OSD

262616_1.jpg

http://solidgoldsecurity.com.au/wp-content/uploads/cantonk.jpg

Here is a few more video examples of their dodgy cameras.

Eo06DhzUovk

G4iE6eMWrB4

You lost a lot of money due to the problem which obviously was not caused by you or your power supply , if it was me in your situation I would call it a loss just from my labour of around $4-5000.

Cantonk should have compensated you , it would have been polite if they had given you a couple of thousand worth of stock which to them would only be a cost of maybe $500.

The wording you used sounded like extortion , where really it would have been a clever choice for cantonk to offer products to you as a win - win opportunity for you both.

It is typical from Chinese companies however when they sell you something faulty they duck and run or blame someone else , they just didn't learn yet that if they do the correct honest thing it is a great investment in marketing that can give 5 times increase in popularity that improves many more sales