Sign in to follow this  
CZYXCZZ

DVR failure after power disconnect. Ini,format,other ideas?

I have a home 8/cam security system that has worked well 24/7 for 6 months until there was a power failure in the neighborhood last wed.

heres the situation: The power outage went out 1 mile from my home and came back on a couple hours later.

The dvr then appeard to be working as the green power light came back on and the red recording light did too. It was flashing as it should to indicate it was recording.(but wasnt since not found with a search)

The monitor came back on,but each camera view only said something on the order of "loss of power"

INITIALIZE

I unplugged the whole unit from power to re initialize the cameras and it did go through that process,but when it was finished the recording light no longer flashed as it had been and was simply just on steadily and cameras were still out.

FORMAT DVR

i was able to access the menu with the mouse and display it on the monitor. i went from MENU>DEVICE >HDD FORMAT,checking the 500 G box then > FORMAT HDD.

While it was in the formatting mode, the red recording light on the dvr begins flashing ,but when the formatting completed, the dvr red light stopped flashing and reverts to the steady non flash mode indicating nothing was corrected with this step either.

REMOVE BATTERY FROM DVR INNARDS TO RESET

removed battery for 24 hr.reinstalled correctly. corrected nothing.

Any explanations of what may have happened

is there anything /steps suggested that may help beyond what Ive listed?

Oh FYI,its a bunker hill 500GB 8 cam capacity but only 4 cams hooked up at this point

Thx

can anyone recommend me to a forum where I can get this issue rolling along? I know absolutely nothing about home security,other than what I learned from setting it up with the instructions and few misc googling. Thanx

can anyone recommend me to a forum where I can get this issue rolling along? I know absolutely nothing about home security,other than what I learned from setting it up with the instructions and few misc googling. Thanx

You have not said what your problem is

If you are worried about the red light ... That could just be something as simple as setting your motion or alarm ... As the power cut could of reset it.

But you also say cameras don't display ...... So you rebooted ..... What you have not said after that is if your cameras came back on or not ..... You just went back to your red light problem.

You have not said what your problem is

If you are worried about the red light ... That could just be something as simple as setting your motion or alarm ... As the power cut could of reset it.

But you also say cameras don't display ...... So you rebooted ..... What you have not said after that is if your cameras came back

on or not ..... You just went back to your red light problem.

===================================

Oh Ok recording and cameras no longer work.

Hi. Recordings won't work and cameras don't ......... But you can get into menu of recorder.

Then I would say your cameras power supply has gone

Hi. Recordings won't work and cameras don't ......... But you can get into menu of recorder.

Then I would say your cameras power supply has gone

and the recording capability.

I had a surge protector inline,but it didnt prevent the surge that killed the IP cameras and dvd. Is there a surge protector that is more reliable? Assuming that is what occured

This is going a long post ...... Read your first post ...... DVR works

Now it's not ??

Can you get to the recorder menu like you have said ??

Now your talking IP cameras ....... Then you have a NVR not a dvr.

Are your cameras POE or separate power.

This is going a long post ...... Read your first post ...... DVR works

Now it's not ??

ME:It has not worked(recording and cameras) since the power outage.

QUOTE After the power returned "The dvr then APPEARED to be working as the green power light came back on and the red recording light did too. It was flashing as it should to indicate it was recording.(BUT WASN"T since not found with a search)" Recordings had all been lost since the power failure

Tom :This is going a long post

ME: My only prior experience with electronics has been connecting speaker wires to a simple stereo. I did explain this is my first security device and this is the first electronics problem Ive ever discussed with anyone,so youre likely to find many statements and assumptions i make confusing. Only slightly better than me discussing car mechanics with a wife who only knows how to turn on the key & drive

Tom-Can you get to the recorder menu like you have said ??

Me- I can access the menu on screen,but I find that resetting and formatting does not make the cameras or recording modes work. The DVR has never fully worked since the power outage.

Tom-Now your talking IP cameras ....... Then you have a NVR not a dvr.

ME-Well ,It was a typo for IR .The instruction sheet says i have a DVR. So DVR it is what is is

TOM Are your cameras POE or separate power.

ME There is no mention in my instruction sheet of POE. They are 12v per instruction sheet

This is how I see your problem

Your dvr is working but not displaying your cameras ?

Forget about the red light and formatting all the time

Your dvr has a power supply and that works

Your cameras also have a power supply .... It that working ??

This is how I see your problem

Your dvr is working but not displaying your cameras ?

Me-Correct and just to test if the recording function works, it will not go into record when I manually push the record button.Then maybe its not designed to record when the cameras dont work..

Forget about the red light and formatting all the time

Your dvr has a power supply and that works

ME-Yes

Your cameras also have a power supply .... It that working ??

Me-Yes